HITCH PINS Safety and Security - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Thanks for the responses. Greasing the trailer ball is listed as a maintenance item, but I've always wondered why. There is a reason not to, related to the messiness: the grease attracts dirt and grit, which would cause even more wear than just bare, dry metal-on-metal contact.

When I lived on the farm we greased everything else, all the time; my dad bought grease by the drum. But with all the farm trailer towing we did I don't recall ever (1) removing a hitch from its receiver or (2) greasing the trailer ball. I guess it's possible that friction from turning with a trailer could gradually loosen the ball, though, so I might start greasing it. But I think I'll leave the hitch in place and avoid another chance for error. I don't want to screw up with a hitch.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks for the responses. Greasing the trailer ball is listed as a maintenance item, but I've always wondered why. There is a reason not to, related to the messiness: the grease attracts dirt and grit, which would cause even more wear than just bare, dry metal-on-metal contact.

When I lived on the farm we greased everything else, all the time; my dad bought grease by the drum. But with all the farm trailer towing we did I don't recall ever (1) removing a hitch from its receiver or (2) greasing the trailer ball. I guess it's possible that friction from turning with a trailer could gradually loosen the ball, though, so I might start greasing it. But I think I'll leave the hitch in place and avoid another chance for error. I don't want to screw up with a hitch.

We put the grease on right before hooking up, then wipe it off right after unhooking. No dirt can get on it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #63

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We put the grease on right before hooking up, then wipe it off right after unhooking. No dirt can get on it.

Same here. Otherwise I am guaranteed to very shortly after have a big black grease smear on my leg or pants.
I used to put a little ball cover on it but found that was a hassle to keep clean. It attracted sand and dirt.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Same here. Otherwise I am guaranteed to very shortly after have a big black grease smear on my leg or pants.
I used to put a little ball cover on it but found that was a hassle to keep clean. It attracted sand and dirt.
I don't use grease, but still get a black pants dressing when hitting the ball...
Old 07-27-2017, 01:08 AM   #65

Trailer: 2015 E19'
I've got two rubber ball covers - one stays on the hitch ball till right when we're actually hitching up, and the other one stays on the coupler lock ball to keep the storage box nice and clean. It works real good to just put a paper towel across the "mouth" of the cover, then slide the cover and paper towel over the ball. Excess grease goes on the paper towel, then just throw the greasy paper towel away each time. Not particularly environmentally friendly perhaps, but very effective.

Also, when we drop the trailer and go out wheeling in the 4Runner on dirt roads and trails, the ball mount would be a real tail-dragger when it comes to departure angle. I would have bent things up any number of times by now...
Old 07-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #66

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If anyone wants to avoid grease from the ball, there is the option of using a greaseless ball, which has a nylon cap that slides in the coupler without needing grease. Of course, with grease already in the coupler, some serious cleaning will be required to reset to a clean state.

Andersen part 3662 - 2" Greaseless HardBall
Yes, this is the same company which sells the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection system and the No-Sway WD. The Ultimate uses the same type of ball, but the No-Sway WD does not, so I assume that the greaseless ball would not be compatible with the No-Sway.

I assume they wear out eventually, but it has a lifetime replacement warranty, and it's just a ball anyway so it would be cheap and easy to replace.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote