High Lift Axle Pros and Cons - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19 foot
High Lift Axle Pros and Cons

We are now mulling over which options to order for our 17B/Rav4 combo. One query. The high lift axle would provide more clearance under the trailer for rough roads or roots on campsites, etc. but probably decrease gas milage. Does anyone have observations regarding this tradeoff based on their experience? Are there other variables? Many thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: High Lift Axle Pros and Cons

I have the high lift axle. When I ordered the trailer I planned to get a Tacoma. Old Bag nixed that because she didn't think we could climb up into it in our old age. So we got the RAV, but still had the high lift on Toad.

I haven't studied it scientifically, but given the clearance on the RAV, I suspect that having extra clearance on the trailer really isn't necessary since RAV has to go over the terrain first.

It probably takes it's toll on mileage, but I think it's probably a plus for resale.

In other words. I haven't a clue.

baglo
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I opted for the lift axle with the though of why not, I could likely need it some day. I drive lots of gravel roads, and a few dirt roads/trails, and have come nowhere near needing the capacity.

If I was to do it again, I doubt I would get it. The standard straight axle provides quite good clearance.

If you had a full-sized pickup and towed often to remote wilderness locations using lots of off-road trails, it would definitely be worth it.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #4

I agree with the posters above. It's probably not necessary and it makes climbing in and out more difficult on sloping campsites.

Dave
Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #5

Ditto: we got it and in hindsight we didn't need it and what it did was just create a higher wind profile..of course we're not off roading it either.. more typical roads and occasional dirt roads.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Beaver... Having a full size pickup to shove under a 5.0 required a high lift axle. What wasn't thought out was it also affected the screen rooms ability to reach the ground from the high point in the roof. Something to do with "Mind over matter"!!! If you don't mind it doesn't matter.
Garand is quite right it also means the bottom step can be a doozie... too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #7

We have the lifted axle and wouldn't be without it. When Reace originally quoted the price for it when we where in the building process I thought that the $105 was a mistake and would have paid much more than that.

What are you towing with? If your tow now and in the forseeable future is a four wheel drive with any clearance, the lift brings the trailer up to the same height (aprox.) as the truck.

We camp a lot of forest service sites and primitive campgrounds where rocks, root clumps, limited turnarounds, etc are common. Unless your future Escape is a "pavement princess", I highly recommend going with the high lift.

There are so many other factors in achieving maximum fuel economy that the difference in mpg lifted or non-lifted is probably minimal.

Our screen room (which we love as well - we are in mosquito country) does easily reach the ground.
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote