Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Donna,

Great advice!!

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape
I tow a 15B with a 2004 Pilot. I plan to get a new vehicle next year and will give preference to another Pilot. Even going through the mtns in Colorado the engine temp never rose at all. My Honda did not have any prep for a brake controller. I assume newer models do, but something to check on. As far as weight goes, you can assume a trailer, even unloaded, weighs hundreds of pounds more than you might think from looking at spec sheets. Give yourself some room under the limit.

Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Donna is absolutely right ... pick your trailer first and then look for the tow vehicle. Of course, doing the opposite can have some positive aspects. We have a 2004 Tundra and, when we went looking for a trailer, found that our big ol' truck is a wimp when it comes to what it can tow. We spent nearly a year and a half researching light weight trailers when I happened, by chance, on this forum. After reading through the forum and visiting a nearby Escape (thanks Bob), we found our ideal trailer.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Yea, we kind of lucked out also, as we had purchased the FJ before even considering that we may like to have an Escape. As it turned out, the FJ is well suited for towing the Escape 19' and everything is cool between our TV and trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We changed our mind about which size Escape several times before settling on the 19. Once that decision was made we looked at the Highlander and the Pilot. I liked both of them but my wife liked the ride of the Highlander a little better. If we had gone with the 17 we probably would have purchased a used Rav4.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
So if I understand this correctly, some would suggest buying a trailer without regard to the required tug, and if it happens to require a pickup to pull it or a big SUV that's fine... even if that tug is entirely unsuitable in the family fleet. Can that be right?

The tug and trailer need to work together, and of course no one wants to ruin the enjoyment of their Escape by being unnecessarily limited by the tug; however, the tug will likely cost more than the trailer (if both are new), the tug will depreciate more every year, the tug will cost more to operate per year and for each kilometre... and in most cases it will be used far more times in the year than the trailer. It would be bad to be forced into the wrong tug. I think both are important choices, and it's great if one has the opportunity to choose them as a matched set.

Of course, if you can afford to dedicate a vehicle to just tug duty, and don't mind operating whatever the trailer needs (and those are actually true for many people), then definitely buy the trailer first!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
I don't think that's what is being implied. If you already have a tow vehicle that you like (in our case, our Tundra ... which is probably more comfortable than most cars), then you must look for the trailer that best fits your needs and vehicle. However, if you are looking for a trailer with the idea in the back of your mind that you'll probably be adding a new tow vehicle as well, then you should try and "marry" the tug and the trailer to come up with a suitable combination. A car/truck can always be used; however, buying a trailer that is too small, too big or just can't be towed by anything sitting in your driveway could be a costly mistake.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For me too, even though the cost new is lower, the trailer choice is still more important. I am very limited in choices for what I want, and how I want to camp. There are dozens of tow vehicles that could fit the bill, and I just need to find the one of those many that fit my bill.

I had my eye on the Pilot, as it had a major rebuild in 2009, and after deciding to move on the new 19 Escape was going to make, made the move to buy it.

No different than if the 5.0 is you preferred trailer, you most definitely have to buy the tow to match in more cases than with a trailer pull.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
If you already have a tow vehicle that you like ...
then you must look for the trailer that best fits your needs and vehicle. However, if you are looking for a trailer with the idea in the back of your mind that you'll probably be adding a new tow vehicle as well, then you should try and "marry" the tug and the trailer to come up with a suitable combination.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
A car/truck can always be used; however, buying a trailer that is too small, too big or just can't be towed by anything sitting in your driveway could be a costly mistake.
The message I'm hearing from some sounds like "get the trailer you want then whatever tug you need to pull it" to avoid that kind of mistake.

Perhaps a better plan would be "confirm the trailer's towing requirements before committing to a tug purchase, or expecting an existing tug to handle it". If you are buying a used trailer, that may indeed mean actually buying the trailer to be sure of what you can get; if you are buying a new trailer, that's just a model decision... Reace and crew will build it for you when you are ready.

Perhaps the intention is just to avoid slightly missing the match: planning on a 17, buying a small van or SUV which can handle it well, then buying a 19 and being not quite well enough equipped for towing. That just means planning realistically: if the 19 is a likely option and you buy the tug first, buy a tug which can handle a 19.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #30

Trailer: not yet
I found the FGRV site while looking for something light enough to tow behind our Forrester, so had the tug first.... Then realized that we would likely need a bigger tug...as the Forester shouldn't pull much more than a 13 (or maybe a 15). ..

Later, on this site I learned of a really good sale that Nissan was having on leftover Frontiers from two years ago.

Having an idea of what size trailer you want to pull is a good idea before getting the tug. Getting a tug without really knowing what you want to pull may lead to under sizing the tug. And then trying to justify pulling more than rated...

LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote