HELP Turning Radius - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Exactly, and when you get to a longer 21 you CAN back it up tight enough to jack knife the storage box latch padlock into the truck tail light lens.

Toyota wanted $200 for a new assembly. Got it through Amazon for $85.
I'm the owner of a $85 tail light lens from Amazon for my Tundra as well. I think we both learned the same lesson.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Just a reminder that any combination of tug and trailer can be backed into interference; the only question is which parts hit first. I did touch the van's bumper to one of the propane tanks once...

U-Haul - the designer and supplier of trailers intended for drivers who are not competent - uses a straight tongue on many models to allow 90° of turning angle. Despite this, people jackknife them to the point of damage so often that U-Haul sometimes also puts rubber blocks on each side of the tongue... to cushion the inevitable collisions with bumpers. Maybe that's one reason that they used to discourage renters from backing up (to go with not unhitching and re-hitching, and not going over 45 mph...).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #23
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Dang. And I paid the $200 for mine! Anyway, I can vouch that this is indeed more than theoretically possible. And I feel so much better knowing that I am in good company!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Thanks to all for the info. So far no damage and thanks to you guys, I hope to keep it that way. Gimee 5 acres...then I'll turn my rig around! Cheers, Peter
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Thanks to all for the info. So far no damage and thanks to you guys, I hope to keep it that way. Gimee 5 acres...then I'll turn my rig around! Cheers, Peter
Five acres is great! The Willis Brothers needed 40!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I am towing my 19ft. Escape with a Toyota Tundra which is 19 feet long. How wide does the road have to be for me to make a 180 degree u-turn without backing up at all. Anyone??

My wife says, "Thank you."

Peter
I tow a 2013 19' Escape with a 2016 Tacoma that has a 40.6' turning circle. I can complete a u-turn with the trailer hooked up as tight as the truck wants to go. I also have the twin propane tanks, cargo box and an Anderson WD hitch. No binding or touching of anything that is not supposed to touch. (As others have mentioned, that is going forward. I do not risk tight turns in reverse.)

So given that the Tacoma has a smaller turning radius than the Tundra, I doubt that you would have any binding either. The suggestion to perform a slow tight turn in a large parking lot with someone watching is a good one. Good luck!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #27

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Exactly, and when you get to a longer 21 you CAN back it up tight enough to jack knife the storage box latch padlock into the truck tail light lens.

Toyota wanted $200 for a new assembly. Got it through Amazon for $85.
Very important to remember that your rig, regardless of vehicle or trailer, will turn A LOT sharper backing up than going forward. Best advice given here is find an empty lot and practice.

My best advice is to do everything SLOWLY so you can correct little mistakes before they get to be big mistakes.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Peter, I would suggest that you never turn unless you are very sure that you can make the turn. Then after a while, you will know what it takes. I already knew not to try to back up on a turn that I might not make, from the problems we had getting into a storage space. You see the problems people above had.

Out in the country, a turn-around can be done on a two-lane road if there is a cross street (and no traffic) and you can go partially into the cross street areas on both sides. But you probably need bigger areas at first to get used to turning around.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote