How do I know if I have power going to tow plug? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
How do I know if I have power going to tow plug?

I used to tow with a Land Cruiser and although it did have a tow package when I put the brake controller on I have to run power as well to be able to charge the RV batteries. I'm now going to be towing with a 4Runner that also has a two package - will I have to run new wires again?

Thanks-

Dave
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
I used to tow with a Land Cruiser and although it did have a two package when I put the brake controller on I have to run power as well to be able to charge the RV batteries. I'm now going to be towing with a 4Runner that also has a two package - will I have to run new wires again?

Thanks-

Dave
Two package or Tow package ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

Tow - thanks Steve
Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My RAV4 had the tow package, which didn't include brake controller, wiring to 7-pin or hitch receiver.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19'
If you have the factory installed tow package with hitch and connector and leave you a dongle for brake controller at least, it should have 12V, when the truck is running, check the aux pin and ground to verify.

If you or 3rd party put in the tow stuff later on, it depends on what they choose to do at that time. I know when I put the tow hitch/brake controller in my FJ I ended up not making the AUX connection (just ran the wire and left it nearby) because the trailer didn't have wiring for that so it does not seem necessary at the time...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

Sounds good - so if I have the brake controller plug likely I have power going to it?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My RAV4 had the tow package, which didn't include brake controller, wiring to 7-pin or hitch receiver.
Right, because that was the towing preparation package, which only provides components to improve durability under load. This is normal for Toyota models which are not expected to be commonly used for towing (RAV4, Sienna, etc).

The same models are also available with a trailer wiring harness, typically as a dealer-installed accessory; that harness is normally just for lights, and doesn't include either brake controller wiring or a trailer battery charge line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
Sounds good - so if I have the brake controller plug likely I have power going to it?
Yes, but power at that plug is only for the trailer brakes, not for charging the trailer battery. Fortunately, if the factory wiring includes the brake controller plug, it will also include wiring to a 7-pin connector for the trailer, and that likely does include the trailer battery charging line... but that's not guaranteed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Here are lots of versions of 4Runners. Without year and specs, don't know if our 2011 is similar. Came with a 7-pin and charges the batteries.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19'
I think if the 7-pin is installed with a hitch as part of the tow package, the AUX pin is powered.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
The "Aux" is the center pin, and is not typically used, other than for backup (reverse) lights. The 12VDC power for is on the top, across (180°) from the ground pin.
If you have a 7 pin receptacle on your tow, you should have 12VDC at that pin whenever the ignition is on. a cheap voltmeter, or 12V test light can confirm.

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #11

Thanks everyone! I have a 7 pin, and looks factory, so will get the volt meter on it and check it out