Hooking up with an Andersen Hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #11

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
hooking up anderson

I installed a heavy duty electric tongue jack to save my shoulder. I try to be aligned when I park and then lift the trailer and jeep so that I can easily pull the pin to drop the plate and when time to hook up I try also to be aligned. At times I may be off a little and don't have enough slack in the chains, that's when I get out the socket and ratchet and pull the plate to install the pin. I still believe the Anderson gives my 21 more stability on rough roads and high wind conditions after about 20,000 miles with a short wheel base vehicle.
Jack

azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;68404

Only once or twice have I been unable to get close enough, and on one occasion I know I used a chunk of firewood to encourage the plate to turn the amount I needed.[/QUOTE]

Nothing like having the right tool for the job

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My spring bars aren't greasy ( should they be? )
Well it is a metal on moving metal situation and you can see that some areas do start to wear. I always keep a dap of grease on them. Can't hurt and maybe it stops them from squeaking.

Don't know about the kneeling part. I jack my trailer up high enough that I don't even use a bar to put the chains on. Quick and easier.

I suspect the conventional WDH and Anderson hitch will go the way of the Chev-Ford situation. Fans of both types will be convinced that their style is the best

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well it is a metal on moving metal situation and you can see that some areas do start to wear. I always keep a dap of grease on them. Can't hurt and maybe it stops them from squeaking.

Don't know about the kneeling part. I jack my trailer up high enough that I don't even use a bar to put the chains on. Quick and easier.

I suspect the conventional WDH and Anderson hitch will go the way of the Chev-Ford situation. Fans of both types will be convinced that their style is the best

Ron
Maybe so Ron. My only issue with the Andersen is the trumpeting of "anti-sway" and "anti-bounce" instead of the sole purpose of a wdh -- to restore the weight distribution to the front axle to the state it would be in if you were unhitched. The Andersen hitches can achieve FALR on lighter trailers like the Escape, but they're not as good at it as the more conventional models. On heavier and longer trailers than the Escapes, the Andersen cannot achieve FALR. Methinks that's why they tout anti-sway so much. Anti-sway is nice, but its not the purpose of a wdh.