I installed Sumo Springs on my Tundra today - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
I installed Sumo Springs on my Tundra today

I know several folks here have used these on Tacomas, so I wanted to try them on the Tundra. We wanted to prevent the rear squatting when we pick up our 5.0 TA in 11 days. I purchased the Ssr-610-47 which is rated to 1500 lbs. They are compatible with the B & W Turnover ball hitch mount. The top of the polymer spring just contacts the washer on the bolt on the bottom of the frame used on the B & W.
The install was easy, the worst part was breaking the u bolts free that attach the bump stops to the top of the spring and axle.
I'm pleased with the results. We hooked up to my brother's travel trailer with approximately 400 lbs tongue weight and the truck dropped ~ 1.5 inches. I also got some time behind the wheel towing the trailer and about an hour session in a vacant parking lot to dust off the backing skills. I know the 5'er will be different, but I wanted to prove to myself that I can still back up straight and also get used to the trailer tracking on sharp turns. So far, so good.
Can't wait to meet some of you in Osoyoos!
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0154.jpg  
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Your 5.0TA will look awesome behind such a beautiful truck!! Love the colour!
Have a safe trip!!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
I know several folks here have used these on Tacomas, so I wanted to try them on the Tundra. We wanted to prevent the rear squatting when we pick up our 5.0 TA in 11 days. I purchased the Ssr-610-47 which is rated to 1500 lbs. They are compatible with the B & W Turnover ball hitch mount. The top of the polymer spring just contacts the washer on the bolt on the bottom of the frame used on the B & W.
The install was easy, the worst part was breaking the u bolts free that attach the bump stops to the top of the spring and axle.
I'm pleased with the results. We hooked up to my brother's travel trailer with approximately 400 lbs tongue weight and the truck dropped ~ 1.5 inches. I also got some time behind the wheel towing the trailer and about an hour session in a vacant parking lot to dust off the backing skills. I know the 5'er will be different, but I wanted to prove to myself that I can still back up straight and also get used to the trailer tracking on sharp turns. So far, so good.
Chuck
Please let us know how it works once you get the 5.0 TA. I have a 2012 Tundra 4x4 double cab and it tows our 2015 TA just fine just stock, but I am giving thought to a bit of extra beef to the suspension.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Good to know. I am debating between the Sumo Springs and the Timbren system for my 2010 F 150. I intend to install them at the same time I install the Reece rail system.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Good to know. I am debating between the Sumo Springs and the Timbren system for my 2010 F 150. I intend to install them at the same time I install the Reece rail system.
The Timbren and Sumo springs look like a very similar device and perform the same function. There was a thread a while back on the forum about the Timbren system and got good reviews. I installed them on my 2012 Tundra. I've only towed my new 5.0TA about 1200 miles and it seems good. The truck sits level and the ride is not harsh. I think it was a worthwhile addition.
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #6

Trailer: New skool escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Chuck
do you have big sag with 400 lbs of tongue weight?
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxan View Post
do you have big sag with 400 lbs of tongue weight?
I did not measure sag before the install. I just wanted to firm up the back end for the 5.0 TA. An added benefit is that there is minimal lean on the curvy descents on highway 90 through Montana, Idaho and Washington.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Supersprings

I've been looking at Supersprings for my Tundra. They are made by the same company as Sumosprings, but attach to the leaf spring to make it stiffer. I would be interested in anyone who has used Supersprings or has a comparison with Sumosprings.

I used the Timbre system on my 4Runner pulling our Casita. I liked that they prevented rear end squat and improved handling, but they did stiffen up the rear end to the point it would bounce when going over road humps. I took them off my 2014 4Runner when I sold it and have them for sale for $150 OBO if anyone is interested.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 SD (sold); 2017 Escape 21 due 06/17; Tow 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I've been looking at Supersprings for my Tundra. They are made by the same company as Sumosprings, but attach to the leaf spring to make it stiffer. I would be interested in anyone who has used Supersprings or has a comparison with Sumosprings.

I used the Timbre system on my 4Runner pulling our Casita. I liked that they prevented rear end squat and improved handling, but they did stiffen up the rear end to the point it would bounce when going over road humps. I took them off my 2014 4Runner when I sold it and have them for sale for $150 OBO if anyone is interested.
I used SuperSprings on my 2007 Nissan Frontier 4X4 for towing my 2010 Casita. Then added SumoSprings to my 2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 when I traded the Frontier. Different trucks, different capabilities but both the SuperSprings and SumoSprings have worked great for me.
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 SD (sold); 2017 Escape 21 due 06/17; Tow 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
BTW, Casita sold February 2017, the GMC, SumoSprings and I are presently enroute to Chilliwack to pick up our new Escape 21.
Tow: 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
Old 05-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis View Post
BTW, Casita sold February 2017, the GMC, SumoSprings and I are presently enroute to Chilliwack to pick up our new Escape 21.
You're gonna love it! Congrats!!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #12

Thsnks. We are very excited.

Can't say a single bad thing about the Casita. We dragged it all over the US many times and it was great and trouble free. Very impressed with the Esacapes we have seen and the owners we have talked to and are defimitely looking forward to more room and upgraded amenities.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:

Richardr - before I posted the brief and uninformative reply to your request for a comparison between SuperSprings and SumoSprings I did a much more detailed post that was lost in the twilight zone when the site logged me out for taking too long. I'd be happy to try and recreate that if it would be useful to you. We're on our way to Chilliwack but will be at friends this weekend and shoul be able to get to a computer if more information would be useful to you.

Chuck
Old 06-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis View Post
Richardr - before I posted the brief and uninformative reply to your request for a comparison between SuperSprings and SumoSprings I did a much more detailed post that was lost in the twilight zone when the site logged me out for taking too long. I'd be happy to try and recreate that if it would be useful to you. We're on our way to Chilliwack but will be at friends this weekend and shoul be able to get to a computer if more information would be useful to you.

Chuck
Hi Chuck, Right now I'm planning to go with the SuperSrings. I think they may be an overkill for towing the Escape 21, but we know a shop who is selling them with installation for $400. If you have information, other than price, that the SumoSprings would be the better system, please post it.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi Chuck, Right now I'm planning to go with the SuperSrings. I think they may be an overkill for towing the Escape 21, but we know a shop who is selling them with installation for $400. If you have information, other than price, that the SumoSprings would be the better system, please post it.
Rick - based on my experience with SuperSprings on my Frontier 4X4 and towing my Casita for five+ years and two years of towing the same trailer with my GMC Sierra 4X4 with SumoSprings I cannot offer any information to suggest that the SumoSprings would be a better choice.

The SuperSprings are really adding an additional spring to your tow vehicle while the SumoSprings use the existing truck springs but add a much more robust jounce bumper. They both engage progressively as the truck suspension responds to a load but, with the SuperSprings starting with a stiffer spring, on the same vehicle the improvement to the towing experience would be greatest with SuperSprings.

The SuperSprings were a great addition to the Frontier but I don't think they are needed at all for my GMC. So I think you might be right about SuperSprings being overkill on your Tundra but you've got a great price that includes installation and I might be tempted as well.

You may already know this but because the SuperSprings are installed with some pretension (the amount can be adjusted), at least on my Frontier they did raise the back of the truck a bit and slightly stiffened the unloaded ride. Neither of these things bothered me at all, and I don't know how a Tundra might respond, but you should be aware of the possibility.

With SuperSprings on the Frontier and SumoSprings on the GMC I have never felt any need to consider a WDH and I expect to have the same experience with the Escape. Based on the experience of a friend with an Escape 21 who tows with a Tundra like yours and no WDH either way you decide to go should be fine.

Chuck
Tow: 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
Old 06-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #16

Thanks Chuck. I appreciate all the information in your post.

We are not planning on using a WDH hitch, but we will probably use the anti-sway bar with the Escape 21 that we are currently using with the Casita.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #17

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Just replaced Tundra OEM bump stops with SumoSprings. Guess will see how it effects truck squat next week when picking up 21' trailer @ ETI.
Attached Thumbnails
sumo1.jpg   sumo2.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
This is an old thread.

I installed Sumo Springs (blue polyurethane) on my 2010 F 150 in 2017 before picking up my 5.0TA. The ride was/is a little bit stiffer when the truck is empty but the truck still drops at least 1.5 inches when I lower the trailer onto the Anderson Hitch ball so I know the Sumo Springs are helping take a lot of the additional weight. I'm very glad I did it even though I can't compare before and after. The distance between the Sumo Springs and the Axle is just less than 1/4 inch when the truck isn't loaded so the springs affected the ride noticeably the first time I drove it.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:30 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
You will appreciate the ride installed the same springs on our truck and the difference was night n day had no issues bring our 21 home
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
I don’t have the Sumo springs, so can’t compare but my F150 settles about an inch and one half. Rides good, handles great. Before I picked up the 5.0 I asked Reace’s and he said he didn’t use any added suspension products.

I guess they can’t hurt but not sure it’s needed with a full size pickup.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote