Giving up on an Escape 19... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
We stopped at a Toyota dealer tonight (a good night for a test drive -- we had a good snow blow going through) and looked at the tacoma, highlander and venza. I think my tastes run more to the tacoma than the highlander. I expect the highlander has a more comfortable ride, but it seems to be optimized for moving lots of people, while I'm more interested in moving lots of stuff. The venza can be equipped to pull 3500lbs, but just comes across as the poor cousin to the highlander.

Now I just have to get over the fact that a well equipped tacoma costs more and has poorer fuel economy than an F-150...
Hi: dbailey...Should I say... check out a Nissan Frontier. They are less $$$'s than Taco's and just as good!!! IMHO. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #22

Doug,
I have owned 4 Ford SUV's, a Totota 4runner, and a Nissan Xterra currently. These trucks are all great fror trailering.
My current Xterra is rated at 5000# and pulls my heavily loaded / optioned 19 well. It is available basic and fits much better than a F150 in the garage. Check it out.

Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
I know the honda pilot 2WD is 3500 but the AWD touring is 4300 towing I think. You can double check if interested. Just another idea for the no truck route. Jeep grand cherokee V8 would do it too. Good Luck.
The 4WD is 4,500 lb towing, Ours does a great job pulling the 19 with ease.

I do have a pickup for work, but much prefer the flexibility of using an SUV for towing the trailer. A nicer runaround vehicle when not hooked up due to the covered storage, and slightly better fuel economy. Who knows, maybe when I retire and sell the big truck, I might want a small pickup, all depending on lifestyle. For the carrying capacity, a nice small utility trailer would do the job fine though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #24

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19'
When I bought my 19' I already owned a Nissan Xterra. I found that it was underpowered even though rated at 5000lb. The gas mileage while towing was poor and not that great in every day use. Plus it was too small inside.

I replaced it with a Honda Pilot 4WD. I don't notice the 500 lb decrease in tow rating. It has more power than the Nissan and lots more interior room. I almost bought the Highlander. IMO it had less interior room but more power.

I expect to keep this trailer through multiple TVs and I am always looking at the balance between daily driving and vacation towing. Since I drive short distances daily, I am willing to use my TV. If I have to drive further everyday, I would likely buy a sedan for daily use and a older Yukon for towing. A friend went the Yukon route and while he gets poor daily mileage, towing doesn't hit him as badly.
2006 Irish Terrier
Arathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Do not forget the Toyota FJ Cruiser....it pulls the 19' fine and has the larger v-6 motor.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
So I think I can officially change the title of this thread... I've seen a number of options that can pull a 19 that I can live with. Definitely not feeling so down about this. A lot of that comes from the positive attitude on this forum, so my thanks to everybody.

On the other hand, maybe I don't want to change the title. Thinking about smaller tow vehicles has forced us to think about smaller trailers, and we've recognized that for our style of trailering, there are certain definite advantages to giving up a bathroom. Recognizing this feels somewhat liberating. (On the other other hand, what we've done in the past isn't necessarily an indication of the future -- I would like to explore some more boon-docky camping in the future, and a black water tank would be useful for that.)

So what's on my list now? Well, the different Toyota's are winning by default, simply because I haven't looked beyond them yet. I'm aware that many consider the frontier a good alternative to the tacoma, so I will research that along with the colorado. And the highlander has competition in the pilot, explorer, traverse, etc. And there's a few others to look at such as the flex. Throw away my big truck spread sheet and start another one. So, back to the intertubes...

Again, thanks everybody!

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Doug, I think you are over analyzing things....

....welcome to the club.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Doug, I think you are over analyzing things....

....welcome to the club.

Really? Me?

I freely acknowledge that I *like* to over analyze things. I'm a designer by nature, and I like to think through all the use cases ahead of time and try to find the optimal solution. What was happening here is that there isn't an optimal solution, and I was getting frustrating banging my head against the problem. Recognizing that there wasn't an optimal solution was a definite epiphany in the last couple of days, and has freed me from looking for the best solution. I'll settle for a good solution.

But you can bet I'll analyze that good solution to within an inch of its life! 8)

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #29

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Doug, I don't know the numbers of the fuel mileage of the vehicles in question, but I do know that there is often a big difference in advertised fuel mileage and real world mileage. This also seems to be a area where peoples math skills seem a little questionable, I guess my sugestion would be to try and ask some honest owners of the vehicles on your short list what they truly get for mileage.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #30

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19'
I fully agree. I have recorded 23 mpg on the highway in my Pilot when not towing and 13 mpg while towing. That was kind of a surprise for me but that is the effect of overworking a 6 cylinder.

2006 Irish Terrier
Arathar is offline   Reply With Quote