Hitch questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 17A
Hitch questions

Greetings everyone,

This is my first post since introducing my wife and I back in May. We are starting to get serious about making build-sheet decisions and what baffles me the most is what to decide about the hitch system.

Our TV is a 2000 4Runner V6 4WD. It has a tow rating of 5000 lb. We will be towing a new 17A with a total dry weight of 1970 and a GVWR of 3500. My 4Runner manual states that when towing over 2000 lb it is necessary to use a sway control device of sufficient capacity.

My towing experience has been limited to our old 78 Coachman tent trailer which is very light and easy to deal with. Now I have to learn to correctly handle a much larger, heavier rig with electric brakes.

Our "hatch" date is December 14 and we would like to drive from our home in central CA up to Chilliwack and bring our new trailer home at that time. A concern of mine is then driving hundreds of miles down the west coast during the season of winter storms coming in off of the Pacific.

So.....What is the best hitch setup for me? Equalizer?, Andersen?, sway control?

I asked this question of my local RV service tech and he suggested that I simply start with the standard hitch provided by ETI and see how it goes. Then make modifications as necessary. This sounds OK except that I do not want to find out that I should have something better after starting out on our journey home.

So there you have it. I would greatly appreciate hearing from all of you. Especially other 17 owners.

Allan
liveoakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
What your service tech says is what we had with the "same" TV (but 2011 so differences) and a 19'. Works well. No problems once you remember to crank a bit for removing it so as to get it off easier. And don't forget to remove the pins first!!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Depending on the options you're getting your shipping weight could be a bit more than 1970 lbs; I have the 17B with many options, A/C, solar, electric tongue jack, front storage box, U-Shaped rear dinette, extra insulation, etc. and the shipping weight was 2725 lbs.

Hitch? My Tug is a 2012 4Runner and I went for the Andersen and am quite happy, but that's me YMMV.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
My immediate response is to do nothing for the drive home. My only concern would be the rise or drop on the stinger and Dennis at Escape will make sure that is correct. The goal is to get the trailer level and he will insure that happens.

What better way to see if you really need to do any hitch modification is that drive back to CA. Don't worry you are not going to capsize.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Allan, if your object is sway control, there's a sure fire way to reduce sway, and that's sufficient tongue weight. A light tongue is the number one cause of sway. A weight distribution hitch may help with sway, but that is not its primary purpose -- its to redistribute weight from the rear axle to the front axle of your tow vehicle. We use an Andersen Hitch and we like the way it feels when towing, but if you don't need weight distribution, try towing without one and see how it goes. You may find you really don't need it. That would be a fortunate thing. WDH unhooking and hooking up can be a bit of a pain.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Rob- you seem glad you have the Andersen with a Ford F150. I like it too with my Yukon. With a curb weight of 3900 lbs. wouldn't the 4Runner benefit more from the overall effect of a WDH than our TV's- especially with the owner's manual indicating sway control for over 2000 lbs.?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Rob- you seem glad you have the Andersen with a Ford F150. I like it too with my Yukon. With a curb weight of 3900 lbs. wouldn't the 4Runner benefit more from the overall effect of a WDH than our TV's- especially with the owner's manual indicating sway control for over 2000 lbs.?
Yes, we do like it Ross, but to be honest the F150 would probably tow our 19 just fine without it. The truck has an automatic sway control built in. The one thing I like the most about it is that the trailer and tow feel more like "one piece" - totally connected and solid with little to no "porpoising".

Yes, his tow is lighter, but his trailer is also lighter and smaller. I see no need up front for redistributing weight when towing a 17A with a 4-Runner, so maybe try it without one? I think Paul has it right.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I started to mention that "one piece" feel as well and as to why not try it without- I would say the reason is that we know it is a better tow experience, especially when being passed by semis.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Be sure to check your manual. At least with the 2007 V6 4Runner (4th generation), a weight distribution hitch is not recommended. The V8 version is fine to use one. The difference has to do with how the factory hitch is mounted with the V6 and V8 models. The 2007 V6 is rated for 5000lbs, while the V8 is rated for 7500 (I think).

It may be different with your 2000 model year (3rd generation).
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It took me six years to get a response from Toyota, but the manual for the RAV4 ( 2008 ) says a WDH is not recommended.
What it should have said is that Toyota does not recommend a particular WDH.
When they finally replied, they said they do not have a relationship with a WDH provider and so they cannot recommend one.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 19'
My TV is a 2005 4runner V8

I called ETI and got the neutral level measurement for our 19'. And placed 350 lbs+/- on the hitch and made sure it hit the mark. I had to purchase an up 3" stinger.

We picked up the trailer and I like how it tows off the ball. The dual axle tracks like a dream and it's simple to hitch.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 AM   #12
Site Team

Thanks for the info Klem. More evidence that a WDH may not be needed by the OP. His trailer will be single axle so it may not track as well, but certainly weight distribution will be even less of a concern with such a light trailer.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:23 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I may tend to be overly cautious but I think I'd get the Anderson from ETI. The least it will do is eliminate any chance of sway or bounce, at least that's what the website says. You can always try towing later without if it proves to be much of a hassle.

I previously used a non Anderson, the only real hassle was carrying it out front from the back yard. It was a beast.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:32 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Adding an Andersen WDH to an Escape trailer is a relatively simple process. Some larger sized sockets or wrenches are the only tools needed. It can be done in two hours. The company provides some excellent videos on doing the install.

There maybe some cost savings: the first is to determine if you even need a WDH and second the hitches sell for $449 in the US, including shipping.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
the hitches sell for $449 in the US, including shipping.
Don't forget conversion. That's $567 CA.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
The OP's 17A will be well over the 2000 lb limit Toyota states for towing without an anti sway device. I'm an overly cautious ole man so I'd opt for for either hitch with anti sway control now rather than drive down the coast during the winter white knuckled all the way.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 17A
Many thanks to all of you for your responses --- very educational. Although a few questions still remain.

My understanding is that Escape trailers do not come with a weight distribution hitch (WDH) unless you select it as an option.

Is it possible to have a sway control device without a WDH?

When I pick up our trailer we will not be in a rush so I suppose I could have modifications done along the way if necessary.

And Klem --- I like your idea for pre-testing the hitch. What method did you use to add 350lb?

Thank again to all. This is really helpful

Allan
liveoakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
Site Team

My understanding is that Escape trailers do not come with a weight distribution hitch (WDH) unless you select it as an option.
Correct.
Is it possible to have a sway control device without a WDH?
Yes. My truck has one built in, but they do sell "sway control only" systems. Here's an example:

Sway Control Only Weight Distribution | etrailer.com

When I pick up our trailer we will not be in a rush so I suppose I could have modifications done along the way if necessary.
Yes, but it's more convenient to just have it done at ETI or go without. More time camping instead of an RV shop.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Deciding on the Andersen hitch was one decision that I was back and forth on more than anything else. I have a tow vehicle that I ordered mainly for trailer towing and yet when we were in Chilliwack, Reace looked at it and still thought that the Andersen would be a good idea. And after reading all of the positive comments on this forum, it went on the build sheet. Now just waiting to see and feel the results. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Deciding on the Andersen hitch was one decision that I was back and forth on more than anything else. I have a tow vehicle that I ordered mainly for trailer towing and yet when we were in Chilliwack, Reace looked at it and still thought that the Andersen would be a good idea.
Exactly what happened to me Loren. Having said that, we're talking about a 17 here, and not a 21. That's a big factor. Maybe the OP could just wait until pickup day and go with Reace's recommendation?