Highlander vs a Pilot - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Yes, and having an idea of what size of tug you're willing to drive is a good idea before getting the trailer. Getting a trailer without really knowing what you will need to pull it may lead to over-sizing the trailer. And then buying a tug you don't want or trying to justify pulling more than rated...

It works both ways.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #32

Trailer: None yet
Most of the mid-size crossovers can handle 5000lb and enough payload to handle Escape trailers, although some models require you to get a proper tow package to get there.

There are many options:
- Toyota Highlander
- Honda Pilot
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Hyundai Santa Fe LWB (NOT Sport)
- GM trio (Traverse, Enclave, Arcadia)
- Ford Explorer
etc

All of them features a V6 engine and roughly 5000lb towing capacity, plus at least 1300lb payload which is enough unless you plan to seriously load up your TV with more passengers and cargo.

yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I'll pass on the Hyundai, after my buddy's experience. Four months with a loaner because Hyundai couldn't come up with engine parts for his Santa Fe and 250 others.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'll pass on the Hyundai, after my buddy's experience. Four months with a loaner because Hyundai couldn't come up with engine parts for his Santa Fe and 250 others.
I am curious - why did they need engine parts to get the towing package working?

Not going to try to convince you to get a Hyundai but in case of Santa Fe LWB, it come standard with 5000lb towing package - no work is needed to get there.

What year Santa Fe did he buy?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #35

His Santa Fe is a 2009 I think. He got it just after I got my 2008 RAV4.
He wanted an engine noise investigated before the warranty ran out. They took it apart, discovered what was required to fix it, but Hyundai could not get parts from its supplier. They had no parts in North America and they had 250 or more customers with the same problem.
The dealer did what they could, but Hyundai was the hang up, lacking the desire to solve its problem.
He had a loaner Elantra for four months. The dealer finally sent it out to an engine re-builder who bored out the cylinders and installed a larger piston.
Got the vehicle back on Friday, engine warning light came on and he said, " it feels like I'm towing a 15,000lb. trailer with no wheels on it". Appears that they fixed that problem and he's almost made it to Palm Desert from Vancouver. It's unnerving, driving a vehicle that you don't trust. Especially when you are heading away from the dealer's shop.

So, it's not really about his specific vehicle, or the year it was built. It's about Hyundai's response. Which is why Hyundai won't be on my list, and won't be his next vehicle either.

- Bertolt Brecht
Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #36

Ouch, I don't blame you for not liking Hyundai after hearing that kind of experience...

I have the opposite experience though - one of my friend bought a new LWB Santa Fe recently and without any additional options, he seems to be very happy with his towing experience... That's why I had it on my shopping list along with Highlander. For the money, I like the Santa Fe more than the Highlander. The Pilot just feels really dated compare to these two (which it is - new model will be out soon).
Old 10-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #37

My buddy loved the Santa Fe, but Hyundai, not so much.

- Bertolt Brecht
Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Thank you forum members for tow vehicle advice. We put a deposit on a certified 2009 Highlander with a complete tow package today. We learned a lot, chief thing is what someone said recently -- it's NOT as much fun to buy a car as it is to buy the trailer. We think we got a pretty good car -- but the haggling with the dealer was NOT fun. We had to question absolutely everything including the fact that they had one price on line and another on the car. We made them put it on the lift so we could check for (nonexistent) rust. We had to check his math. Finally we had to be unattached so we could make a clear decision. The new Highlanders are not automatically coming with tow packages and in fact we found very few used ones with tow packages. If we hadn't bought this one we would have looked for a Pilot and it would have been fine. This car spoke to us. The price was right -- the condition seems excellent (brand new tires, body looks new, hitch doesn't seem to have been used very much). Our last two tow vehicles were bought used and they were great, so we're hoping this one will be the same. Glad that is (practically) over. We still need to do the paperwork but it's basically done.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Good choice! Hope you are happy with it. Should be a good TV.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Which model Ruthe? The spec's I found say 2000# towing?