Honda Ridgeline Revival - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Great. It has an audio system in the truck bed.
Can it tow anything?
Are they selling a truck?
The audio system is for "tailgaters", and although many of us would consider it silly, there are many silly features available in all types of vehicle, especially in the fanciest trim levels. I won't list any that I consider silly, because I'm sure some member of the forum would like that feature and be offended. Fortunately, the truck bed audio system does not work while driving.

Yes, it can tow, enough for any Escape (except the fifth-wheels, due to box length) - that's why it is being discussed here, and why some Escape owners have the first generation Ridgeline. Honda has not been promoting the towing capacity in what I have seen so far, but it is months from retail availability.
The payload of a Ridgeline is similar to other pickup trucks of its size and engine size.

So, what is not "truck" about this vehicle? Is it not crude enough?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
In the link, Honda chooses to point out all the fluffy stuff in the new Ridgeline and nothing that makes a truck useful. That was my point. It's like GM selling Wifi instead of vehicles.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #43

I think accessible cargo space is useful (and three of the four features promoted on that Honda website are about cargo access), but I agree that the audio system is fluff just as is the GM WiFi hotspot... which doesn't make either a Ridgeline or a Silverado any less of a truck. I just hope people don't use that audio system in campgrounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
The sound system has a "sampled-sounds" module, with Anderson hitch noises programmed in, so it sounds to all the world like it's towing.
That raises all sorts of possibilities - how about a smoke generator to make people think it's a diesel that some moron has taken to a "tuner"?
Old 01-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I owned a Ridgeline prior to acquiring my Toyota Tundra. The Ridgeline had more payload capacity than the Tundra.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I'm holding out for a Permafrost.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #46

ConsumerReports makes an interesting claim in their review (2017 Honda Ridgeline Pickup Truck Looks Conventional but Still Innovative):
Quote:
Honda also claims Ridgeline will outpace traditional midsized trucks in towing capacity and cargo hauling. (The original was limited to 5,000-lbs. tow capacity; the new one will need to pull more than 7,000-lbs. to make good on the boast.)
I see the logic, but a 7000-pound tow rating in a Ridgeline seems unlikely, and apparently only ConsumerReports heard someone from Honda says this...

Here's the Car and Driver's take on this subject, from 2017 Honda Ridgeline: The Crossover of Pickups Returns
Quote:
Honda says it is still finalizing the Ridgeline's towing and payload ratings, revealing only that maximum payload is "approaching 1600 pounds" and that it will tow more than the Pilot, which is rated to pull as much as 3500 pounds with front-wheel drive and 5000 pounds in AWD form; the previous Ridgeline could tow 5000 pounds.
With the same powertrain as the Pilot, 5000 pounds seems reasonable, and sufficient for any conventional (not fifth-wheel) Escape, although a heavily loaded 21 Foot may not leave much cargo or passenger capacity in the Ridgeline. The rating would only need to be marginally more than 5000 pounds to be "more than the Pilot"... but who knows, maybe it will be significantly higher. The structurally and mechanically similar VW Touareg is rated for 7700 pounds, but with hitch weight limited to something like 700 pounds.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 21
Ridgeline towing

There's an administrator in the Ridgeline forum who has posted some pictures he took of the truck, including this one showing a 5,000 lb towing limit and 500 lb tongue weight (the old Ridgeline was at 5,000 towing and 600 tongue). Even though Honda hasn't announce a towing limit, the sticker is on the back of the truck at the Detroit auto show.

5,000 lbs is tight for a 21.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (174.9 KB, 41 views)

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm holding out for a Permafrost.
Due to global warming, the Permafrost has been cancelled. The next model will be the Swamp.

Think BIG from the start, its the same effort!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... The structurally and mechanically similar VW Touareg is rated for 7700 pounds, but with hitch weight limited to something like 700 pounds.
And you believe VW on that one Reminds me that we saw a couple with a Touareg in Big Sur with a 25' Airstream. They were very proud of their composting toilet I remember. Then we saw them coincidentally driving home on the 101 near King City. They were nose up on the tug and looked like deer in headlights If it sounds too good to be true....
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
And you believe VW on that one Reminds me that we saw a couple with a Touareg in Big Sur with a 25' Airstream. They were very proud of their composting toilet I remember. Then we saw them coincidentally driving home on the 101 near King City. They were nose up on the tug and looked like deer in headlights If it sounds too good to be true....
Yes, I believe the VW tow rating, but I also believe that owners violate it.

My guess is that the Airstream owners chose to ignore the hitch weight and axle load ratings, and had their Touareg overloaded - perhaps in total (gross combined) weight, but likely with too much tongue weight, cargo, and passenger load. I doubt there's a 7700 pound Airstream out there with only 8% of its weight on the tongue.

I think it's unlikely that Honda would set a trailer weight rating to more than ten times the hitch weight limit, because people like these VW owners will not read all of the limits and follow them; they will likely assume, like most other manufacturers selling in North America that owners will only give the ratings a cursory glance.