hitch grease - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
hitch grease

Shortly after we got our 17b, I noticed that it squeeked & creaked when going around corners. After reading about putting wax paper on the ball, I finally went to a hardware store and got some wheel bearing grease, and put that on the ball. It improved the creaking & squeaking. Then I added grease to the stabilizer bars, and now it is MUCH better, pretty much silent. But it also collects a lot of dirt, and if I am not careful, I get grease on my clothes when hitching and unhitching.

Is there some better grease for this purpose than wheel bearing grease? would a light weight lubricant like triflow work for this?

Interested in hearing your experience, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Leon
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #2

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
Re: hitch grease

Prior to every hitch up, I wipe off the hitch ball and the inside of the hitch coupler and then apply some white grease to the hitchball. I keep a small tube of it in the trailer and have a spray can of it at home. I've never tried applying grease to the wdh/stabilizer bars - although I might try that sometime.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Leon Webster...Another great plus for the 5.0...No grease required. A Teflon plate on the trailer pin and you're ready to TOW!!! Neat and clean too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I keep mine well lubricated and use one of these for protection ( sounds like an xrated post)
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

I use lucas lube for fith wheel hitch plate on the ball, I don't use a weight distribution set up so no bars to deal with. I also use um " protection" for the ball when not in use to minimize the mess. I have seen the hitch balls with the nylon piece on them much like the fith wheel plate that Alf uses , but not sure about that yet, I guess I will look into it more. I really don't miss having to deal with the equalizer bars.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I always use grease too. I don't wipe it off and reapply every time, but do once it starts to get a bit dirty and thicker.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #7

A friend uses a dryer sheet on top of ball no grease. It works well and no grease to get on your pant leg.
Chuck
Old 10-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #8

I would definitely not risk putting something like a dryer sheet between the ball and hitch. Too much chance of it causes grief. It could easily break down and have bits get caught up in the mechanism, something you may not even notice build up until a problem is created.

Using a good grease, and either wiping it off, removing the ball mount, or simply putting on a protective cover is such an easy thing to do. It is so simple, why try to reinvent a new way?

It is one of those "Why risk it" scenarios. Manufacturers recommend a hitch grease for good reason.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (jim)
I keep mine well lubricated and use one of these for protection ( sounds like an xrated post)
Hi:cpaharley2008... I too use a lube product called Dura-Lube www.duralube.com to keep the moving hitch parts moving. The hitch stays under cover. Either the trailer is on it, or the tonneau!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
almost there.jpg   Ready to get hitched.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #10

I used synthetic wheel bearing grease with our old Casita. After I tattooed my jeans and legs enough times, I got in the habit of wiping off the ball whenever we camped and re-greasing it when we hitched up. I stored everything with a light coating of the grease to prevent rust.

Those hitch-ball-covers look like a good idea, and will probably keep the greasy ball from getting coated with grit and increasing the wear in the hitch.

Dave

p.s.: The synthetic wheel bearing grease is also great for lubing the rails in semi-auto pistols and the bolts, lugs and rails in rifles.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I'm on my second old tennis ball, cut a little less than 180* from side to side. It goes on the hitch ball as soon as the hitch comes off, and only gets removed the moment I am hitching up. Second ball, because they do get crudded up after a while. Even though she has lots, the dog's not too happy when it comes time to donate one of her balls. No more lubricated pants.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

We had the same creaking on turns and came to the same conclusion as you, namely that the trunnion points on the WDH needed some oil. We used 3-in-1 oil but I would think that Triflow would work as well. To try to keep the oil off of us, we put the bars carefully into paper trash bags and change the bags every once in a while.

We use white hitch ball grease for that purpose that you should be able to find easily. It comes in tubs that are the size of the ball so that you just put the tub over the hitch ball to grease it. We clean the ball on every arrival and put on a cover if removing the hitch. We use a shop paper towel for cleaning which has the grease off in less than a minute. And then re-grease before hitching again. You are also supposed to put some grease up inside the coupler at least every once in a while if not every time out.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud
<snip>You are also supposed to put some grease up inside the coupler at least every once in a while if not every time out.
Agreed completely. I used to periodically spray the inside of the coupler with WD-40 (don't get me started on the misuse of WD-40) to rinse it down, then wiped it, then re-lubed it with a proper lubricant. An amazing amount of crud accumulates up in there.

Dave
Old 10-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #14

The only lube I do to the coupler itself, is to spray a white grease into the mechanical workings a couple times a year tops (wiping any excess off). I do wipe it clean on the mating surface with the ball once in a while, but only apply grease to the to the ball.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
I would definitely not risk putting something like a dryer sheet between the ball and hitch. Too much chance of it causes grief. It could easily break down and have bits get caught up in the mechanism, something you may not even notice build up until a problem is created.

Using a good grease, and either wiping it off, removing the ball mount, or simply putting on a protective cover is such an easy thing to do. It is so simple, why try to reinvent a new way?

It is one of those "Why risk it" scenarios. Manufacturers recommend a hitch grease for good reason.
Hey Jim but it smells better. Each time you unhook you throw away the dryer sheet. one time use.
Chuck