Home from Chicago area - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Home from Chicago area

We had our trailer delivered to our friends in the Chicago area and made a nice trip of it going back to Naples Fl. We went from Toledo-Cleveland-Akron-Ky-Atlanta-N Fl.-Home We stayed at friends houses and trailer.Towing with a 2 whl .drive Toyota Sequoia we got 13.2 mpg I thought we might get 14 but no Cigar What are the rest of you guys getting towing a 21 ?.
We tried almost every thing out to see everything was working .
the only problem was the TV antenna (Jack) the one that shows the signal strength went out and then would come back on ? (blue lights 1-4 to show strength) I hope its not a problem Does this blue light have a timer that stays on for a small amount of time or is it something else . I wanted to wait a few weeks or so and get a punch list if needed and then call ETI . Since we live in Fl. we can use our trailer all year long plenty of State parks and if your a Resident you pay 1/2 usually $10-12 a night with full hookups . This trailer is so much bigger then our last trailer lots of storage we only used a few of the cabinets . Hope to see more Escapees next Summer Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Over 30K Mikes towing our 21 with a 2WD Yukon and 13.2 is also our consistent average. Doubt I would have gotten any better with our Highlander we traded as it would have worked much harder.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We had our trailer delivered to our friends in the Chicago area and made a nice trip of it going back to Naples Fl. We went from Toledo-Cleveland-Akron-Ky-Atlanta-N Fl.-Home We stayed at friends houses and trailer.Towing with a 2 whl .drive Toyota Sequoia we got 13.2 mpg I thought we might get 14 but no Cigar What are the rest of you guys getting towing a 21 ?.
We tried almost every thing out to see everything was working .
the only problem was the TV antenna (Jack) the one that shows the signal strength went out and then would come back on ? (blue lights 1-4 to show strength) I hope its not a problem Does this blue light have a timer that stays on for a small amount of time or is it something else . I wanted to wait a few weeks or so and get a punch list if needed and then call ETI . Since we live in Fl. we can use our trailer all year long plenty of State parks and if your a Resident you pay 1/2 usually $10-12 a night with full hookups . This trailer is so much bigger then our last trailer lots of storage we only used a few of the cabinets . Hope to see more Escapees next Summer Jim
Hi: jennykatz... Congrats on getting your 21 home. We too have had the similar antenna issues... but it always comes back. I have checked all connections but found nothing amiss. The signal lights stay lit while in use, but are very sensitive to signal fluctuations, and our black slide switch on the antenna base stays on all the time. I just use the push on/ push off button on the wall plate.
As for mpg's you'll do a lot better on the basically flat land of Fla. The 21'er has more frontal area to break wind with so to speak.
Last year on the way home from Alabama I discovered the rolling hills of I65 easier than the mountains of I75. Nashville Tenn. was the only congestion and I71 to I75 at Cinci. was easy.
Enjoy your new found space and love to see you in Florida this winter. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Pay half...? Being able to camp almost all year around...? What am I doing HERE
Congratulations you lucky ducks!!!! Enjoy!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I recall, the blue lights are only on if there is a signal being received, otherwise they remain off.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
As for gas mileage with a full size 4 wheel drive pickup, 13.5 to 14 is about it towing the 21. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #7

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
What are the rest of you guys getting towing a 21 ?.
Hi, on our 1,300 mile trip home from Chilliwack with an EMPTY trailer, our 2016 Ram 3.6L 2 wheel drive averaged 15.8 mpg per console on regular gasoline. The grades and passes dropped mileage for sure but always got it back on the downside. Had our destination been at the top of the pass, average would have been a lot lower. Will have better idea on subsequent trips with loaded trailer. Please see link below describing our maiden voyage trip home.

I will say this, as pointed out the rather vertical flat frontal trailer area does not help. We purposely averaged 60 mph to keep mileage in check.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ence-9002.html
Old 11-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
On our recent round trip from Ca. to New Hampshire, we took I-80 Eastbound for most of the way, and I-70 Westbound for most of the way. We held it at 60 mph almost all the time. We averaged 15.3 mpg going east and 14.7 mpg going west. A bit more headwind when westbound. 6700 miles total. City and Highway combined when not towing is 21.5 mpg.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Santiago,
Do you have your trailer's weight? Seems without the awning, foam, and refrigerator and front box? it should weight considerably less than a fully optioned 21' ?
Old 11-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #10

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems without the awning, foam, and refrigerator and front box
Have thermal windows, full insulation, front storage box now.

Soon 6.8 cf electric fridge (95 lbs) and (2) 6vdc 400 AH total AGM LifeLine batteries mounted over axle - 119 lbs each (238 lbs total) - minus standard 12vdc wet cell factory battery and box that will be removed and currently mounted under far rear dinette bench.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Soon 6.8 cf electric fridge (95 lbs) and (2) 6vdc 400 AH total AGM LifeLine batteries mounted over axle - 119 lbs each (238 lbs total)...
Santiago,

Based on capacity and weight, that looks like the GPL-L16; is that correct? These are very tall compared to other sizes used in RVs.

You are talking about having them over the axles - does that mean you consider the normal 21' location under the curbside dinette seat effectively over the axle (and you're counting on sufficient height), or do you have a more novel location in mind?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Based on capacity and weight, that looks like the GPL-L16; is that correct? These are very tall compared to other sizes used in RVs.
Hello Brian,

Yes GPL L16 AGM, tall? yes.

Plan A is to have curb side ride on its side, street side standing up.
Will hear Monday from LifeLine if this combo will be ok ( 1 on side 1 straight up ).
If there is any doubt coming from them ... Plan B is to have both straight up even though that means a little more work on my part.

Location will be between the two tires ( axles ) sitting on the floor inside the cabinet one on each side of the aisle. Yes we will lose a little storage space but honestly there is way more storage in the 21ft than we will need. We travel light. Either way, both will be centered over the two axles. I prefer both standing.

September 2015 when we visited ETI, I was allowed to inspect a unit under construction to see and measure what's under the countertop cabinet. I remember Reace telling me that if we chose to go with the new up and coming 2017 model with its flatter side walls I would have more room for the battery due to more width at floor level. I turned his offer down as we had our hearts set on the original classic shape and door even though the photos of the mock up looked really nice.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Thanks Santiago.

I'm looking forward to reading about the installation, when you get a chance to do it... in a different thread, of course.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #14

Absolutely Brian. I might say, you are a very interesting fellow whose technical curiosity and inquisitiveness I greatly admire. Am glad you post here. I have learned a great deal from you and value the suggestions and opinions you offer all of us.

The North America RV world does not seem to like innovation, aside from pop outs. On the other side of the Atlantic, they do caravans more to my liking. Kim and I will visit England, land of the great Colin Chapman, Jimmy Clark, may they rest in peace, and the Magna Carta, less than two weeks from now. As we take buses and trains sightseeing the countryside, we hope we run into caravans and bask in their design, pictures will be taken of course. As you might pick up, North American RV designs don't excite me as much.

Thank you Brian
Old 11-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #15

21 escape

We are Home and we just put in the tv arm and it works Great from bed or dining table . We also bought a Black and Decker microwave .07 it fits in the cabinet and works fine ($49target) I like that the cabinet can close and it keeps everything in its place . The next thing is to buy a Inverter (1500-2000 watt?) I want to be able to run the microwave and my wife's hair dryer ( had ETI run a power cord to the cabinet for future inverter)then to tackle the storage under the 54 in bed up front . I plan to section it off the one door will have a slide out drawer and the other will have a separate area for shoes and such.
BTW first thing I did was wax the sides still wondering how I will do the bottom the roof comes next week . JIm
Old 11-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
We are Home and we just put in the tv arm and it works Great from bed or dining table . We also bought a Black and Decker microwave .07 it fits in the cabinet and works fine ($49target) I like that the cabinet can close and it keeps everything in its place . The next thing is to buy a Inverter (1500-2000 watt?) I want to be able to run the microwave and my wife's hair dryer ( had ETI run a power cord to the cabinet for future inverter)then to tackle the storage under the 54 in bed up front . I plan to section it off the one door will have a slide out drawer and the other will have a separate area for shoes and such.
BTW first thing I did was wax the sides still wondering how I will do the bottom the roof comes next week . JIm
Hi: jennykatz... To do the bottom you have to turn it over!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #17

smoke detector and mods

I forgot to mention that the smoke detector went off the few nights we stayed in our camper ? Has anyone had this experience?

I put up the TV holder today and bought plywood to division off under the bed and to keep the pex pipes from getting hit with underneath storage .
Also bought an extra 10ga. 30 amp extension cord so now I have about 50ft to the elec poll. So now the mods start
1-TV holder done
2-make a sliding draw and division off under bed work in progress
3-buying a 1500-2000 watt inverter and putting it in
4-buy or build a metal box for the front of trailer
5-buy microwave and make sure it fits cabinet done
6-Relax and have a cold one or two work in progress every night
Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
TV and TV Arm

Quote:
We are Home and we just put in the tv arm and it works Great from bed or dining table . JIm
What size TV do you have, what type of tv arm and where did you mount it? We are thinking of a 32 inch mounted on an arm attached to the optional cabinet above the drawers at the foot of the bed. I hope to find a tv arm where the tv is easily removed and carry it on the bed when we travel.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I hope to find a tv arm where the tv is easily removed and carry it on the bed when we travel.
They're available on ebay. I just ordered one, though for a smaller tv. Quick release from the arm was one feature I wanted.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #20

tv arm

We bought the tv arm from ETI for $95 it works Great for a 20 in tv with a dvd built in I think a 32in tv might be to big to put away when not using
Yes the ETI arm does come apart so tv can stay on bed for transit .I think the ETI arm says 19-24? tv but not sure Its also a 110 AC tv so I use a small inverter for boondocking the 12 volt tv's cost more