Honda Ridgeline and Andersen Hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Sorry 56reader for my dyslexia!
No problem! I did call but the first question was - "are you older than 50, then press ..." I ended call with that question, figured not the correct place! Looked in manual and found it!

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:04 AM   #22

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Jumping as a Ridgeline owner who has a 21' coming in December. From everything I've seen on this forum it seems best for me to go with the standard hitch, use a tongue weight gauge like the Shurline to make sure I stay in spec and maybe use a simple sway bar. Does that pretty well sum it up? Any recommendations on the sway bar?
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Honda Ridgeline and Andersen Hitch

I had a Reese anti-sway bar with my old trailer and Reese WDH and the instructions said not to use it in the rain. It wasn't supposed to be safe, plus it squawked something fierce if it got wet. Am I alone in this experience? The Andersen is fine in the rain. I pull out Escape 21 with a 2005 Tundra though.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
It would be good to know if getting the anti-sway bar wet is an issue. I live in Oregon :-)
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I had a Reese anti-sway bar with my old trailer and Reese WDH and the instructions said not to use it in the rain. It wasn't supposed to be safe, plus it squawked something fierce if it got wet. Am I alone in this experience? The Andersen is fine in the rain. I pull out Escape 21 with a 2005 Tundra though.
Bob K
The separate friction antisway always sounded like a bad deal. Depends on operator adjustment. Take it off when backing. Wet issue. That's why I went with Reese Dual Cam on my HiLo and Reese SC when I bought our Casita. No adjustments once set up. Dual Cam did creak and groan. SC a tiny bit once and a while but mostly silent. Sway control built in. Several other companies do variations as well.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #26

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
not sure which is which- don't know the names- but i have a traditional bars /chains one is that a Reese WDH? If so i used that set up in the rain a lot also used it with horse trailers in the rain a lot is their really an issue with using it in the rain? It seems all towing devices should be good in rain never know when its going to rain cant just pull over and wait.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
not sure which is which- don't know the names- but i have a traditional bars /chains one is that a Reese WDH? If so i used that set up in the rain a lot also used it with horse trailers in the rain a lot is their really an issue with using it in the rain? It seems all towing devices should be good in rain never know when its going to rain cant just pull over and wait.
Fox Hunt,

Unless you have changed things in the past year, you have the Reese WDH (but not the extra anti-sway device). I think that when folks are talking about not using the Anti-sway device they are talking a small friction device that is supposed to dampen sway.

We drove lots of miles with our WDH, sometimes in the rain, and never had a problem.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
ok thanks - i don't think i need sway control it doesn't seem to sway it feels very solid on the freeway. i don't like the way it bounces around on some rough roads but that may just be because its a small light trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #29

Trailer: 85 Bigfoot F20 5th Wheel
Wdh - Honda Engineer

Here is an explanation of why Honda recommends that you should not use a wdh with a ridgeline. This is from Gary Flint the chief engineer for the ridgeline - (aka Kodiak)

Hope the link works...

Weight Distribution Hitch - Page 4 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
dalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Makes me want to try our upcoming trip without the chains on the Andersen. In "How To Tow Safely" by JD Gallant(RV Consumer Group) he warns of WDH set too tight.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote