Hitch Ball Height - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I do. Metal bits, wood bits, concrete bits and bits of bits.
I've even got an unopened set of bits from Can Tire. Sealed in cellophane.
No hole before its time.
The only bit I don't have is the one I need.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This question of stinger/ball location makes me wonder about where mine is. The stinger which Escape provided for my '96 Tahoe seems extended too far out. What you see is what I got --there is only one hole for a pin.

If I were to drill a second hole and close the gap, wouldn't that be best?
Yes, the closer the ball is to the rear axle - without anything hitting - the better. This is commonly done, although as Baglo correctly points out, ball mounts are available in various lengths so it may be possible to find a shorter one and avoid drilling a large hole in steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
I was also thinking about boring another hole through the bar to bring the ball closer to the back of the TV. Anybody know of a reason not to do so?
No. Some vehicles need more ball mount extension for clearance (such as to clear the bumper or an overhanging spare tire). If everything fits with the mount moved forward, I don't know of any reason not to do that.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm a current Scamp owner. I also have an A.R.E canopy on my truck (the entire backend hinges up {gullwing} to get to the front of the bed) to lift up without hitting the jack on my Scamp, the Stinger has(d) to be longer than the standard close-to-the-hitch everyone is talking about. The Stinger I have is about 8" longer than the standard... about the same length that cpaharley NOW has for his 21' I haven't noticed ANY PROBLEMS due to the extra length of the Stinger... and I've towed my 16' Scamp Deluxe with this for more than a decade. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The Stinger I have is about 8" longer than the standard... about the same length that cpaharley NOW has for his 21' I haven't noticed ANY PROBLEMS due to the extra length of the Stinger... and I've towed my 16' Scamp Deluxe with this for more than a decade. YMMV
Obviously, the 21' Escape is longer and heavier than the 16' Scamp, and so both tongue weight and control are larger issues. Also, Donna's truck is as long in wheelbase as any tug used by an Escape owner, and much longer than most; the proportion of rear-axle-to-ball length to wheelbase length is the critical dimension.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The only extra stinger I don't want is the one I don't need. I saw them pix of Jim's 21 hitched to an extended stinger and if you must have it because of your tow, etc., fine and good but frankly, seeing that long gap bothers me. Just do not like the look of it. I mean, it's like who do you want up on the line on your football team? Guys with long necks, or short ones?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
When I bought my first used Tacoma it had been used by an ardent fisherman. It had a very long (to me) stinger on it. When I asked why it was so long, he said it made it easier to swing his boat trailer into tight spaces and gave him more maneuverability when backing. His boat and trailer were fairly light with relatively light tongue weight to deal with.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I do. Metal bits, wood bits, concrete bits and bits of bits.
I've even got an unopened set of bits from Can Tire. Sealed in cellophane.
No hole before its time.
The only bit I don't have is the one I need.
Most of mine are missing the 1/8" bit - seems to be the size I break the most often . Then when it go to buy one, Menards will have whole sets on sale for barely any more then one 1/8" so......

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I thought all the fish were in Minnesota.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I thought all the fish were in Minnesota.
That's what the Minnesotans will tell you ....

Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The reason for my new stinger was an increase in capacity. The old unit had a 500/5000 lb and a 6000 ball capacity, and was 1" too short. When I did use a weight distribution set up, it extended a lot further than this one. The new unit has 1000/10,000 capacity with a new 8,000 ball. and is 1" longer than the old set up. I believe I'm at the same length that the Andersen w/d hitch is set up for but will verify that when I install it. Perhaps someone who has the Andersen can give the length from hole in receiver to ball middle. The Andersen is rated even higher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BM20_tn.jpg (2.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 63845_3_tn.jpg (7.5 KB, 128 views)