Go big on your tow vehicle...seriously folks - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Go big on your tow vehicle...seriously folks

Hi Everyone,
Since I just returned to Los Angeles from picking up our new 21 in Chilliwack, I thought I would share my opinions on tow vehicles for those who may be in the market. First off my tow vehicle is a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 long bed crew cab with the 6.6 ltr Duramax diesel and 192,000 mile on the odometer. I also have a 2005 Nissan Frontier LX 4x4 with a 4 liter V-6 and the thought of towing our 21 with the Nissan is disturbing.

I know plenty of people are comfortable doing so but you are riding a fine line between safety and practicality towing with a smaller T.V. My Nissan is rated to tow 6,000+ lbs so the 21 is well within the tow limits but I don't for a second think that it can safely match my GMC in stability under heavy braking, high winds or evasive maneuvers. Not to mention uphill performance and downhill braking. Fuel economy with the diesel (15 mpg over 1,300 miles from Chilliwack) is easily double the Nissan towing the same rig.

In my humble opinion the safe bet is a larger T.V. with excess capacity vs. a small T.V. with marginal capacity. Let's start the discussion, what do you folks think?

M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Depends if you have to park it at Safeway.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA Classic (Old School)
Big M, you and I are on the same page. We have towed our 5.0 TA twice on the Cassiar Highway with numerous trips here in Alaska and the Yukon. Our pin weight is usually only 750 - 800ish pounds but I know that the trailer is behind us, especially on steep twisting grades. I too, like having more truck than trailer. I know that the 5.0 TA is made for half ton trucks, but if my beloved RAM 3500 ever gets rear ended, a silver GMC 2500 Duramax is on my shortlist. (I try to ride my bike to the grocery) Scott

Scott and Lori
Fat bikes are fun!
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
This idea has been covered numerous times between here and the Fiberglassrv forum.

We towed back through the Canadian Rockies. We went very slowly up hills and mountains --- on purpose. My idea of going any faster uphill is that it just wastes gas. Anybody wants to pass, go right ahead. There are other lanes for that. In four years of many thousands of miles with two Escapes, no problem using a V6. Doesn't mean we won't ever get something more powerful but we certainly do not have to have it.

Many point out that the big benefit of a small trailer is that it can be towed with less gas and a daily driver. If someone meets the weight requirements, the next most important factor, IMHO, is not your tow vehicle but how and where you drive.

We all do not do the same kind of traveling. We are rarely going to be on Interstates running across the country. And probably won't be in mountains a lot but we can manage just fine if we are.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
I don't think it's about big or small, but finding the happy medium between capability, towing capacity, and mileage. If someone has found the holy grail when it comes to tow vehicles, I'd like to see it. But, that said, we are very happy with our tow vehicle.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Everyone thinks his TV is best and he or she is probably right --- for that owner's situation.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:09 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
This was a big decision for us and we went back and forth.....what pushed us over the edge was the awesome information provided by experience trailer towers on this forum...we haven't towed yet...and i feel confident...to me that is worth the $$ we spent on our TV.....
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:19 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Had the big 1 ton truck with stretched cab. Absolute pain in the rear to park in any shopping area and was actually not allowed in many parking lots in Portland Oregon due to size. Taco is rated 6500 lbs and tows my 21 just fine, easy to park anywhere. In my engineer opinion, the best solution for an issue is one that works adequately and within budget.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Here's a visual: Cowboys on Shetland ponies, that's adequate right? And no, not everybody is right on this issue. It's about safety and ultimately what is your budget for that? I've seen countless vehicles with trailers crawling up steep grades posing a significant hazard to others who had to maneuver around them. We do have a responsibility to others who share the road, indifference to them is dangerous. Hey "just go around" is plain bad manners.
M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Go big on your tow vehicle...seriously folks

We talked of upgrading our 2005 Tundra to a new larger Tundra recently when our radiator blew in Yellowstone, but decided to stick work the current one. It fits in our garage, still only has a little over 100,000 km, parks easier and tows the Escape 21 very easily, far easier and more stable than our 1996 Ford F-150 did (better brakes too). The Tacomas are just a tad smaller than our Tundra. If we didn't carry so much boat, canopy and gear as well a Tacoma would be a fine TV. If I lived in the country a bigger truck would suit me fine.

Bob K

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote