Husky Center Line TS Weight Distribution hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #1

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Husky Center Line TS Weight Distribution hitch

I appreciate what a WDH brings to the table BUT I would rather not have one as I like simplicity. Thought I could get by towing our 21 with Ram 1500 without a WDH. It worked well all the way home from Chilliwack and short trips since. Problem is the slight raising of the front end, less than an inch or so, not much, but what tipped it for me was the bounciness and lack of solid feel.

For those with larger Escapes on order and on the WDH fence as I was I hope this helps. If you decide to go with a WDH I can recommend the Husky based on the install and short drives to test. Remember I have zero experience with other brands but think this is a winner. Will report back after our long August trip to Oregon to see the eclipse and visit other parts as we love Oregon. Hopefully I can report that the Husky is all it's reported to be.

So trying WDH for first time ever as prior trailers were 17 ft and under and didn't need it. Prior to that were class A and C motor homes and enjoyed them for what they were. Really enjoyed the Scamp 13 as that was super easy to hitch as I could carry the tongue to the ball and just drop it in.

Back to the present. I almost pulled the trigger on the Anderson hitch but decided to try a more traditional set up. The 400-600 pound tongue weight Husky hitch costs around $300. The quality of the hitch is top drawer, the documentation is as good as it gets, easy to follow, tons of clear colored 3D drawings.

Installation was simple. Biggest hurdle is torquing the two 3/4" bolts to 380 ft-lbs. Working on that now. Other bolt torques are within your garden variety torque wrench. By the way, I was shocked as to the heft of this thing. The UPS man hates me as the box weighs 102 pounds. I hear he is just getting out of the hospital. Shipping was free so I am happy. I can extract the heavy shank/head assembly from truck's receiver easily enough but I am 68, no telling what it will be like at 80. By comparison the Anderson looks super light.

After several before and after front and rear fender measurements ( ground to fender well ) on both sides, I noticed that with the WDH installed all four fenders were pretty much the same. This is a very good sign and helps ease the pain of having to use this.

Link to one vendor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W919GLM...=IK1VQ19YBZHGG

Link to a professional review of this hitch for those that don't trust me.
Center of Attention - www.trailerlife.com

Photos of my install to follow, towing report when we get back from Oregon early September.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Here is the hitch installed on the 21. Tested install on short drives through bumps, dips, etc. Very smooth. Backing up no noise nor need to remove WDH. Anti sway is there by design and that helped with simplicity. Purposely jacked knifed on one test back up and that's when I hear little pops. Otherwise no noise so far.
Attached Thumbnails
XE2B0614.jpg   XE2B0615.jpg   XE2B0617.jpg   XE2B0618.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #3

Closer look the the 3/4" bolts that needs to be torqued at 380 ft-lbs.

When in actual road use, I use a locking shank pin so as to prevent it from walking away.
Base on the way laws are today, if the thief got hurt after pulling it out of receiver I could be sued for being cruel.

Another good thing to report regarding use of this WDH. My tailgate now squeeks tpast tongue crank and fully opens !!!!! Finally.
Attached Thumbnails
XE2B0620.jpg   XE2B0621.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Had my mind made on the Equal I Zer 600lb but now you've given me something to think about. Grrrr, more research tonight.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Had my mind made on the Equal I Zer 600lb but now you've given me something to think about. Grrrr, more research tonight.
Don't fret, thinking is a good thing.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
[QUOTE=Santiago;208067]I appreciate what a WDH brings to the table BUT I would rather not have one as I like simplicity. Thought I could get by towing our 21 with Ram 1500 without a WDH. It worked well all the way home from Chilliwack and short trips since. Problem is the slight raising of the front end, less than an inch or so, not much, but what tipped it for me was the bounciness and lack of solid feel.

When we were ordering, the WDH was one of the great debates but Reace said it would take the "galloping" out of the ride. And it does. We have the Anderson. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Here is the hitch installed on the 21. Tested install on short drives through bumps, dips, etc. Very smooth. Backing up no noise nor need to remove WDH. Anti sway is there by design and that helped with simplicity. Purposely jacked knifed on one test back up and that's when I hear little pops. Otherwise no noise so far.
Santiago, How are the hanging brackets attached to the trailer tongue channel frame? You didn't have to drill any holes in the A-frame, did you? It's kind of hard to tell exactly what is holding them on and in place. I guess I'll check out the manufacturer's website, too. Dale

Never mind! I just went to the manufacturer's website and saw where the mounting bolts are located. They just happen to be hidden in your photos.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Santiago, How are the hanging brackets attached to the trailer tongue channel frame? You didn't have to drill any holes in the A-frame, did you? It's kind of hard to tell exactly what is holding them on and in place. I guess I'll check out the manufacturer's website, too. Dale

Never mind! I just went to the manufacturer's website and saw where the mounting bolts are located. They just happen to be hidden in your photos.
Sorry about that Dale.
No drilling required, this is very well engineered. The frame mounting plates have holes at just the right place. The two bolts squeezing the plates together are spot on. Its designed for 4, 5 and deeper frames. I see no slop which tells me they drilled the bolt centers correctly. Put your drill away just bring wrenches and sockets.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #9

wonder what the difference would be between this one and the E2 or the Equal I Zer brand. Does this one have the 4 pt or 2 pt sway control? Either way, I'm leaning toward this one now.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
wonder what the difference would be between this one and the E2 or the Equal I Zer brand. Does this one have the 4 pt or 2 pt sway control? Either way, I'm leaning toward this one now.
John, up until a few days ago I was a WDH virgin. I have no idea how they compare.
I like that the Husky by design, offers anti sway functionality by having the round spring bar rub on the lift bracket. Is this comparable to a separate dedicated sway control component that attaches to the ball head and ends up using friction as the sway deterrent ? I did not experience sway prior to this install. Sway can best be controlled by smart trailer loading so that it lessens that tendency. That's another conversation.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Santiago,
Do you know what your tongue weight is? And, what model Ram do you have? Is there a cap or air bags installed?
Old 07-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Santiago,
Do you know what your tongue weight is? And, what model Ram do you have? Is there a cap or air bags installed?
Hi Jim,

Not measured tongue weight as I need to make a DIY scale. My batteries are over axle, front storage box is empty and will have a hose or two when we travel. It's function is really to protect the front from rock damage. We don't need a lot of storage. I can assume that unless something changes our tongue weight will be what the factory advertised in 2016.

Ram is 2016 1500, no air bags but I do have a 6.5 foot long SnugTop fiberglass cap. I believe that one weighs around 300 pounds.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My tongue is around 425#, no cap. But I carry a bike and miscellaneous gear, maybe 300 lbs in the truck, thus I had about 2" rise in the front. Too many people flashing their lights, so I installed air bags, at 25 psi my drop is under 1". But I have used the Andersen in the past and do like the benefits of a w/d on those poor roads where you porpoise up and down. So far, after 10,000 miles nothing has come undone or opened, except the slide table has lost it's tightening bolt due to the ying and yang of the roads.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
John, up until a few days ago I was a WDH virgin. I have no idea how they compare.
I like that the Husky by design, offers anti sway functionality by having the round spring bar rub on the lift bracket. Is this comparable to a separate dedicated sway control component that attaches to the ball head and ends up using friction as the sway deterrent ? I did not experience sway prior to this install. Sway can best be controlled by smart trailer loading so that it lessens that tendency. That's another conversation.
The two I've described previously are of similar design of which I have experience with. Yours seems to get good reviews. I've seen sway in front of me and it does not look comfortable and my truck manual states I should have it with anything above 2000lbs. Plus the price seems right.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
wonder what the difference would be between this one and the E2 or the Equal I Zer brand. Does this one have the 4 pt or 2 pt sway control?
All three have functionally the same frame bracket and bar end design, although they vary in details.

Two of the "four points of sway control" in Equal-i-zer terminology are the places where bottom the spring bar ends rubs on the frame bracket, so they all have that. The additional two points are where the Equal-i-zer head clamps the bar sockets - it appears that only the Equal-i-zer has that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #16

Quote:
I like that the Husky by design, offers anti sway functionality by having the round spring bar rub on the lift bracket. Is this comparable to a separate dedicated sway control component that attaches to the ball head and ends up using friction as the sway deterrent ?
The nice thing about this source of friction is that it is roughly proportional to the load-distribution action, which is very roughly related to the size; it is not dependent on the torque on a clamping bolt and the user doesn't need to determine the right level. There is also minimal free play, unlike the quasi-ball-joints on the ends of a bar-style device. These features are better than the bar-style friction devices. The bad thing is that it's steel-on-steel friction, which no one would choose for sliding friction as a damping method if they had a reasonable alternative.

The Andersen No-Sway uses brake lining material, and the clamping force on the friction surface is directly dependent on the tongue weight, regardless of WD action (as long as there's no slack in the chains).
Old 07-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
I have not towed tens of thousands of miles like some others, but we did install the equalizer hitch without sway control. I think you are correct though that smart trailer loading is all that is needed, especially with a lightweight trailer like an escape. We all have seen too many trailers in need of something wagging down the road. With our 19 our tow vehicle we have a 2017 quad cab Tacoma equipped with Sumo Springs. Without the weight distribution bars hooked up the rear of our Tacoma drops 1 inch and the front rises 5/8 of an inch. With the weight distribution bars hooked up the truck rides exactly as it would without the trailer. I think any quality weight distribution hitch will help with "galloping".
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I have not towed tens of thousands of miles like some others, but we did install the equalizer hitch without sway control. I think you are correct though that smart trailer loading is all that is needed, especially with a lightweight trailer like an escape. We all have seen too many trailers in need of something wagging down the road. With our 19 our tow vehicle we have a 2017 quad cab Tacoma equipped with Sumo Springs. Without the weight distribution bars hooked up the rear of our Tacoma drops 1 inch and the front rises 5/8 of an inch. With the weight distribution bars hooked up the truck rides exactly as it would without the trailer. I think any quality weight distribution hitch will help with "galloping".
Well I've towed just about 10000 miles and very little without wdh and sway. I definitely do not like the way it tows without it. I guess I err on the side of caution, sometimes to a fault.
Anywho, not sure what it states in the Tacoma manual, but the Tundra manual requires both wd at 5000lbs and sway control for anything over 2000lbs. I'm sure smart loading is still necessary.
Back to the op, i do like the set up and probably more than suffice. Like the price too, when u compare it to the Equal I Zer brand.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
All three have functionally the same frame bracket and bar end design, although they vary in details.

Two of the "four points of sway control" in Equal-i-zer terminology are the places where bottom the spring bar ends rubs on the frame bracket, so they all have that. The additional two points are where the Equal-i-zer head clamps the bar sockets - it appears that only the Equal-i-zer has that.
Both the Equal-i-zer and the Husky TS use the bar sockets as an additional two points of friction and have "four points of sway control".
Old 07-23-2017, 12:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Both the Equal-i-zer and the Husky TS use the bar sockets as an additional two points of friction and have "four points of sway control".
Ah, thanks. So only the E2 doesn't.

I guess I was thinking of the other Husky Centerline, which has spring cylinders instead of friction in the head.