Gooseneck hitch with a 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Lance 1995, Ordered a 5.0 for Oct 30 delivery
Gooseneck hitch with a 5.0

Terry and I were walking around town tonight and a farmer went by with his cattle trailer that used a gooseneck hitch. Has anyone ever used one with a 5.0 ?

I imagine this will be a quickly answered thread.

Thanks,

Perry

Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I do. That is what my Anderson Ultimate connects to.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Terry and I were walking around town tonight and a farmer went by with his cattle trailer that used a gooseneck hitch. Has anyone ever used one with a 5.0 ?

I imagine this will be a quickly answered thread.

Thanks,

Perry
You could I suppose, but I can't imagine why you'd want to modify.

Having said that, the Andersen Ultimate Hitch is something like a gooseneck because the trailer is fitted with a coupler and the hitch is fitted with a ball. Lots of forum members use that hitch.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Lance 1995, Ordered a 5.0 for Oct 30 delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I do. That is what my Anderson Ultimate connects to.
On a gooseneck hitch a pipe comes down and attaches to the ball that your Andersen hitch attaches. This would result in much more useable space in the bed. I know we could have put a gooseneck hitch on our Eagle 5th wheel fifteen years ago.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
On a gooseneck hitch a pipe comes down and attaches to the ball that your Andersen hitch attaches. This would result in much more useable space in the bed. I know we could have put a gooseneck hitch on our Eagle 5th wheel fifteen years ago.
I can't see how that would result in more cargo space using an Andersen Hitch. The hitch base takes up the same amount of room regardless of the coupler that attaches to it. A true gooseneck would have the connection point at or near the floor of the truck bed, but the Andersen is basically an alternative method of attachment without drastically changing the connection height. This is partly why I said it's kind of like a gooseneck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andersen-ultimate-hitch-installed-901x601.jpg (107.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

This style of hitching gear extends the structure of the trailer, causing stresses beyond those which result from using a hitch which pivots at the normal location (whether a fifth-wheel like stock, or a ball-and-socket such as the Andersen Ultimate). As I recall, Escape Trailer Industries endorses the use the Andersen, but not use of extended devices like this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I can't see how that would result in more cargo space using an Andersen Hitch. The hitch base takes up the same amount of room regardless of the coupler that attaches to it. A true gooseneck would have the connection point at or near the floor of the truck bed...
The extended tube to a coupler which was shown does couple directly to the ball at the bed, and so it would eliminate the base frame of the Andersen Ultimate, or of a conventional fifth-wheel.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The extended tube to a coupler which was shown does couple directly to the ball at the bed, and so it would eliminate the base frame of the Andersen Ultimate, or of a conventional fifth-wheel.
Well yes. I was speaking directly to the idea that it would increase useable cargo space with an Andersen Hitch including the frame.

EDIT: Having said that, I wouldn't trust a standard gooseneck with the pipe as much as a 5th wheel hitch and kingpin, partly for the reason you mentioned.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Enjoy,

Perry
I personally would never use one of those. The stresses created by the leverage put on that tall skinny column are cause for concern, and have been known to fail. Granted, our trailers are a lot lighter than most other fifth wheels, but still.....

There are goose box adapters, that replace the pin box, and extend down to the gooseneck ball that are way more solid, but are also quite pricey.

Reese - Goose Box
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Well yes. I was speaking directly to the idea that it would increase useable cargo space with an Andersen Hitch including the frame.
Okay, but that wasn't the proposed idea. Were you thinking that someone wanted to replace the fifth-wheel pin box with tube, having a coupler at the same height as the pin, used with an Andersen Ultimate frame and ball? I agree, that would be pointless.

Maybe the confusion was here:
Quote:
On a gooseneck hitch a pipe comes down and attaches to the ball that your Andersen hitch attaches.
Perry is referring to the ball in the truck bed which a "gooseneck mount" Andersen Ultimate uses as an anchor, not the Andersen's own ball.

Quote:
EDIT: Having said that, I wouldn't trust a standard gooseneck with the pipe as much as a 5th wheel hitch and kingpin, partly for the reason you mentioned.
My only safety or security concern would be with the trailer structure. These common ball hitch systems are routinely rated for 20,000 pound trailers (usually in agricultural and construction applications). Nothing sophisticated, but they're strong.