Honda Ridgeline Revival - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #71

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The press info does not confirm the 3500 lb value, but I think anyone towing a travel trailer such as an Escape should assume that they must get the AWD and possibly an elevated trim or equipment level.
True enough. With a 1500 lbs+ payload capacity, it's a 3/4 ton truck, even though it's considered "lightweight". Considering it's a 3.5L V6 as well, I wouldn't consider a max towing capacity of 5000 lbs (if you add AWD) to be "robust" - but that's just me.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #72

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I would love one, but I've made the mistake before of buying a pickup and having to trade it in because it just wasn't practical for 2 big dogs, gear, and groceries. Guess I'll have to keep looking at the new "Now I look like everyone else" Pilot. Does anyone here have a new Pilot?

blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #73

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
I would love one, but I've made the mistake before of buying a pickup and having to trade it in because it just wasn't practical for 2 big dogs, gear, and groceries. Guess I'll have to keep looking at the new "Now I look like everyone else" Pilot.
The Ridgeline is essentially the pickup version of the Pilot... or the Pilot is the SUV version of the Ridgeline.

I think the appeal of the Ridgeline is that for someone who likes the Pilot this is the version with a longer wheelbase and an open box instead of closed cargo area. If a closed body works better for you than an open box, then an SUV is certainly the straightforward answer.

This is just like choosing between a Chevrolet Silverado versus a Yukon, a Ford F-150 versus an Expedition, or a Toyota Tundra versus a Sequoia.

Dogs can go in crates in the pickup box, and are safer there... although they don't get heat or air conditioning that way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #74

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Dogs can go in crates in the pickup box, and are safer there... although they don't get heat or air conditioning that way.
I read that sentence to Coco. She whined a bit then went under the bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coco.JPG (395.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Coco is smart. No self-respecting dog goes for that nonsense.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #76

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
There was a famous guy, I can't remember his name, who put a dog in a cage on top of his station wagon and went on vacation. He had a car full of passengers and was trying to MITT igate the situation.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #77

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Yeah, unfortunately, either the dogs or the groceries would freeze in the winter... And now I'm up to 3 dogs weighing about 270 lbs all together...
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 AM   #78

I visited a lure coursing event; it looked like all the dogs rode in crates, although mostly inside vehicles rather than in truck boxes. Sled dogs and hunting dogs typically ride in dog boxes (multi-compartment crates) mounted on trucks. Pampered pets are, of course, another matter...

Quote:
Quote:

Bailey's crate is inside of my hatchback car or the van... but I'm sure he would jump in happily if it were in the back of a truck, in any season. He's a northern mutt dog (reportedly mostly Border Collie and German Shepherd), and weather generally doesn't concern him.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:53 AM   #79

Quote:
True enough. With a 1500 lbs+ payload capacity, it's a 3/4 ton truck, even though it's considered "lightweight". Considering it's a 3.5L V6 as well, I wouldn't consider a max towing capacity of 5000 lbs (if you add AWD) to be "robust" - but that's just me.
I agree that the payload is substantial and that 5000 pounds is not up to the trailer towing capacity expected of comparable vehicles (Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado).

For those with turbocharged engines, a reminder that this 3.5L is not turbocharged; it is equivalent to the lowest-powered engine choice in an F-150. That corresponding configuration (SuperCab 4x4, with 3.5L Ti-VCT V6) of F-150 is rated for 5000 pounds (with 3.55:1 final drive ratio) to 7200 pounds of towing capacity (with 3.73:1)... so the Ridgeline rating is not unreasonable or unprecedented.

It will be interesting to see how much the Ridgeline can carry while towing a trailer. Pickups are usually rated for trailer weight with nothing but a driver in the truck, while some vehicles (such as our Toyota Sienna) can tow the maximum trailer in addition to half a ton of passengers and cargo. That sort of detail is important to usability, and unknown at this point for the Ridgeline.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #80

Full specifications are out:
(only for AWD, since only the AWD would likely be of interest to anyone towing an Escape)
Dimensions
  • Wheelbase: 125.2 in (versus 111 in for the Pilot)
  • Length: 210.0 in (versus 194.5 in for the Pilot)
  • Height (in): 70.8
  • Width (in): 78.6
  • Track (in): Front/Rear 66.1/66.0
  • Ground Clearance (unladen) (in): 7.28/7.87
  • Clearance Angles, Approach/Breakover/Departure: 20.1/ 19.6/22.1
Weights and Weight Ratings
  • Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) (lbs): 9986
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lbs): 6019
  • Curb Weight (lbs): 4431 to 4515 (depending on trim)
  • Weight Distribution (front/rear %): 57.6/42.4
  • Total Payload Capacity (lbs): 1584 to 1499 (depending on trim)
  • Towing Capacity (lbs): 5000
selected other details
  • Tires: 245/60R18 105H
  • Engine Type: 3.5L V-6
  • Displacement: 3471 cc
  • Horsepower (SAE net): 280 @ 6000 rpm
  • Torque (SAE net): 262 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm
  • Redline: 6800 rpm
  • 6-Speed Automatic Transmission

These are generally similar to a Pilot, except that the Ridgeline is substantially longer overall and in wheelbase. The engine is identical; probably everything from the driver's seat forward is probably functionally identical. The Ridgeline does not get the 9-speed transmission which is found in some Pilot trim levels; it has the same gear ratios and final drive ratio as the 6-speed Pilot. The Ridgeline is a couple hundred pounds heavier than the Pilot.

Some notes from a quick analysis:
  • With a 9986 pound GCWR and 4515 pound curb weight, a 5000-pound trailer would leave 471 pounds for options, occupants and cargo... marginal, so Escape 21' owners would want to avoid loading the trailer up to its limit. On the other hand, many vehicles have only a driver allowance left when towing the maximum trailer; this is better.
  • With 6019 GVWR and 4515 pound curb weight, a 600 pound tongue weight (12% of a 5000 pound trailer) would leave 904 pounds for options, occupants and cargo... GCWR, rather than GVWR (or payload) would be the limitation for trailer weight.
  • Axle loads at the curb (ready to go but no occupants, cargo, or trailer) would be 2600 pounds front and 1915 pounds rear; adding 500 pounds to the hitch would pry about 35% of that off of the front axle and so add 135% of that to the rear axle (with no WD system), resulting in 2425 pounds on the front and 2590 pounds on the rear. Weight of passengers would add to both axles; weight of cargo in the box would add to the rear axle. As long as the rear Gross Axle Weight Rating is reasonable (the tires are good for at least 3670 pounds), the load distribution may be quite reasonable without resorting to add-on hardware.
  • The wheelbase 14.2 inches longer the Pilot, and the length is 15.5 inches longer than the Pilot, so (assuming that the front is the same) the rear overhang is only slightly longer than the SUV.