Hello All, New to This Forum - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Hello All, New to This Forum

Hello Everyone,

I recently found and joined your forum, after realizing that a Truck Camper wasn't in my immediate future.

From my research thus far, I really like the Escape Campers. I was only familiar with the Casita, Scamp, Bigfoot and Nthn Lite. (All in the form of pictures & the Web, as I have yet to view any of these in "Real Life").

I look forward lots of good reading and pearls of wisdom found in your posts.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
TurtleBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #2

Re: Hello All, New to This Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBax
Hello Everyone,

I recently found and joined your forum, after realizing that a Truck Camper wasn't in my immediate future.

From my research thus far, I really like the Escape Campers. I was only familiar with the Casita, Scamp, Bigfoot and Nthn Lite. (All in the form of pictures & the Web, as I have yet to view any of these in "Real Life").

I look forward lots of good reading and pearls of wisdom found in your posts.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
Hello TBax:

Trailering an RV is a bit different of a sport than truck camping. The big advantage of truck campers is you can still tow a boat or other toy. The disadvantage to truck camping is the fuel economy of the 3/4 ton pickups.

As you read through this forum (or the U.S. based fiberglassRV.com) you will discover the relative advantages and disadvantages of the various brands of fiberglass egg trailers.

I think the consensus on this forum is quality and service from the manufacturer is paramount.

The other thing to consider when comparing Casita, Scamp, Trillium, Outback, and Escape is the items that one manufacturer includes as part of the regular build and what other manufacturers include as options. I think that you will find that Escapes come with most of the accessories that other brands offer as expensive options (awning, furnace, 3-way fridge, etc).

Good luck with your research,

Gord
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

Hi ShannonGord,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Too True about Truck Camping.

One of the reasons I am interested in the Escape TT's, is that they seem to be built very well. (at least what I can see in the Pics and based on the text).
Good advice also on the comparison on what different manufactures include and don't.

I also like that they can be towed by an everyday car. I currently live closer to a large city than I would like and driving a very large truck everyday would not be a plus.

I have never towed anything, so this journey should be interesting.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
Old 05-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

TurtleBax, welcome to the forum!! If you have time, check out the Meet the members board.. There are video's of interviews of Escape owners and Tammy & Reace (Escape Ind) that may help you get a sense of what it's like to own an Escape..

Anyway, have fun and enjoy!

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #5

Hello JeffZ,

Thanks for the Tip and the Welcome. I'm going check it out now.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Welcome Turtle Bax
The more the merrier. One of the advantages of a trailer or 5th wheel is that you can leave "home" and not have to pack everything up to go exploring or sight seeing. One huge advantage of an Escape beside quality is the ability to have some modifications that a production manufacturer can't or won't offer! I know there are a few in Northern California for you to see, and there may be one near you. One video is Jeff's comparison: http://zimodecast.com/?PHPSESSID=7ae...609d&s=compare Unfortunately I cannot retrieve the video, but Jeff might come to the rescue.
Enjoy!
Sandra
Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #7

Turtle Bax
Escape Trailers is the only MFG that will customize your trailer I mean they will consider all your wants and put them in your trailer. Yes they build quality and give you a two year warranty. Upon delivery they go over everything with you about your trailer, most Trailer places give you the keys and the warranty stops when they can't see your tail lights. The FG meet in Bandon,Oregon on the coast in July is where you can see many Escape trailers it is called the NOG Northern Oregon Gathering. Look at Fiberglass RV Forum on the net.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
Welcome Turtle Bax
The more the merrier. One of the advantages of a trailer or 5th wheel is that you can leave "home" and not have to pack everything up to go exploring or sight seeing. One huge advantage of an Escape beside quality is the ability to have some modifications that a production manufacturer can't or won't offer! I know there are a few in Northern California for you to see, and there may be one near you. One video is Jeff's comparison: http://zimodecast.com/?PHPSESSID=7ae...609d&s=compare Unfortunately I cannot retrieve the video, but Jeff might come to the rescue.
Enjoy!
Sandra

I forgot about those video's Here's the link http://zimodecast.com/?p=83

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #9

Thanks Jeff. I think people will find this very useful. The Oliver is not currently being made due to the economy. i'm not sure when they will resume. While I did see some, they were not for me and they turned out to be more weight than I was comfortable towing.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

Hi SandraL, Hippo & Jeff.

Thanks for Welcome and all of the helpful information! I'll be interested in the video. Thanks for the link.

I think the fact that you can customize the Escapes seems to be but one of the reasons everyone seems to love these trailers.
As I am NEW to this, I really don't know what I need, But I like all the options and mods everyone has gotten.
The 2 yr warranty is nice also. I've been looking at some other trailers and their warranty is only 1 Yr.

I didn't know about the 'NOG' gathering. I'll be in Central OR in June, so will just miss it. Bummer. Maybe next year.

Speaking of the above. I would love to see an Escape when I'm in Oregon in June. (Wow. What am I talking about, it IS, June!)

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Just to clarify, the NOGs (Northern Oregon Gatherings) are NOT in Bandon... that's the Oregon Gathering held in July. The next NOG will be in October and held at Champoeg State Park, just south of Portland: http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...ng-fall-event/, this is a link for the Oregon Gathering: http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...gon-gathering/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #12

Thanks Donna D,

I didn't realize there were 2 gatherings!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Thanks Donna D,

I didn't realize there were 2 gatherings!
Where do you live TurtleBax, maybe there's someone close...you might be able to visit?
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #14

Hello HokieEscape, et. all,

I live near the Manassass Battlefied Park in VA.
Almost smack dab between Washington, DC and Shenandoah National Park.

I would love to see an Escape in "Real Life" before I order one.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
VA Tech Hokie & "Fear the Turtle"

Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Hello HokieEscape, et. all,

I live near the Manassass Battlefied Park in VA.
Almost smack dab between Washington, DC and Shenandoah National Park.
I would love to see an Escape in "Real Life" before I order one.
Best Regards,
TurtleBax
VA Tech Hokie & "Fear the Turtle"
A Hokie and Terrapin in the same house eh?
Which Escape are you looking at? I have a 5.0 in Blacksburg (5 hrs)...there's a 19' in Buchanan (just northeast of Roanoke - 4 hrs) and Dick will be in Whoo-ville when he gets back sometime late summer. Don't know of any other Escaper's in Va, but maybe Tammy could point out someone closer to you in Md or Pa?
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #16

Hi HokieEscape,

Yep. In the same household

I'm looking at the 17B Escape. (Anyone have one near me?) We've never had a trailer and hope to be able to boondock a bit. Since I don't know how small will be too small for us, I thought the 17B would be a good size.
I could be persuaded in either direction once we see them.

Thanks for the rundown on the Escapes in VA. Perhaps I'll be able to make it down sometime this summer.

Best Regards,
TurtleBax
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
PJ

Trailer: Escape 17' 2005 "Turtle"

Hi TurtleBax,

It would be wise to see a few trailers if you have no experience & have never seen one, just so you can see what's out there and figure out your criteria. We have a 17', it was a 'step up' for us from 12 yrs. camping in a 13' Burro (a no longer made fiberglass trailer). The main difference was the added bathroom. A 19' would give you more living space. We're happy with our 17', we're both tall folks, but since we are outside most the time (barring inclement weather, which we have occasionally in the Pacific NW!) we find it quite comfortable. The awning on the trailers gives you more 'living' space that is protected from a drizzle or too much sun.

We 'boondock' mostly and find the Escape an excellent trailer for doing so. Very efficient, even running the heater every night a few weeks ago due to cold weather, we did not run out of propane in 10 days, used only 1 5 gallon bottle (we mostly cook outside and did run out of our small 1 gallon), we switched to our extra battery after about 5 days.

On this forum you will find very happy Escape owners and wannabes - besides all the reasons give, like custom ordering (we were fortunate to find a previously owned one we liked), it is a wonderful company to do business with, for the reasons mentioned and more. Even though we bought from a previous owner, Tammy & Reace treated us like customers, helping us in so many ways. Customer service alone is one reason to get an Escape, the great trailer reason #2!

Good luck! Hopefully you can find an Escape on your travels this summer, there are certainly some in Oregon.

Penney

"He who would travel happily must travel light.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA

[/quote]
A Hokie and Terrapin in the same house eh?
Which Escape are you looking at? I have a 5.0 in Blacksburg (5 hrs)...there's a 19' in Buchanan (just northeast of Roanoke - 4 hrs) and Dick will be in Whoo-ville when he gets back sometime late summer. Don't know of any other Escaper's in Va, but maybe Tammy could point out someone closer to you in Md or Pa?
[/quote]

I prefer "Hokie Town (extended)"

Dick
Old 06-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #19

Hello,

Penny, Great advice all around.
I do need to see an Escape to get a clear idea of exactly what we want.

We haven't done a lot of fun tent camping, since we stopped "camping for Uncle Sam"... Would like to move up to a comfy, dry and non-sandy bed.
Cool stats on your dry camping there in the Pacific NW. I was very curious how long the propane and batteries would last and what they powered and for how long. Thanks for adding that helpful information in. We hope to 'boondock' also.

It's great to hear that Reace & Tammy have such a happy Fan Base.

If I'm lucky I'll see one of these great trailers this summer.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #20

Hi there,
You might call Tammy and find out who might have an Escape you might see on your way when you take your trip to Oregon this month. That is if it is still in the works.