High Lift Axle ?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2016, 08:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
High Lift Axle ??

Does anyone have experience with the "High Lift Axle" option on a 5.0 ?? Trying to finalize my build sheet and I'd like to know the pros and cons so I can make an informed decision... I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 5.3L w/Z74 off road and towing package.

chowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowlee View Post
Does anyone have experience with the "High Lift Axle" option on a 5.0 ?? Trying to finalize my build sheet and I'd like to know the pros and cons so I can make an informed decision... I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 5.3L w/Z74 off road and towing package.
Which model are we talking about?

The 5.0 was the original Escape fifth-wheel, with a single Torflex axle. It has not been offered for a few years, so if you're finalizing a build sheet you're buying a new trailer and it isn't this model.
5.0TA - 2014 to 2016
The 5.0TA is the current Escape fifth-wheel, with tandem beam axles and leaf springs (unless Escape has changed the design recently). If you are buying for delivery very soon, this would be what you are getting. The axles are set up so that the leaf springs can be mounted over or under the axle beams, to change the height. There's no option needed for this; you just tell Escape how high your truck is and they set it up to match. The option list shows a "high lift axle" item, but that's for the 2017 version.
5.0TA - 2017
The 5.0TA is being redesigned, like all Escape models, with the first of the new style to be completed at the end of 2016. With the redesign, this model will change to tandem Torflex axles like the Escape 19' and 21'. If you are getting one of the first of these trailers, you can presumably choose to add optional spacers (listed as "High Lift Axle", but not really a different axle at all) which lift the trailer higher above the axles. Since this trailer doesn't exist yet, no owner has experience with it, and so I would ask Escape what height of truck (measured to the top of the box sides) works with the stock configuration, and get the spacers only if your truck is taller than that.
Edit: although the original post only said "5.0", I see from the member's profile that the trailer is a 2017 5.0TA... so that last section applies and the first two sections just explain why no current owner has relevant experience.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
High Lift Axle

Brian,
Thanks for the info... that explains it completely. I guess I wouldn't consider this an option as much as the set-up for the truck. Charlie
chowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA
Send a message via AIM to Monica Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowlee View Post
Others have said that the high lift axle you are asking about does not exist, until 2017. However, we picked up our 5.0 TA 11/8/2016, & it has the lift kit. We have the Dexter torsion axles & requested the lift kit, raises our trailer 2 1/2 inches. Had to get a new hitch in order to meet the king pin height of 50 1/2 inches. Wanted to have the extra height because we have run into roads & parking situations where the extra height has been beneficial. Our previous trailer had been raised.

We tow with a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD, 5.3L, & tow package. We do not have any off road features. Ooh, & air bags.
Monica Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 5.0TA
Send a message via AIM to Monica Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Which model are we talking about?

The 5.0 was the original Escape fifth-wheel, with a single Torflex axle. It has not been offered for a few years, so if you're finalizing a build sheet you're buying a new trailer and it isn't this model.
5.0TA - 2014 to 2016
The 5.0TA is the current Escape fifth-wheel, with tandem beam axles and leaf springs (unless Escape has changed the design recently). If you are buying for delivery very soon, this would be what you are getting. The axles are set up so that the leaf springs can be mounted over or under the axle beams, to change the height. There's no option needed for this; you just tell Escape how high your truck is and they set it up to match. The option list shows a "high lift axle" item, but that's for the 2017 version.
5.0TA - 2017
The 5.0TA is being redesigned, like all Escape models, with the first of the new style to be completed at the end of 2016. With the redesign, this model will change to tandem Torflex axles like the Escape 19' and 21'. If you are getting one of the first of these trailers, you can presumably choose to add optional spacers (listed as "High Lift Axle", but not really a different axle at all) which lift the trailer higher above the axles. Since this trailer doesn't exist yet, no owner has experience with it, and so I would ask Escape what height of truck (measured to the top of the box sides) works with the stock configuration, and get the spacers only if your truck is taller than that.
Edit: although the original post only said "5.0", I see from the member's profile that the trailer is a 2017 5.0TA... so that last section applies and the first two sections just explain why no current owner has relevant experience.
Beg to differ. We have a 2016, with Dexter Axles, & Lift Kit.
Monica Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Rose View Post
Beg to differ. We have a 2016, with Dexter Axles, & Lift Kit.
Ah, thanks This was the possibility I mentioned as "unless Escape has changed the design recently".
With the random sputtering of information this year, it has been impossible to tell what Escape specs were really applicable to what trailers. When this came up previously, I asked if anyone with a recent 5.0TA had the Torflex axles, and no one responded. Perhaps it wasn't noticed; perhaps some people just don't know what they have under their trailer. So, it looks like Escape switched to Torflex without waiting for the new body... but we don't know when.

Since the 5.0TA and 21' have the same body width, these axles should be the same as an original-style (not "2017") 21'.

So, for Charlie and his coming 2017 5.0TA, there's no change to the expected equipment (still Torflex, lift kit still available). Monica's trailer has the suspension the 2017 5.0TA will have, but pin height and required clearance are still unknown because the 2017 5.0TA will have a different body and frame from the 2016 version... although those dimensions might be the same.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Rose View Post
We have the Dexter torsion axles & requested the lift kit, raises our trailer 2 1/2 inches. Had to get a new hitch in order to meet the king pin height of 50 1/2 inches.
So a 2016 5.0TA with Torflex axles has king pin heights of 50.5" and just under 48"... but at which pin box setting? Monica, with the lift kit and 50.5" pin height (or actually be the height of the plate around the pin), is the pin box in its lower setting or its higher setting?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Working on my 50 TA build sheet the raised axle question came up. ETI says that if the height of the side of your bed is 56" + you need the lift. I believe this is to clear the truck not for ground clearance. On my F150 the height is 55 1/4". Thinking I'll go with lift as a little extra clearance can't hurt where just a fraction of interference is a costly problem.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
That's what I'd do. I think mine is too low causing the trailer to be angled upwards towards the front. Would rather have it front end down or better yet, level.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I agree. Is your truck same height as mine?

Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote