Go big on your tow vehicle...seriously folks - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Glad to see there is peace.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Just a thought...

Just a thought, to stir the pot. For the 5th wheel and 21 owners out there. Are the “Heavy Duty” trucks built better? Maybe I just got lucky but my current vehicle is still rock solid after 13 years of use. My neighbor is running a 12-year-old 2500 duramax and after hauling a goose neck trailer up and down the Mcarthy Road on countless trips is still in excellent shape. I’m kind of sold on the “Heavy Duties” for longevity. Okay, off to have the dog take me for a walk. Scott

(Quick edit, this is just for pick ups, we also own a Santa Fe that has been a great car)

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I cannot really comment on whether they are built better, however we are glad we ended up getting an F-150 to tow our 5.0 "classic." We originally planned to get a Tacoma or Frontier. I have no worries about power to tow, have been over a few minor passes in NM and AZ (we're now in Tucson) and the mileage is little reduced towing from non-towing. I felt confident the other day to tow about 40 minutes into Tucson without trailer brakes (problem with controller - getting it fixed here), hardly felt any different stopping I just left a little extra room ahead of me

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
It's about safety and ultimately what is your budget for that? I've seen countless vehicles with trailers crawling up steep grades posing a significant hazard to others who had to maneuver around them.
I suppose, then, that every commercial truck (the "big rigs", "semis", or whatever you want to call real Class 8 trucks with tens of tons of trailer) is a hazard... because they are all snail-slow up a significant grade compared to our rigs, since they don't have the thousands of horsepower they would need to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
I guess if I was to follow your logic to it's completion I would be pulling my 17B with my 500 HP Mack truck.
That seems to be the theme of many of these "get a big truck" topics. By the way, that 500 hp Mack is slow up a hill compared to a 300 hp SUV, because the Mack weighs so much (8 to 10 tons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
That's a cloud of diesel and Mark going up a hill passing everyone. [emoji23]
Hmm... but when my minivan and 17-foot trailer have encountered diesel pickups and their trailers on mountain grades, I'm always the one doing the passing. Since my minivan is over a decade old, it is behind the times and has much less engine power than current offerings.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
ETI was known as a builder of small light trailers. This forum and ETI now encourages 2 footitis and purchasing the high profit 21 and 5th wheel. Those big boxes can be filled easily and are no longer 'light' trailers.
  • Members can make the own interpretations of forum and manufacturer messages, but some things are simply facts:
  • Escapes and the other moulded fiberglass trailers have never been exceptionally light for their size - they're just smaller.
  • The original Escape model was the 17 Foot, and it is has never been dropped from production. You can still buy one with the same waiting time as other models, at a lower price than any other model.
  • Even the Escape 21 Foot is still modest in size compared to the range of sizes from other brands of conventionally towed travel trailers.
  • The Escape 5.0TA is the largest and heaviest Escape offering ever made, and yet is the lightest and smallest fifth-wheel travel trailer sold in North America.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I have thought a few times that a more powerful vehicle might make sense, but the comfort of our Highlander is important, and if it means going a little slower in the Rockies then so be it. Most of the time we're not climbing mountains.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I cannot really comment on whether they are built better, however we are glad we ended up getting an F-150 to tow our 5.0 "classic." We originally planned to get a Tacoma or Frontier. I have no worries about power to tow, have been over a few minor passes in NM and AZ (we're now in Tucson) and the mileage is little reduced towing from non-towing. I felt confident the other day to tow about 40 minutes into Tucson without trailer brakes (problem with controller - getting it fixed here), hardly felt any different stopping I just left a little extra room ahead of me

Adrian
Something to share . Linda reminded me of her daughter and her Ford Expedition . No towing ever, just kids . Know it is a truck under the SUV which means more weight then regular pickup . Don't forget the stuff you can put in there , more weight . To make a long story short -brakes constantly needing to be replaced . The point being for that peculiar SUV , so much weight to stop ,brakes failing because of that weight I would think . Hope Ford is using better brakes today . Brakes being able to stop kind of important . I own a Ford truck , always have .Looks to me you need to keep moving up today to get what you use to get . I also noticed those who think you can go small , most have big trucks including the owner . Make your own conclusions . Just be safe for yourself and everyone around you . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Just a thought, to stir the pot. For the 5th wheel and 21 owners out there. Are the “Heavy Duty” trucks built better? Maybe I just got lucky but my current vehicle is still rock solid after 13 years of use. My neighbor is running a 12-year-old 2500 duramax and after hauling a goose neck trailer up and down the Mcarthy Road on countless trips is still in excellent shape. I’m kind of sold on the “Heavy Duties” for longevity.!
I would be very disappointed in a vehicle of any size and type which was not still rock solid after only 12 or 13 years (assuming no significant collisions)... expectations vary.

I don't know of any reason to expect a "heavy-duty" pickup to be any built any better than any other size of pickup. Also, a "heavy duty" truck is much larger than any pickup - all pickups (like anything sensible for towing an Escape) are just light trucks.

Anyway, the difference between the "half-ton" class (Chev/GMC 1500, Ram 1500, Ford F-150, Toyota anything, Nissan anything) and the "3/4 ton" class (Chev/GMC 2500, Ram 2500, Ford F-250) is just component size. Vehicles designed for higher loads have stronger parts (bigger frames, larger axles, bigger cooling system, etc) but there is no reason for any difference in quality. The same engineers and accountants at Ford who spec'd an inadequate swaybar end link that failed on my Focus also spec'd the inadequate front-end parts which disintegrate on F-SuperDuty pickups... and in both cases most of the rest of the vehicle is fine.

The bigger pickups have their frequent mechanical failures like any other vehicle... but more expensively. Of course, if you buy a truck designed to carry a ton and tow ten tons, then use it as a commuter car (as many of them are), it should last better than a truck designed to carry half a ton and tow five tons but used right to its limit.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Hmm... but when my minivan and 17-foot trailer have encountered diesel pickups and their trailers on mountain grades, I'm always the one doing the passing. Since my minivan is over a decade old, it is behind the times and has much less engine power than current offerings.
Brian, out of all of the cars and trucks that I have owned over the years, the Dodge Caravan that I used to haul my old tent camper was my favorite. Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I suppose, then, that every commercial truck (the "big rigs", "semis", or whatever you want to call real Class 8 trucks with tens of tons of trailer) is a hazard... because they are all snail-slow up a significant grade compared to our rigs, since they don't have the thousands of horsepower they would need to keep up.

That seems to be the theme of many of these "get a big truck" topics. By the way, that 500 hp Mack is slow up a hill compared to a 300 hp SUV, because the Mack weighs so much (8 to 10 tons).

Brian having truckers in the family . I know stay away from big trucks including semi 's . They lose their brakes all the time . What do you think the runaway ramps are for ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian having truckers in the family . I know stay away from big trucks including semi 's . They lose their brakes all the time . What do you think the runaway ramps are for ? Pat
Interesting - I don't have any truckers in the family, but in three decades of driving through mountains on vacations I've never seen a runaway lane that appeared to have been used, and only heard of it on the news a couple of times (yes, I know what they're for). I'm not so worried about the trucks and would rather drive among them than with most of the amateurs... but more importantly, this is unrelated to speed climbing hills, right? The big rigs are slow up them, and as long as everyone drives responsibly we all get where we're going without that causing a problem. If some Escape owner's reasonable tow vehicle can't pull the Escape up a mountain pass a Mach 2, no one is in danger because of it, and a 400+ horsepower pickup truck is not required.

In many mountain areas the uphill sections have an extra lane to allow faster traffic to pass those vehicles which are slow because they are heavy - whether they are commercial trucks or RVs. I think that the bigger risk of holding up traffic and causing the impatient to take excessive passing risks is on descents and in curves, where speed has nothing to do with power, and highway designers have not allowed for unreasonable obstruction to traffic flow.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The problem we have on the east coast is salt, salt on the roads for snow removal and ice and salt from being close to the ocean. Salt plays havoc with metal and after 5-8 years rust spots will start to appear. I think most people here get rid of vehicles not because of wearing out, but from rusting out.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W.Deters View Post
Here's a visual: Cowboys on Shetland ponies, that's adequate right? And no, not everybody is right on this issue. It's about safety and ultimately what is your budget for that? I've seen countless vehicles with trailers crawling up steep grades posing a significant hazard to others who had to maneuver around them. We do have a responsibility to others who share the road, indifference to them is dangerous. Hey "just go around" is plain bad manners.
Again, IF you meet the weight requirements ---- I suspect you are talking about situations where they were not met. If I have people behind on a one lane road, I either speed up or pull off the road to let others by. If there are other lanes to pass, they can pass. Ask a person towing if he knows his GCWR and GVWR and actual capacity and you will find that many do not.

Now, as never before, however, there are towing tests to compare ability among manufacturers and they are using those for towing capacity. When they say that your vehicle can tow 5000 lbs., your vehicle can tow 5000 lbs., including up steep grades.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Runaway lane

Saw my first evidence of a runaway lane having been used in CO between Wolf Creek Ski Area and Pagosa Springs. That road will test your tug.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have seen more than one runaway ramp that was used and always wondered why there wasn't a portable toilet at the end of it. If you need the ramp, you're going to need the other. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Interesting - I don't have any truckers in the family, but in three decades of driving through mountains on vacations I've never seen a runaway lane that appeared to have been used, and only heard of it on the news a couple of times (yes, I know what they're for). I'm not so worried about the trucks and would rather drive among them than with most of the amateurs... but more importantly, this is unrelated to speed climbing hills, right? The big rigs are slow up them, and as long as everyone drives responsibly we all get where we're going without that causing a problem. If some Escape owner's reasonable tow vehicle can't pull the Escape up a mountain pass a Mach 2, no one is in danger because of it, and a 400+ horsepower pickup truck is not required.

In many mountain areas the uphill sections have an extra lane to allow faster traffic to pass those vehicles which are slow because they are heavy - whether they are commercial trucks or RVs. I think that the bigger risk of holding up traffic and causing the impatient to take excessive passing risks is on descents and in curves, where speed has nothing to do with power, and highway designers have not allowed for unreasonable obstruction to traffic flow.
Having driven these tractor-trailer units before, I can definitely say, that for the most part they have the best, safest braking out there. Not only did we check our brakes daily, you are required to on many long downhill slopes. Of the thousands of times I have driven by runaway ramps, I did once see fresh tracks in one, about 25 years ago.

Most definitely the biggest danger on the road is not the slow moving vehicles directly, but those impatient ones that feel the need to pass. I have fit into both categories myself, thus love it when they have at least a passing lane on these long climbs.

On the subject of braking with regards to travel trailers, almost everyone I have spoken to adjusts their brakes to offer less braking than what is set up following the brake controller instructions. This is mostly because they feel uncomfortable with the pulling feeling of the trailer, which when brakes are applied in some circumstances does feel a bit jerky. This lower setting does put more reliance on the tow vehicle brakes, and in this case larger, stronger brakes would be better to have. However, if properly adjusted, trailer brakes will apply pretty much all the stopping power needed to stop the trailer, leaving the tow vehicle brakes unaffected by breaking the combined units.

My F-350 diesel is one heck of a great vehicle for towing, but I am going to be getting rid of it soon. It is just too much truck for most of my usage, other than towing a full dump trailer at 14,000 lbs, where it still has an excess of power.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #57

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Now, as never before, however, there are towing tests to compare ability among manufacturers and they are using those for towing capacity. When they say that your vehicle can tow 5000 lbs., your vehicle can tow 5000 lbs., including up steep grades.
Your vehicle can probally tow more than that and safely too. IMHO they underrate capacity, because they know people will push the limits.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #58

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Speaking of Wolf Creek Pass, did it in late Sept, about 1/2 way down you could see where a dualie had been trying to keep it on the road in the turns. Could also see how the driver tried to make the runaway ramp, unsuccessfully. Highway patrol was just putting up the barricades across the lookout for the recovery to start as we went by.

That was our first experience with mountain passes in the west. Took the rest of the day for my hands to regain circulation. So glad I had had new rotors and pads installed just before our trip.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #59

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I am currently looking for a tow vehicle to tow my new 2016 5.0 ta that i'm picking up
the 3rd week in March. I have to ask if the 2016 v-6
Tacoma is big enough to pull the
5.0 or just too small.
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've often driven up The Cut in North Vancouver and had to pull out to pass a BMW or similar car, apparently driven by somebody that is too short to press on the accelerator.
My RAV goes up that hill at 90 KPH with the trailer following. No problem.