High Lift Axle - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape
High Lift Axle

Curious what approx % of Escape 21' owners opted for High Lift Axle option ($300).

Am towing with Ford F150XLT 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost with tow package (11K). Using E2 Trunnion by Fastway equalizer/anti-sway.

Truck's hitch height unloaded is 17".

I'm thinking it's an unnecessary added expense for the very few times the added height might be necessary (if at all).

Thoughts? Thanks for your input.
DisplacedYoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedYoopers View Post
Curious what approx % of Escape 21' owners opted for High Lift Axle option ($300).

Am towing with Ford F150XLT 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost with tow package (11K). Using E2 Trunnion by Fastway equalizer/anti-sway.

Truck's hitch height unloaded is 17".

I'm thinking it's an unnecessary added expense for the very few times the added height might be necessary (if at all).

Thoughts? Thanks for your input.
I can only speak to my experiences...

My gut feeling tells me that the *stock* escape 21' has better ground clearance than our 17' Casita did with the Casita having the high-lift option...

We tow with a mid sized SUV (Acura MDX with factory tow) and i didnt want to increase the height of the 21' escape - as that would be slightly more wind resistance, and slightly less stable.

If you have a huge heavy tug it may not be a consideration, but for us it was....

YMMV.

and...

We have done 3 trips now with our Escape, (no high lift) and absolutely no issues with ground clearance, anywhere.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't think it would matter what you were towing with, as the ball height can always be matched to the trailer hitch height. It is more a question if you think you need it for other reasons.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
My gut feeling tells me that the *stock* escape 21' has better ground clearance than our 17' Casita did with the Casita having the high-lift option...
john
not sure but when trying to decide on this Escape option...looking at pics of how the Casita tongue is attached to the frame versus the Escape tonque/frame...the tongue appears higher than the frame by a substantial amount on the Casita. And the vertical dimensions of the frame material are also apparently not the same. So if both mfgs say 19" is std height (or 21" with high lift) then just guessing the Casita frame/clearance is always lower than Escape with or without the Hilift option. ....added Escape Lift option as it is easier to remove probably than install it later, and it does not cost much considering the labor and material cost to install it later.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote