How Long to Cross Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

How Long to Cross Canada

My wife and I are planning to celebrate a couple of milestones by "Escape"-ing to Newfoundland this year. However, as RV rookies, we're not too sure as to how many days it would realistically take to get from BC to NF.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Cheers,
Sean
CAVeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: How Long to Cross Canada

Can't help, but I'll be watching with interest, since our plan is Vancouver to Nova Scotia. We plan to head east for the fall colours and then drop down south for the trip back over the winter months. Won't happen until retirement, when time isn't an issue - just medical appointments.

baglo
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #3

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of unlimited time so we're going to head directly over to NF; if we have extra time on the way back, we'll visit a few places in between. I've carried over a week of vacation from last year and I may ask for a week of unpaid leave depending on the responses.

Sean
Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2011 17 eh?

We made that trip many years ago in a car and tenting. I would say it would take 10 days to 2 weeks (one way) to do it comfortably. I think we were gone at least 5 weeks there and back, but we did stop to sight see along the way. We also tended as usual to avoid the major freeways and enjoy the scenic routes. A very worthwhile trip, and I look forward to doing it again, but this time with our escape (when we get it).

Lynda
skeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Google in MapQuest, put in a couple of addresses, and it'll give you driving time. I'm assuming it works in Canada too. It tells me from Blacksburg to Chilliwack is
44 hrs 46 mins / 2870.63 miles. After getting Hokie, we took 2 weeks to come from Chilliwack to Virginia (different route too, than MapQuest, because it was the 1st of April, and the Northern route was a little SNOWEY!), but we didn't drive more than 5 hours a day, and stayed a few days here and there enjoying the trip.
Sounds like a blast. A few years ago we went up to Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia), and what a site! Drove up to the Northern Tip of Cape Breton, and looked across the sea toward NewFoundland...closest we got : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...We live in central Canada and never got any closer to NFLD.
Remember 4-5 hrs. a day is really sufficient for towing so that's 350-500 kms. a day divided into the total distance = # of days.
Also remember "This is Gods country...Don't go thru it like Hell Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. here's two reasons to stop towing!!! Fresh Digby Scallops and muscles steamed in white wine!!! Heaven on earth &
I could almost see NFLD from the restaurant overlooking Pleasant Bay Cape Breton Highlands Nat. Pk..
Attached Thumbnails
bucket o muscles.jpg   stop I smell seafood.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #7

Man, oh man...look at the cholesterol : - ) How are you feeling Alf?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Geo

Divided the distance by the numbers of miles / kilometers you wish to drive per day.
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #9

Hi there: Have done the drive a couple times, but never really in a rush. We're Newfies but live in PEI. Here's our last trip. Day 1 to Edmundston, NB; Day 2... west of Ottawa; Day 3... North Bay; Day 4... Sault Ste. Marie; Day 5...Thunder Bay; Day 6...Kenora; Day 7...Sask; Day 8...Medicine Hat; Day 9...Osoyoos; Day 10...Chilliwack. A couple long days but most were 5-7 hours.
The leg from PEI to NL spoils 2 days when you consider the 6 hour ferry ride (I suggest a night crossing with a cabin on the ferry...book early)

We have also crossed the country and took a month to do so. That's the best because you get time to smell the roses and enjoy the communities and the scenery.

There is a meet in PEI in July. Check it out. We'd love to see you.

Note to ALF......you gotta love those PEI Lobster.

JERRY
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #10

Hi: JerryCpei... I could survive quite well on a seafood diet...but what would my wife eat Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Geo

Jerry
You mentioned a meet in PEI in july.
Any details, Dates, location, map
thanks Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #12

Hi: Geo...Info posted in Rallies Meets etc. section under Meet in the Maritimes 2011. Sure wish we could attend!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #13

This is a trip that my wife and I dream of taking some time as well - the summer after we get a tow such as the RAV4 that gets decent MPG.

Last summer we planed and trained to Montreal where we rented a wiener wagon (small economy car) and tailgate camped the Gaspe, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland. We stayed off of freeways as much as possible. The trip is one of the main reasons we decided on an ultra-light fiberglass trailer. We loved the adventure but found tenting in a backpackers tent a little tiring.

Didn't see much of New Brunswick - where we stopped they where more French than the Quebecois. We ferried across Fundy to Nova Scotia and explored for four days. Tried to find antique and junk shops but where limited by the flight back. Newfoundland is a lot of moose country - Port au Basque is cute and St. John's is beautiful. Plan on staying in St. John's for a couple of days before heading back west. About 60 km out of St. John's there is a B&B that we wanted to get a picture of but my mother-in-law was along making it a bit awkward - its called "Dildo B&B"
Please snap a picture and post.

PEI is amazingly tiny - worth taking bicycles. Anne of Green Gables is a big tourist trap: be prepared to be dissappointed. The cool thing about PEI is that they make you pay to leave the province. Its free to enter the province but $$$ to leave ($42 rings a bell for the little car).

Back in New Brunswick we found that they speak English in the northern part of the province. Visit the Bay of Fundy - its pretty cool.

We arrived in Quebec City for some kind of festival but found it a bit limiting as even the bus drivers don't (refuse to) talk English. We actually found the Beijing, China subway system easier and more English friendly than Quebec City.

Montreal is a much more cosmopolitan city: people seemed to try a lot harder to speak other languages besides Trudeau's favorite. I'd go back to Montreal in a heartbeat.

We did Montreal to St. John's and back in about 10 days and put on 8400 km on the rental car.

Campgrounds ran about $25 per night.

The drive from BC depends on your own endurance. The Manitoba/Ontario border is halfway to Toronto. Toronto to Montreal is all freeway.

Keep the forum posted on plans and the actual trip.

cheers,

Gord
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #14

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. From what I'm hearing we should allow a minimum of 3 weeks for driving there and back; probably a week in Newfoundland; and then if we want to visit along the way, add as much time as possible: so a minimum of 5 weeks, 6 if I can swing it.

BTW, we both love seafood so we're already looking forward to indulging.

Sean
Old 02-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVeDweller
BTW, we both love seafood so we're already looking forward to indulging.
Sean
Like Alf, I love my "see-food" diet!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #16

Shanngord:
My mother was born & raised in Dildo in an area of the town referred to as "Reid's Room". I grew up in a town nearby called New Harbour and not far from another town called South Dildo. Dildo has become quite well known....and is a "cute" fishing town. The residents there actually held a vote a few years ago to decide if they should change the name and the vast majority voted to keep the name to maintain their claim to fame. Newfoundland is well known for its unusual names. Just a few....Niggers Cove, Hibbs Hole, Hearts Content, Come by Chance....and on and on.....

Just thought you needed to know all that. Have a great day and look us up if your in PEI.

Jerry Cranford
Old 02-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #17

I thought that the name probably had historical significance.

As we travel, we notice a lot of small towns that have a claim to fame: world's longest cross-country skis, worlds largest wheel chair, world's largest fly rod, etc We try to get photos of the ones that seem unique.

We where considering PEI for this summer as a bike trip: fly the bikes to PEI or NS and pedal from there. Unfortunalty, other adventures reared their heads. Some year...

We loved our trip to the Maritimes: everyone seems so affluent compared to rural BC. It seems that maritimers have spent federal transfer payments wisely. Even though we tried to travel secondary highways, I don't recall a single pothole. Gotta love Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada) between Port au Basque and St. John's. Nine hours of perfect highway without traffic.

If our kids didn't live out west here, we might have looked for recreational/retirement property in NS or NB.

Thanks for the info on the town.

Gord

shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #18

Quote:
My wife and I are planning to celebrate a couple of milestones by "Escape"-ing to Newfoundland this year. However, as RV rookies, we're not too sure as to how many days it would realistically take to get from BC to NF.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Cheers,
Sean
So many variables. Really do not know how comfortable you are driving long distances. Would think the trip is roughly 4000 miles. At 400 miles per day you are looking at ten days. Never driven the road, but pulling a trailer I would be under the impression it would be somewhat slower than without a trailer. Personally when you are averaging about 55 miles per hour you are doing well, that includes whatever pit stops etc. I know people who think nothing of driving 800 to 1000 miles per day but I find when I have gone 400 to 500 miles I have reached my limit of endurance. In any case, I hope you do the journey, hoping you have a great trip and extending my very best wishes.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
WRJ

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15

I may be crazy but the idea of driving 400 miles a day to get to Newfoundland for a week doesn't make sense. There is so much to see and do no the way it seems like a waste. We visited NFLD a couple of years ago and only had 10 days, wished it was longer. If my object was NFLD and I did not care about the X-Canada part, had limited time, I would look for a cheap flight, rent a car and B&B. That would leave you time left over to use the Egg in a relaxing manner, closer to home. Do some work with the pencil and I bet the $ difference is not out of line. (Don't forget the Ferry crossing costs) We are planning to drive across to Quebec this year and plan on 2 to 3 months of travel but time is not the problem for us.
What ever you do enjoy NFLD as it is a very interesting and we will go back sometime to see what we missed. Other than the main HWy the roads are not that good and travel is slower than one might expect.
Enjoy your Trip
Wayne & Ev
WRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #20

Quote:
From what I'm hearing we should allow a minimum of 3 weeks for driving there and back;
Ten days each way? From Kamloops to the ferry terminal on Cape Breton is over 5800 km taking the shortest route that stays in Canada. I would never want to haul a trailer 580 km a day for ten days in a row. At 80 km/h, that's over seven hours a day. And you will find you need at least a half hour to ready the trailer for travel in the morning, and another half hour after you park it.

If I am driving for more than one day, I try to limit my daily driving at 500 km. When I am towing, that drops to 300 km. (My wife does not share the driving.)

I have had more than one friend tell me to ship the trailer and tow vehicle to Halifax, and to drive it home.

Ron

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote