Hitch for F150 towing 19ft - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Hitch for F150 towing 19ft

We have a 2015 Ford F150 crew cab and will be towing a new 19ft. Escape has three different hitches available: equalizer, equalizer with sway control, and integrated sway control with weight distribution. Given past towing experience, some of which was not good, we know that how a trailer tows is very dependent on the entire rig: vehicle, trailer and hitch. So our question is does anyone have experience towing a 19 ft with a F150 crew cab, and if so what type of hitch do you use? We are looking for help making our decision.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We tow our 19 with a 2015 F150, SuperCrew, 2WD.

We didn't intend to use a WDH at all, but on the day of pickup, Reace was of the opinion that we would benefit from one. So, we put him to work installing an Andersen Hitch. We're happy with it. Since they don't offer it anymore at Escape, I'd just go with their stock WDH offering, if you feel you need one.

By the way, "equalizer" isn't a type. It's a brand name for one line of Weight Distribution hitches, and ironically, they don't sell it at Escape. It's kind of a case of calling every cola a "Coke".

Since your F150 has antisway built in, there's no real need for such a feature, although almost all weight distribution hitches have some form of sway control.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We've towed some 30K + miles in two years. We used the Andersen for 2/3 of that and now the basic "equalizer"(which is actually a Pro Series with trunnion bars). Have also towed a fair amount of miles without using either one. On long trips especially using the Pro Series gives me less slop and bouncing around from the trailer. Have never felt the need for any sway control.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
We have a 2015 Ford F150 crew cab and will be towing a new 19ft. Escape has three different hitches available: equalizer, equalizer with sway control, and integrated sway control with weight distribution. Given past towing experience, some of which was not good, we know that how a trailer tows is very dependent on the entire rig: vehicle, trailer and hitch. So our question is does anyone have experience towing a 19 ft with a F150 crew cab, and if so what type of hitch do you use? We are looking for help making our decision.
MVA, I tow our 19 with a 2014 Durango Rallye and no hitch-based towing aides (just sensible weight ditsrib. etc.) with no problems under any conditions.

We (wife and two kiddies) have just returned from a Folsom-CA Fort Collins-CO round trip via I-80 in 6 days (left Salt Lake City on Wed morning, arrived Folsom at ~ 1:30am Thursday) with cruise set to the limit across Wyoming and Utah, wonderful drive. Our Durango does have Tow Package incl. anti-sway, but I have otherwise chosen simplicity at hook-up and for reversing, over the added cost/complexity, but I know many folk swear by WDH and/or anti-sway hitches.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp171 View Post
MVA, I tow our 19 with a 2014 Durango Rallye and no hitch based towing aides (except sensible weight ditsrib. etc.) with no problems under any conditions.

We (wife and two kiddies) have just returned from a Folsom-CA Fort Collins-CO round trip via I-80 in 6 days (left Salt Lake City on Wed morning, arrived Folsom at ~ 1:30am Thursday) with cruise set to the limit across Wyoming and Utah, wonderful drive. Our Durango does have Tow Package incl. anti-sway, but I have otherwise chosen simplicity at hook-up and for reversing, over the added cost/complexity, but I know many folk swear by WDH and/or anti-sway hitches.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
right.... but just to play the devils advocate...

just because you didn't have any problems, doesnt mean that with some tugs, with certain trailers, a WDH + sway control may make it safer.

For example, you could have not worn your seatbelt the whole trip, and said "I didnt wear my seatbelt for the whole trip, and didn't have any problems" .... but you'd agree that a seatbelt would make you safer in certain situations .... right?

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
By the way, "equalizer" isn't a type. It's a brand name for one line of Weight Distribution hitches, and ironically, they don't sell it at Escape. It's kind of a case of calling every cola a "Coke".
If I'm not mistaken, the Fastway E2 that Escape sells IS made by Equalizer.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Fastway is the same as Equalizer but not made by them. Equalizer is made in the US and Fastway is not.

We tow a 19' with a 1/2 PU (Tundra) and have used the Anderson for 3 years and love it. Truck has sway control like the F-150 but the WDH makes the ride much smoother. Takes out most of the bouncing. If I was buying a new rig today I would purchase the Fastway E2 to maintain comfort in the ride.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #8

This link makes me think there is some connection between Equalizer and Fastway, but maybe not:

Fastway® by Progress : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store
Old 10-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Equal-i-zer is a brand, rather than a separate company - it doesn't make anything. The Equal-i-zer hitches are made by Progress Manufacturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Fastway is the same as Equalizer but not made by them. Equalizer is made in the US and Fastway is not.
The Fastway E2 hitch and the Equal-i-zer hitch are both products of Progress Manufacturing, so they are from the same company. The frame brackets are the same (or nearly so) in design, but the heads are different.

I don't know if it matters where they are made, if they are built to the same standards... other than for socio-economic reasons.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:17 AM   #10

This weekend I drove my Pathfinder and trailer about an hour to a friends house so that he could help me install and set up my Fastway E2 hitch. I drove mostly interstate in a very heavy wind. The trip over to his house was with the trailer just sitting on the hitch ball. The trip to his house was very nerve wracking, I never felt like I was in control of the trailer, especially with all the wind, and also the big rigs passing me. My friend was in front of me in his vehicle for part of the drive and he could tell from up ahead that I was having trouble.

Once we got everything installed and correctly adjusted, I drove it back the same route, in the same heavy wind. It was absolutely like night and day. No more sway, no more "porpoising". It felt solid, and it would be easy to forget that the trailer was back there.

In fact, my new worry now will be keeping an eye on the speedometer. Where before I was afraid to get over 55 or 60 mph, this thing tows so smoothly now that I looked down once and found that I was driving about 75.

I'm one of those folks who doesn't want to have to spend money on something unless I really, really need it. Which is why I did not want to invest in WDH and sway control until I had towed a couple of times without it.

And I know that there are some on here who tow without anything, and say it does great. Well good for them, but as for me, I will never tow without it again.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Greg,
What model Castaway E2 are you using?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Greg,
What model Castaway E2 are you using?
It is the Fastway E2, model 92-00-0600. And I bought it from here, great price, fast and free shipping.

https://accessories.lazydays.com/equ...FQEGaQodb1EPcw
Old 10-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is a good price, did it come with a ball?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

And I should add that the install was pretty easy, I just really needed someone to help me tighten some of the bolts. And once installed, set up is easy, and you don't have to undo anything when backing into a camp site. There are some really good you-tube videos about the install, and the instructions that came with it were very good also.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is a good price, did it come with a ball?
Jim, no matter where you order it from, it doesn't come with a ball. I had seen in the add that it required a hitch ball with 1.25" diameter shaft, and not knowing much about hitch balls, I assumed that was a standard one that I could just go down to the local U-haul and pick up at the last minute. Well, I was wrong, and no one had one in stock. But the U-haul shop did have reducer bushings that would work with a 1" diameter, and the instructions indicated that this is OK, so that is what I went with.