Go big on your tow vehicle...seriously folks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
A lot of people like myself came into towing a trailer with no prior experience. My experience is towing a 17B first with a Murano, which didn't have a tow package, and when sensing it might not be all that great invested in a Highlander. Then four months later a 21 popped up on a revised production list. While I know people using a "Mid-Size" V-6 SUV I am glad we bit the bullet for a Yukon SLT as we drive a lot of mountain grades. Like Monitor Pass- 8 mile 8% grade. Hwy 50 from Montrose to Gunnison had our trans temp go to 225 with outside air at 65.

For those who tow mainly in the flats I would agree that safety is not much of a concern and it is more of how much do you want to work.

The real question here it seems to me for those contemplating both the 21 and 5.0TA is what percentage of owners use a Full-Size vs. not.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hey Jim- was enjoying a nice civilized discussion, now you come with your full flailing defense mode and end it pointing fingers. Disrepectful? You're just trying to shut Mark down when there was some respectful back & forth. Just because you are a moderator doesn't give you like license to slam and ridicule people. How about backing off for a change?
Hi: Rossue... Every one has had their say about our combo. I never got any feed back from the readers of Trailer Life saying I couldn't tow a 5.0TA with my truck. So far I'm glad I didn't trade her in for a Titan and price wise the new Titan diesel is way past my ability to own one.
As the song says "Love the one your with"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
20160216_175752.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Jim that's not "afterglow"
That's a cloud of diesel and Mark going up a hill passing everyone. [emoji23]

Cheers
Doug
That was FUNNY

Jim was the one using the D word at Mark with no basis other than he evidently and not surprisingly didn't like his post.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Don't recall seeing many (any?) molded fiberglass trailers crawling in the slow lanes; they are usually either motorhomes or giant sun-blocker trailers.....

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 19'
ETI was known as a builder of small light trailers. This forum and ETI now encourages 2 footitis and purchasing the high profit 21 and 5th wheel. Those big boxes can be filled easily and are no longer 'light' trailers.

To me this discussion should be that, openly sharing ideas, but the site team continues to perpetuate the myths they believe are truths. I encourage them to limit their posts and let the members exchange ideas without the heavy handed responses immediately to every post.

Site Team, notice how many times you jump in immediately and contol the conversation. Please back off and stop driving users that don't share your views into being frustrated 'lurkers' .... Like me.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
That was FUNNY

Jim was the one using the D word at Mark with no basis other than he evidently and not surprisingly didn't like his post.

I think his post rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, myself included. Everyone's choice of tow vehicles is just that their choice. This should be respected just as their particular choice of trailer.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #27

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
I knew this was a hot topic when I started the thread. Yes, you can find it archived but that's a pain and not always current. FYI folks, the manufacturers' tow ratings were not standardized until approx. 2015 so everything to date is advertising and arbitrary. I think we all tend to want our vehicles to fit in a garage, get great mileage, tow our Escape etc. My point is don't exclude other factors such as brake size and type, cooling capacity, wheel base, vehicle track/width, frame construction (if any) etc. To focus on "max tow ratings" so specifically is naive...way too many metrics involved to settle on a single number. By the way, I'm no lead foot and if I thought my Frontier was suitable I would use it, but it is not up to the task like my old GMC.
M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Go big on your tow vehicle...seriously folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
ETI was known as a builder of small light trailers. This forum and ETI now encourages 2 footitis and purchasing the high profit 21 and 5th wheel. Those big boxes can be filled easily and are no longer 'light' trailers.

To me this discussion should be that, openly sharing ideas, but the site team continues to perpetuate the myths they believe are truths. I encourage them to limit their posts and let the members exchange ideas without the heavy handed responses immediately to every post.

Site Team, notice how many times you jump in immediately and contol the conversation. Please back off and stop driving users that don't share your views into being frustrated 'lurkers' .... Like me.

Darn now I never thought of my pride and joy (Escape 5.0TA) as a "Big Box" but more as one of the smallest and lightest 5th wheels on the market.
Still thinking about not letting evil site team have their opinions the same as everyone else, nope that won't work in my mind. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Glenn, Jim and other site team members contributions are always appreciated by me.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
That was FUNNY

Hi: Rossue... Down here in Gulf St. Pk. Ala... is the land of mega rigs towed by some very "Serious trucks". The noise level from the diesels haulin' by is LOUD as we are on site #1 just inside the park gate house. They all slow down and some even do a double take going past. "Why looky thar hun...It's a tiny 5th. wheel".
Can't remember how many tours we've given now. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

this is funny.

This is my first post in this thread.

Glenn posted: Depends if you have to park it at Safeway.

Jim posted: I think Mark is so happy with his new Escape and the way it tows that he feels he has, like many of us feel, the perfect combo. Being new to both Escape and the forum he may not be aware of past discussions. Let him bask in the afterglow we all have experienced and perhaps later others will report their own towing experiences also. Happiness is contagious....

I think someone is confused. Glad it's not me...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The moderators here, baglo, Jim and Donna, are firstly contributing members, and secondly part of the site team. I could not imagine they would want to be moderators if not allowed to participate. I have not been in full agreement with what they have said on occasion, things they have every right to post, but that is what good discussion involves. (Don't tell them, but there is a chance they might have been right ) Heck, pretty sure they don't always agree with each other on what they post either. BUT, I still have great respect for each of them, and for how they keep the site running smoothly.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
this is funny.

This is my first post in this thread.

Glenn posted: Depends if you have to park it at Safeway.

Jim posted: I think Mark is so happy with his new Escape and the way it tows that he feels he has, like many of us feel, the perfect combo. Being new to both Escape and the forum he may not be aware of past discussions. Let him bask in the afterglow we all have experienced and perhaps later others will report their own towing experiences also. Happiness is contagious....

I think someone is confused. Glad it's not me...
I know, eh? I was wondering the same thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
I like having this type of discussion. I think that the new Tundras are almost the same size as my old Ram. My daughters both drive Ford F-150's and they take up as much room in my drive way as does my 13 year old Dodge. My truck just has a bigger engine, brakes and axles. Come to think of it, it even has a smaller cab. Did I buy it to tow my trailer, no. It's left over from my truck camper days. No rust, no squeaks and no payments. Unless I get into a accident this 5.9 liter oil burning 1 ton chunk of George W. Bush era sheet metal (built in Mexico) should last me another decade. Peace, Scott

Side note, last fall when we were refueling in Tok a very nice couple who had been hosting the Byers Lake campground were heading south ahead of the coming winter. They were hauling a 26' Jayco 5th wheel with a Ford ranger. We just looked at each other and shook our heads.

Scott and Lori
I like bikes better than automobiles
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Too many Jim's are causing cross posting by the members here Just call me Old Jim and Jim B- baldy...
not sure if I was being slammed or you Jim B but I'm sure everything will work it's way out.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just crawled out of bed and am half way through my first cup of coffee.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #37
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
...I also have a 2005 Nissan Frontier LX 4x4 with a 4 liter V-6 and the thought of towing our 21 with the Nissan is disturbing.

...Fuel economy with the diesel (15 mpg over 1,300 miles from Chilliwack) is easily double the Nissan towing the same rig.
I tow with an 06 Frontier V6 LE 4x2 (manual), and I get 13-17mpg while towing my 19. I don't think that a 21 would take the MPG all the way down to 7.5mpg. I haven't ever felt like the Frontier wasn't going to make it up a steep hill, and heavy braking always works incredibly well (Tekonsha P3 brake controller installed, along with Power Stop drilled/slotted rotors).

Once the trailer was fully loaded with all of my and my wife's possessions, I had it weighed at a Flying J truck stop - 3,800lbs. It still handles exactly as I'd expect a trailer to.

I think logic would dictate that a bigger truck would be better all around, but I've found that my 06 Frontier works perfectly fine. There are other threads stating that you should only buy a new vehicle to tow a trailer - I bought this one with 128k and no service receipts, and it's still working fine.

I think it all just boils down to personal preference and how comfortable you want your tow vehicle to be.

Quote:
+1
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #38

Peace

Ok- Jim Bennett and I had a cyber-hug and have come to a better understanding as there is never a substitute for speaking in front of someone to get the nuances and body language.

Oh, and I'm invited to his daughter's wedding- uh, actually his TA's christening
Attached Thumbnails
Boat.jpeg  
Old 02-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #39

I was worried Ross might go for a cyber-kiss, so the hug was quite welcomed.

I would love to have everyone on here for a Christening party of my new trailer.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I would love to have everyone on here for a Christening party of my new trailer.
When will that be Jim, we plan a western trip next year, will have to fit that in

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote