Hitch Cargo Carrier - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Hitch Cargo Carrier

I believe all Escapes come with a 2" hitch coupler in the rear to attach a bike carrier. It is rated for 150#.
Has anyone used one of these hitch carriers for additional storage? Are these not recommended? What are the issues? I would assume you must still keep the weight under the 150#.
As I haven't yet got my 19' I don't know if I will have storage issues or not. I'm just looking for viable options if I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Cargo.jpg  
Old 03-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I put one on my 15. I had an extra hole drilled in the hitch carrier so it would sit closer to the back of the trailer. I use it to carry my x-pens for the dogs and will probably put my chairs on it as well. Nothing too heavy as I want to keep it at about 100 lbs (and then the carrier itself which weighs about 20 lbs.)

That's basically the one I have (though I have the 60" one) and it was pretty easy to assemble (took time but not hard) and the only issue was adding the hole. Here's a picture of where it sits with the extra hole and then one before the extra hole.

The weight in back takes weight off the tongue so in some cases you might have to worry about adding back tongue weight for stability. For me, bringing the carrier in closer took care of that.
Attached Thumbnails
15167476_10100953015356691_5762108656187458434_o (1).jpg   Escape in front of cabin.jpg  
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a cargo carrier on the rear of my 17B. Given a choice, I wouldn't.
The rack and the box ( aluminum ) likely weigh more than the contents. I use it for extension cord, water hoses, hatchet, axe, distilled water, etc. I try to keep it as light as possible.
I still have to compensate by moving items forward in the trailer so that I don't unweight the hitch.
Adding the box will cost you for ferries that charge by length, has potential to get hung up on ramps and you can't see it when reversing.
I'd defiantly try without before spending the money.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage box.jpg  
Old 03-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a StowAway II carrier on the back of my 17B. I did redistribute some of the stuff in the trailer to keep the tongue weight within acceptable limits.
Attached Thumbnails
_ADS6113.jpg  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
We followed Jon's lead and went with the Stowaway on the rear because getting a front storage box from ETI was not feasible. We went with the type that does not swing (lighter) and customized a mount to put the box as close to the trailer as possible and high enough to increase trailer departure angle and also have the box open up over the tire. Had to slide the tire mount over slightly to make it work. Best part is that it is weatherproof storage like the much sought after front boxes from ETI. Box rated for 200 lbs but it is unlikely you would load it that heavily. You will have less issues of adversely affecting tongue weight on a 19 versus the shorter single axle trailers.

Oh and regarding the weight rating of the hitch itself I would check with ETI. Ours was "reinforce bike rack ready to carry extra weight" on the build sheet from late 2009 so supposedly has a higher weight rating. Not sure if they still do this or not.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/adding-after-market-front-storage-box-4007-7.html#post147788
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Had to run the trailer down for fridge service so here's another picture.
Note that I was not using the WDH bars so back of RAV4 sags. Front is unweighted.
I had the box fastened to the rack with u-bolts that could only be accessed from inside, until I discovered that I couldn't remove the spare without removing the box. Now I keep it in place with a ratchet strap and secured with a cable lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Box : no WDH.jpg  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have been looking at these hitch boxes too. Not buying one until I am certain I need it, and I may not. Along with the Stowaway2, there is also the Rola, available at etrailer that looks pretty good too.

Rola Fits 2 Inch Hitch Hitch Cargo Carrier | etrailer.com

One other consideration I am having, is to build one to fit my needs. I am thinking something out of aluminum, with doors instead of a lid, so I could mount bikes on top. I have a friend who built one for the back of his motorhome that houses two electric assist bikes inside, along with a ton of other gear. MUCH too big for my liking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I've never liked something behind the trailer that I can't see. I have enough trouble telling for sure when the back of the trailer is clear of other traffic when changing lanes in heavy traffic.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I've never liked something behind the trailer that I can't see. I have enough trouble telling for sure when the back of the trailer is clear of other traffic when changing lanes in heavy traffic.
On the up side it helps protect the back of the trailer if you are rear ended in that heavy traffic!
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Big white box

I had a Dodge Dakota with a topper before the Highlander. Could haul everything my son needed for a year at college and not have boxes above the truck box. When my daughter went off to Boston University, I took out the back seat, filled the topper to the top and bought a hitch hauler and built plywood box nearly 6 feet long 2 feet wide and high. It blocked the tail lights so I wired the hitch hauler. Still had to buy some $tuff in Bo$ton. Box now resides in the garage holding 4 or 5 tents we don't use any more. Imelda Marcos did not have much on my youngest daughter's footwear collection. Make sure you really need it before taking the plunge. Dad knows
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote