Go big on your tow vehicle...seriously folks - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
I am currently looking for a tow vehicle to tow my new 2016 5.0 ta that i'm picking up
the 3rd week in March. I have to ask if the 2016 v-6
Tacoma is big enough to pull the
5.0 or just too small.
As I was not really considering the Tacoma, I never followed the threads talking about it real closely, but I think the issue with it was the payload capacity not being high enough, not the tow capacity. I am sure someone here knows the specs better. Nice sized truck though, it would be nice if it would work.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
I am currently looking for a tow vehicle to tow my new 2016 5.0 ta that i'm picking up
the 3rd week in March. I have to ask if the 2016 v-6
Tacoma is big enough to pull the
5.0 or just too small.
Better clarify- you mean 5.0 TA, correct?

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 5.0 ta 2016 Iwanna/2007 Casita SD 17ft-sold
yes, sorry, I do mean the 5.0 TA, The new vehicle will be my daily driver as well. Just trying to get the best possible fit. I do want to try to get the longer bed on whatever truck I end up with so I don't have to worry about turning and backing. Really just got out today to begin
the search. In the town I live in no longer beds were available, have to search out of town.
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
On your test drive, take it to some of the places you normally visit, like the mall, with the incredible shrinking parking spaces.
I watched a long-bed, four door Ford try to park next to me. There were two open spaces on my left. No matter how she approached them, her vehicle could not make the turn into the spot without hitting my rear. There simply wasn't enough space in the driving lane to move wide to make the turn.
If she had managed to get into the spot and somebody parked next to her, she wouldn't have been able to leave.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I have seen more than one runaway ramp that was used and always wondered why there wasn't a portable toilet at the end of it. If you need the ramp, you're going to need the other. Loren
Reminds me once coming home , going through the mountains , listening on CB to a young trucker having trouble with his Semi , brakes overheated . Many experienced truckers talking him down the mountain . He was somewhere in front of us . Thank God he made it . Lots of gears in those trucks . Have trailer brakes and the semi cab also has brakes but experienced truckers use gears , more then one gear box to slow down not the brakes because they will overheat with the weight they are caring pushing them down the mountains . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
On your test drive, take it to some of the places you normally visit, like the mall, with the incredible shrinking parking spaces.
I watched a long-bed, four door Ford try to park next to me. There were two open spaces on my left. No matter how she approached them, her vehicle could not make the turn into the spot without hitting my rear. There simply wasn't enough space in the driving lane to move wide to make the turn.
If she had managed to get into the spot and somebody parked next to her, she wouldn't have been able to leave.
I never hesitate to take my big truck to a mall. I learned ages ago that backing in was the best, and sometimes only, way to get it in. Once parked, I always use the power folding feature on both my trucks mirrors to give folks room. Incredible shrinking parking spaces, I like that, and they certainly are. In a few case I just go to the outer limits of the lot, which is usually good except Christmas time.

Still, it is much nicer with a smaller vehicle, that is for certain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Since I don't have a dog in this online "fight" err online debate it has been an entertaining Saturday afternoon read, especially reading the suggestion that a porta-pottie be placed at the end of runaway lanes. That being said the following two quotes make reading the Tread very worthwhile:

Quote ---------

Jim Bennett - 56
On the subject of braking with regards to travel trailers, almost everyone I have spoken to adjusts their brakes to offer less braking than what is set up following the brake controller instructions. This is mostly because they feel uncomfortable with the pulling feeling of the trailer, which when brakes are applied in some circumstances does feel a bit jerky. This lower setting does put more reliance on the tow vehicle brakes, and in this case larger, stronger brakes would be better to have. However, if properly adjusted, trailer brakes will apply pretty much all the stopping power needed to stop the trailer, leaving the tow vehicle brakes unaffected by breaking the combined units.

Pailin - post 58
Speaking of Wolf Creek Pass, did it in late Sept, about 1/2 way down you could see where a dualie had been trying to keep it on the road in the turns. Could also see how the driver tried to make the runaway ramp, unsuccessfully. Highway patrol was just putting up the barricades across the lookout for the recovery to start as we went by.

That was our first experience with mountain passes in the west. Took the rest of the day for my hands to regain circulation. So glad I had had new rotors and pads installed just before our trip.

------------ endQuote

Last Year, we had overheated brakes because we had not set our brake controller at a sufficiently aggressive level. We were new to towing and were trying to do everything correctly. We now know better!!!

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop", sold Coleman pop up
I suspect there is no porta-potty at the end of the runaway ramp because by then it would be too late!
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #69

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
While I feel a little "overwhelmed" by the "Big Truck" crowd requirements, I (along with Glenn) tow an Escape 17B with a RAV4. I'm within the published limits of the tow vehicle (just), and have towed it over 75,000 miles over the last 5 years. While I'll admit that I do sometimes slow down on passes, passes are less than .001% of the miles I drive. The 15MPG I get towing isn't much better than many are getting with their larger trucks, however my RAV4 has 130,000 miles on it; almost 1/2 my driving is without the trailer at which time I average 24 - 25 highway & 19 - 20 city MPG. Diesel is a 20 - 25% premium in NY + I'm allergic to the liquid fuel, so I'll stick with gas.

As to expecting it to last 12 - 15 years, it isn't going to happen. Living in the northeast with tons of salt on the roads every winter, along with putting an average of 20,000+ miles per year on the vehicle means I'll probably be looking for a replacement in the near future. While I can't make it another RAV4 (they dropped the V6 in 2013) I'm not ready for a 350 truck...
Old 02-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #70

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
A possible compromise might be the new Nissan Titan XD. It has 550 lbs of torq, and a capacity in the 2000 lbs range. I have test drove it twice, and am considering it for my 5.0 TA. I love my RAM 1500, but the limitation is the GVWR, with pin weight, two adults, a dog, and all our junk, we are up against the limit...not a good feeling.

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote