Honda Ridgeline Revival - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Honda Ridgeline Revival

I was expecting the Honda Ridgeline to fade away permanently after its discontinuance for this model year, following the example of other niche vehicles which have survived through only one extended generation. It looks like I was wrong - a side note in Honda's recent presentation about the 2016 Pilot was about the related Ridgeline, which will apparently get revived to share the new Pilot platform, according to various reports. The Pilot is to be released late this year as a 2016 model; the Ridgeline might be a year behind that. The presentation was at the Chicago Auto Show yesterday (2015 Feb 16).

The possible significance to Escape owners is that the Ridgeline has sufficient capacity to tow all conventional Escape models, although depending on passengers, cargo in the truck, and cargo in the trailer a 21-foot might be pushing it. The current version has been towing Escapes for forum members for years. The cab-to-axle clearance on a Ridgeline is very short for even an original Escape 5.0, let alone the wider 5.0TA, and the expected change in body profile probably won't be enough to address this issue for the fifth-wheels.

For those who want a Honda and long wheelbase, or a Honda and an open cargo bed, or just like the characteristics of this vehicle, it's good news.

One caveat: the designer's conceptual drawing seems to show an increased rear overhang, which would (if it becomes reality) degrade towing behaviour.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The current Ridgeline had a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. We towed across the country with no problems. The current Pilot has a towing capacity of 4,500 lbs. No word at the introduction as to the capacity of the new Pilot. Rumors in the Ridgeline forum are of a 6 spd and 9 spd transmission and a towing capacity of maybe 5,500 or 6,000 lbs. p

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #3

There's all sorts of material in other forums, but most of what I've seen looks like wild speculation or rumour, although it can be interesting if only to see what current Ridgeline owners are asking.

Here's the very minimal Honda web page:
Next Generation Ridgeline
Old 02-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A Mercedes Benz G-class SUV caught my eye today and with nothing to do during a time out in the Scotties Curling I looked it up.
The economy version is $122,000 in Canada and the AMG version is $152,000.
The tow capacity is - yes, - .

Technical specs here: Mercedes-Benz Canada - Facts & Figures - Technical data
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 11.49.23 PM.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There's all sorts of material in other forums, but most of what I've seen looks like wild speculation or rumour, although it can be interesting if only to see what current Ridgeline owners are asking.

Here's the very minimal Honda web page:
Next Generation Ridgeline
Within the last week, the administrator of the Ridgeline site has closed the old discussions and started one with information that seems to be coming from Honda which he is posting. It could be complete bs but seems to me to be very reasonable given some of the details and the source, and the direction of the other large Honda products.

Next-Generation 2017 Ridgeline latest information - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

I do agree there have been many rumors and Honda has been less than forthcoming.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
A Mercedes Benz G-class SUV caught my eye today and with nothing to do during a time out in the Scotties Curling I looked it up.
The economy version is $122,000 in Canada and the AMG version is $152,000.
The tow capacity is - yes, - .

Technical specs here: Mercedes-Benz Canada - Facts & Figures - Technical data
That didn't make sense to me at first so I followed the link, and indeed the towing capacity is listed as "-"... meaning none. This vehicle is the current version of one which started as a military machine (and is in fact the current Canadian light transport - we have over a thousand of them), so the fundamental capabilities of this rugged truck design have been forgotten. The G-Wagen has separate body-on-frame construction and beam axles.

It just goes to show that nothing should be assumed based simply on some design characteristics. The Honda Ridgeline is a unibody with a drivetrain that is primarily front-wheel-drive... and I think it makes a perfectly good truck for many purposes.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #7

Yup. V8 bi-turbo delivers 560 HP and has a top speed of 210 KPH, but can't tow anything. It's in the details.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yup. V8 bi-turbo delivers 560 HP and has a top speed of 210 KPH, but can't tow anything. It's in the details.
The G550 has a towing capacity of 7000 lbs when properly equipped. It looks like it's just an omission on the spec sheet you linked.

G550 Luxury, 4MATIC, All-Wheel Drive SUV | Mercedes-Benz
Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #9

Details, details.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #10

Now clearly, trailers are much more difficult to tow in Canada, so the Mercedes rating is zero here and 7000 lb in the U.S. We just need to hope that the laws of physics work differently for Honda.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
Within the last week, the administrator of the Ridgeline site has closed the old discussions and started one with information that seems to be coming from Honda which he is posting. It could be complete bs but seems to me to be very reasonable given some of the details and the source, and the direction of the other large Honda products.

Next-Generation 2017 Ridgeline latest information - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums...
I noticed that. There's still a huge element of "trust me I know", and much seems to be based on an outline image circulated by Honda a year ago. I think the most valuable information at this point might be:
  • the Ridgeline is being renewed, so people with flexible schedules might want to keep it in mind
  • the new Ridgeline will be based on the new Pilot, so some general characteristics are known
  • it is possible to subscribe to updates from Honda, so it is not necessary to actively watch for new information.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #12

For the $122k price of the G-class, you could get an F150 and a Ridgeline and have enough left over for his and hers Escapes (and you could tow them both in Canada).

Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19
I love my Honda Ridgeline!

But I guess many experts complained about the interior design, the over large door handles, the plain dash, etc. Sounds like interior will get a major redesign. I am not wild about the new exterior, but I imagine it will give you more options for a cover or cap. New exterior looks like every other truck!

What is changing to increase towing capacity from 5000?

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If this is it, it reminds me alot of the new Colorado. Anything to get rid of those sloping bed rails sounds good to me.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-Honda-Ridgeline-Release-Date.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Me likely!
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19
Actually, the new one does look nice, but I liked the sloping look!

Now if they would make the mirrors so you could swap them out for towing mirrors, that would be really cool! Looks like the only option for towing mirrors in current model is to get the ones that attach to existing mirrors using clips....

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If this is it, it reminds me alot of the new Colorado. Anything to get rid of those sloping bed rails sounds good to me.
That photo is a fantasy by an enthusiast (John Nguyen), who captioned it when he posted it a few years ago with
Quote:
here is what Honda new Ridgeline should look like if Honda decide to make a new one
So, it might look like that, but I think a better guess would be that it will look exactly like the new Pilot, but with a box.

The sloping bed rails - or "flying buttresses" - are gone, according to the limited information released by Honda.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56reader View Post
Now if they would make the mirrors so you could swap them out for towing mirrors, that would be really cool! Looks like the only option for towing mirrors in current model is to get the ones that attach to existing mirrors using clips....
Given the commonality with the Pilot, I suspect that you will be able to get just whatever mirrors are available for the Pilot (which means no extended towing mirrors)... unless the new Ridgeline sells a hundred times as many units as the current one, to people who tow, and thus attracts aftermarket attention.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #19

Although it has no real information - just a drawing and an information sign-up form - Honda does now have a Future Models & Concepts page for the Next Generation Ridgeline.

The 2016 Honda Pilot SUV page is much more informative, and includes a page of specifications... most of which probably apply to the Ridgeline. This confirms the 6-speed and 9-speed transmissions that Bill mentioned earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
RidgelineArtistConcept.jpg  
Old 06-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Ridgeline towing experience

I owned a 2006 Ridgeline for four years. It was fun to drive, handled well and had plenty of power and interior room. Then one spring we bought a used 18.5 foot x 8 foot wide stick built Summerland travel trailer for a summer trip. We drove from Sedona to Las Vegas to pick up the trailer. I seem to remember getting low 20's mpg with the Honda. Then the trip home. We averaged 7.5 mpg and had to stop at nearly every gas station along the way! The 260 hp V-6 just did not have the torque for towing that billboard of a trailer even though the empty trailer was well below the towing capacity of the truck. The poor truck was in 4th gear or 3rd gear more than it was in 5th ...even driving on the interstate. The next day, I drove to Phoenix and turned the Ridgeline in for a 2010 F150 with max tow rating and a 5.3L V-8. At least we got 10 or 11 mpg towing the loaded trailer to the Northwest that summer and the truck barely labored. That fall, we sold the Summerland and I vowed to never buy another 8 ft wide slab fronted box RV! I know from owning a Casita 17 prior to this experience, that narrower fiberglass trailers present a lot less wind resistance, but I am still a little hesitant of towing with a V-6. My recollection is that the Honda also got terrible mileage when I was hauling a heavy load of tile from Phoenix to Colorado on another occasion. I'll be curious to see what engine the new Ridgeline will have and how it performs towing.
shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote