Go big on your tow vehicle...seriously folks - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think the usability of a big pickup depends heavily on your location. I understand baglo's ponit about small and shrinking parking spaces in the Vancouver area; they are typically much smaller than spaces in Edmonton or Calgary.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
A possible compromise might be the new Nissan Titan XD. It has 550 lbs of torq, and a capacity in the 2000 lbs range. I have test drove it twice, and am considering it for my 5.0 TA. I love my RAM 1500, but the limitation is the GVWR, with pin weight, two adults, a dog, and all our junk, we are up against the limit...not a good feeling.
Yes, the Titan XD is intended by Nissan as a choice between the usual "half-tons" and the usual "3/4 tons". In fact, a properly equipped Ford F-150 has the same payload and is also a valid choice (although not available in diesel, if this matters to you). It would be desirable to avoid having to go all the way to the really massive "3/4 ton"... but a Titan XD is a hefty thing itself.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Lots of gears in those trucks . Have trailer brakes and the semi cab also has brakes but experienced truckers use gears , more then one gear box to slow down not the brakes because they will overheat with the weight they are caring pushing them down the mountains .
True, big trucks depend on engine braking for the sustained retarding force needed to contain speed on long descents... and we can and should be doing the same thing. Generally, brakes are to reduce speed and engine braking is to keep speed from increasing during a descent. Any tug with enough engine to pull the trailer up a grade at a reasonable speed should have enough engine to provide the needed engine braking to go down the other side of the mountain without concerns with overheating the brakes (of either the tug or the trailer).

Big trucks have lots of gear ratios so they can always get the engine close to the desired speed, because they have so little power compared to their mass. This is really for engine performance, but is helpful for braking, too. Those big rigs are all diesels, and a diesel needs a compression brake or exhaust brake (two different things) - or a hydraulic retarder such as those from ZF or Voith - to be able to provide useful engine braking; small diesels (such as those in any pickup) only have various forms of exhaust brake. A gasoline engine engine brakes effectively by just closing the throttle (that is, letting up on the accelerator pedal).
Old 02-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Looking at the spec's for the 21' Escape and comparing to the TA, I estimate my pin weight to be 760 lbs in the bed for 3800# over the axle, which is what BlackJack weighed. I had 500# on the bumper with BlackJack. Does this extra 260# in the bed, over the tow vehicle axle vs on the bumper impact any? I'd like to think not. With 1350# payload limit, I still have 600# left. I know I had 250# in the bed while towing but will not be able to carry much with the 5th wheel hitch, so I see little or no difference. Nothing to upgrade to another truck.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I reside in Colorado, live at 8600', and pull my Escape 19 with a 6 yr old Tacoma.

I won't set land speed records; but it's rare that I can't break the speed limit pulling the trailer uphill. When it comes time to buy another vehicle, I'll consider full size; but I'll also consider another Tacoma or similar sized vehicle. I'm going to buy the vehicle that's best for the 90% of the time I'm not pulling the trailer.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Looking at the spec's for the 21' Escape and comparing to the TA, I estimate my pin weight to be 760 lbs in the bed for 3800# over the axle, which is what BlackJack weighed. I had 500# on the bumper with BlackJack. Does this extra 260# in the bed, over the tow vehicle axle vs on the bumper impact any? I'd like to think not. With 1350# payload limit, I still have 600# left. I know I had 250# in the bed while towing but will not be able to carry much with the 5th wheel hitch, so I see little or no difference. Nothing to upgrade to another truck.
This logic all makes sense to me. By coincidence, you may end up with the same rear axle load with the 5.0TA pin over the axle as you did with the 21' tongue on the bumper, meaning no more rear GAWR capacity is needed. The extra 260 pounds adds to GVW (and is carried on the front axle), and for some light trucks owners that means running out of GVWR, but you've addressed that in the payload calculation. The total of truck and trailer is also up, but almost no one runs out of GCWR with a full-sized truck.

On the other hand...
Some people have more than 760 pounds on the pin, and many people would have more than 600 pounds of people and cargo in the truck, so they would need more capacity. That still doesn't mean that a Ram 2500 is needed, and the 2500's standard engine is the same 5.7 Hemi as in a 1500.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape 5.0 ta 2016 Iwanna/2007 Casita SD 17ft-sold
The Chevy Silverado that I looked at today was a v-8 so no power problem, as also with
the Ford 150 v-6 3.5 engine. The problem with both trucks was the bed. Only 5 foot bed.
That does not give much wiggle room for the 5.0 TA Would it work? Both dealerships did
not think so.
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape 21
This is a weird thread

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
The Chevy Silverado that I looked at today was a v-8 so no power problem, as also with
the Ford 150 v-6 3.5 engine. The problem with both trucks was the bed. Only 5 foot bed.
That does not give much wiggle room for the 5.0 TA Would it work? Both dealerships did
not think so.

Reace has a Ford shorty and it works fine.

Dealers don't know about our little trailers.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:42 PM   #80

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
I am currently looking for a tow vehicle to tow my new 2016 5.0 ta that i'm picking up
the 3rd week in March. I have to ask if the 2016 v-6
Tacoma is big enough to pull the
5.0 or just too small.
When I was considering a new TV a few months ago, I considered the Tacoma v6...liked it a lot, but then I got into the 2016 Tacoma rear drum brakes versus disc brakes debate and ruled it out eventually as a TV for my needs...interesting while researching that debate, the Tacoma factory man/design mgr/engineer/whatever said towing was not a priority for Tacoma buyers so it was not high on the priority list in the 2016 design decisions....ended up with a full size truck with 8 speed tranny with smooth shift points for a reasonable trailer, big disc brakes front and rear and a large rear differential, etc...besides the engine these seemed to be important drive train parts that do all the work for a "long term" haul. This decision was also based on blowing a transmission and rear differential on a previous part time TV that worked fine (all within spec) for several thousand miles then left the tranny/rear end at a mechanics shop along with a few thousand $. Not sure the auto manufacturers make things as beefy as they used to..personal preference is to go a bit over the "adequate and within spec" position and will loaf along rather than have an unforeseen heart attack pulling a trailer....lastly the price delta was not that great ..a new 2016 Tacoma price was pretty close to the year end closeout discounted price for 2015 full size trucks so that pretty much sealed the deal. There was one other 2015 thing, GM and Ram joined Ford and dropped the previous std 5 yr 100k warranty to just 3 yr 60k for gas engine trucks for 2016 model year and later....after all that would rather have a root canal than buy a new vehicle again anytime soon....deciding and buying a trailer is close but not quite as bad so far...after a life in tech, just have to grin a bit as some rv trailer "engineering" today reminds me of the beginning scene in the movie 2001.

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote