How Long to Cross Canada - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: How Long to Cross Canada

What we really need here is a list of places to visit while grinding your way across eastern Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Personally, I would stop at Whitewood and Stockholm, Sask. but that's only because I lived there as a kid. Making a detour to Saskatoon or Regina where I lived and went to school would add too much time to the trip.

Maybe what we need is time-travel to get across the prairies.

baglo

Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

On days that are meant for nothing but travel, I will usually put in at least 12 hours on the road, with a couple hours worth of breaks, often doing 1,000 km a day. i too have to do all the driving with the trailer behind, but neither bothers me. I know a bunch of people that have driven from the Maritimes to Calgary 5 days, not lots of sightseeing though.

This trip is something we plan for when I retire, or semi-retire. I really hope to take at least a month travel each way. See lots of those great sites along the way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #23

The right thinking should be "VACATION". I have driven across...coast to coast BC to the Maritimes...twice in two years...and towed a 16' Scamp and then our 17B Escape. It really is a grind if you have to do it in a short time....a real joy if you can take the time and enjoy the views, the uniqueness of the towns...just VACATION. Most will probably do it only once in a lifetime, so do it right and create memories. In 2009 we took 2 months (not enough) and towed our Scamp to Alaska (from PEI) and back. In 2010 we drove to Chilliwack to pick up our 17B.....6 weeks (not enough). 2011 we will be in NL for 4-6 weeks (Aug-Sept). Already planning our 2012 trip....NWT and more of the Yukon....Alaska again maybe. I'm lucky though.....90% retired. My point is give youself the time to VACATION. As I've stated here before we've spent time in every province and every state (except Hawaii?)...many multiple time.
Sooooo much to see and do.

JerryPEI
Old 02-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

Uh oh, reading this makes me jealous... I would love to fetch my daughter and Cafe Egg and explore, having several months time!!! Maybe one of those years I will take some unpaid leave and just do it, since we are only living once... :
Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #25

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT

Hi Cavedweller - we too are planning a Maritime trip this summer, leaving in mid may and plan on at least 2-3 months total touring time. We may run into you, look for a 5.0....

Have a great trip...

Ken and Diana
Calgary
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #26

We do not have our trailer yet, the construction of our 19 was started last wed.
One of our reasons for getting the trailer is so we can stop and enjoy the scenery once in while with out having to worry where our next bed will be.
When I am driving by myself I drive right through to Edmonton or Vancouver with out stopping.
A clear and definite danger on the road. You do not want to know how long it takes or be on the road.

When my wife is with me it takes two days. Whitehorse to Ft. Nelson to overnight, the next day to Edmonton or Vancouver.

This leaves absolutely no time to stop and see the view.

I am looking forward to the trailer being behind me so 1- I cannot break the sound barrier "I will live longer"
2- I will see what has been a blur these many years spent on the road.

I envy people who take their time, and see what is happening around them, soon I will be one of them with a soft place to sleep on the side roads.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #27
Geo

Our travel depends on the nature of the event.
Sometimes it is the destination point A to point B
1600 k,s in one pull.
Other times I spend up to a month driving every other day
exploring back roads going to say Prince George
(200 or so K's) a day.
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote