Is 12 mpg an acceptable number? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I
Ron in BC when you say you use a tow/haul button what do you mean? I don't have that button on my Ranger.
Mine is one of the last ones made. I held off as long as I could, hoping against hope that the diesel Ranger would be coming to NA. So I don't know when they first starting putting the tow/haul button on them. Maybe when they started putting the 5 speed auto in.

I've had it on other Fords as well including V8 and V10s

If you Google "tow/haul mode" you'll find a pretty good explanation of how it works.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Carl,
It is a nice engine and when it roars, it roars. I normally only get about 14-15 around town.
Robert,
I tried to keep it at 60-65 or about 5 less than the limit and in those 80 mph states around 70, I guess slowing down to 100 kph or 62 would be better. Remember this was all on interstate highways and I did not turn the motor off until the end of the day. My tanks were fresh was 2/3 full and waste were both empty starting and 1/3 and 1/3 upon reaching Osoyoos. I did not dump en route. Going home I was 2/3 fresh and waste empty and upon reaching home 1/3 fresh and empty waste as I dumped at my last stop in Indiana.
Jim.. When towing I follow your countries 1974-87 coast to coast speed limit and still the California limit for trailers. The double nickel (90 kph) really saves fuel especially when your not very aerodynamic and have twice as many tires on the pavement. Canmore Alberta to Burlington On a couple weeks ago 16.4 miles per US gallon.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape
I don't believe that adding aftermarket components in an attempt to increase horsepower will improve your mileage. Do you feel that you need more ponies with the Escape 21 which is heavier and has more frontal area ?
Tow with a vehicle that is capable for a safe and comfortable towing experience.
Keep the driving time and distances realistic to avoid fatigue and feeling sick.
Plan on driving at a moderate speed to have an enjoyable experience and increase fuel mileage.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #24

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I would agree that adding aftermarket parts hurts mileage. On my last truck A gm with a 6.0 L engine I had a aftermarket air intake on it for a while and it was 1-2 miles per gallon that it hurt. The oiled filter also buggered up the mass air flow sensor.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We are two months and 7,0000 miles into our trip and I am averaging 13.25 mpg total, with about 95% of that towing. I use tow haul, try to keep my fresh water topped up and usually have some waste in the tanks, but rarely full. I have not noticed any difference towing with or without full tanks in previous trips.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Good to see others are in the same boat, so to speak….I too have toyed with the diesel option, particularly the new Ram 1500 diesel. But after joining the forum there I found some interesting issues. These clean diesels are clean because they inject urea into the exhaust. It costs like $50 every oil change to fill. For those not familiar with urea, it is what I clean out of my cat's little box every day. I'm throwing it away and others are buying it to burn in their diesel!! The oil change every 10k will run about $150 with the urea fill up. That said there is a $4-6K upgrade up charge for the diesel. I figure with 6-8,000 miles towing a year, it will take awhile to recoup your premium plus there is the premium at the gas pumps. You will save about a 30% of fuel with diesel over gas, you can do the math.
The Ram 1500 diesel I believe has the same engine and tranny as our 2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel, we upgraded from a 2011 GC Hemi V8 (Horrible mileage for these days really)
So far non towing we get 26 city and 28 - 30 hwy. 650 miles out of one tank. Walmart sells DEF for $12, you need 2 every 10k.
The diesel adds $3k to the RAM 1500, worth every penny just for the fun factor, this new engine mates perfectly with the 8 speed transmission and the torque is amazing
We pick up our 19 in August and will post some numbers when we get back.
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RE: Alberta to Prince George to Chilliwack to Alberta. ... Just did the math, averaging 15.84 Imp gal = 19 US gal., towing a 19 with a GMC 4x4 crew cab, 5.3 V8 6 speed ---I think that is outstanding.

Doug you just made me very happy. Now I'm going to go out and buy my new truck a Tonneau cover because I have been told it will reduce gas consumption.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
RE: Alberta to Prince George to Chilliwack to Alberta. ... Just did the math, averaging 15.84 Imp gal = 19 US gal., towing a 19 with a GMC 4x4 crew cab, 5.3 V8 6 speed ---I think that is outstanding.

Doug you just made me very happy. Now I'm going to go out and buy my new truck a Tonneau cover because I have been told it will reduce gas consumption.
Myron remember the following:

Southern Alberta to Prince George via Hwy 22 and Hwy 16 speed 40 - 60 mph taking it easy.

Prince George to Chilliwack max. 60 mph (not very often) and is down hill.

Chilliwack back to Southern Alberta 50 - 60 mph (slow by Albertan standards)

Used tow haul mode most of the time except going down hill just kind of kicked off the cruise and let her run might have hit 70 mph going down the odd hill but slowed quick once things flattened out.

I have made trips cruising at 70 mph and lost a couple of mpg....

Also I don't think my Tonneau cover makes any diffence as I have made trips with and without it.

By the way the Sierra is supposed to get 20 mpg city and 30 mpg highway but it doesn't, here is a website for truck fuel economy.
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/...cks.cfm?attr=8

Doug
Old 06-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I installed a cold air intake as well as throttle body spacer for some extra hp increase to 420 vs stock 390hp.
I'm sure that's what the aftermarket parts manufacturer says; I'm not so sure it's true. Also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I would agree that adding aftermarket parts hurts mileage. On my last truck A gm with a 6.0 L engine I had a aftermarket air intake on it for a while and it was 1-2 miles per gallon that it hurt. The oiled filter also buggered up the mass air flow sensor.
Lots of development work goes into vehicles - many millions of dollars worth. If aftermarket parts add peak power capability, they usually cost in some other way... if they didn't, the vehicle manufacturer would have done the same thing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
The gmc canyon diesel is reported to have a tow capacity in the 7000 lb range, and be able to average well into the 30 miles per gallon ( not towing ). will be interesting to see if this becomes a suitable tow vehicle for some
Yes, but the diesel Colorado/Canyon is a planned 2016 model year vehicle, so we'll be waiting for a while to find out!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcdonaher View Post
The Ram 1500 diesel I believe has the same engine and tranny as our 2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel...
Yes, it's the same VM Motori 3.0L engine, and presumably the same transmission.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Any opinions on what effect using cruise control has on towing?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Geez Doug, I know you said Prince George but I got my Princes mixed up and thought you meant Prince Edward. (We passed by the island one year on our way to Nova Scotia.) No wonder I got excited. Big difference.

I done 60 mph in a 75 mph zone many times. Still want the Tonneau.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Any opinions on what effect using cruise control has on towing?
If it keeps you from wildly varying in speed on level terrain it could help. More likely, by using high power and triggering downshifts in an attempt to maintain speed up grades, it will hurt... assuming that you have an automatic transmission.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My recollection from my RAV4 manual and from posts on forums is don't use cruise control. Not sure why though, unless its because it puts your brain into cruise.
I'm not comfortable using it even when I'm not towing. I guess if I was driving across Saskatchewan with no other traffic it would be useful, but I find I'm constantly having to override it because the traffic isn't moving at a constant speed.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:57 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find using cruise will activate down shifts a lot quicker than with non cruise and just your foot. There is a rpm range using your foot that allows some increase before the transmission down shifts, seems this range is lost while in the cruise mode. This chart is interesting, it appears that
PICKUP TRUCKS | Office of Energy Efficiency
weight of the heavier 4x4 models always decrease the efficiency, Thus weight and speed are the critical issues.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Cruise Control: I've done a lot of traveling with and without it on my conventional trailer. I use it on long flats so my speed does not vary and I don't have to worry about the man, I tend to speed up over long periods when using my foot.
I much prefer doing the shifting myself in the hills, it's usually the first time the CC downshifts that I knock it out. I'd rather let some speed bleed off before downshifting. Many times I can pretty much roll up a hill without any need to downshift or give it any extra gas. Pretty much what Jim is saying. I have noticed by watching the instant mpg display, I do better, mpg wise, then cruise does in the hills.
While I've never gone out to specifically compare mpg using CC vs your foot, I've never noticed any difference. The only circumstances that changed mpg consistently were headwind and speed. Usually the difference in cost at slow speeds (55) and higher speed (70) doesn't add up enough to sway me one way or the other. I just drive at what ever a comfortable speed is.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I do pretty much like Bob, with cruise on when the driving is easy, and off in hills. The only difference, I downshift earlier than the transmission normally would going up steeper hills, to keep my revs up and have more power, with the engine performing better.

I do find with my Pilot towing, that keeping the speed down makes a big difference in fuel economy, and once over 110 kph on the flats, it starts to suffer. But, time is money, and being a working stiff, I usually press the speed a bit to save time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I have no stats to show numbers yet...but here are some observations from our return trip. The 5.0TA has performed well. In the steep mountain passes I used 3rd. gear to ascend as well as descend. In a few cases I used the extra squeeze on the brake controller to slow the rig better and use the new brakes on the trailer more.
In the strong 50mph + headwinds, maintaining 62-65 mph has taken a toll on the gas mileage. The gas prices aren't cheap enough to do the 75 mph speed limits in Montana & North Dakota. I am towing exclusively in 4th. with the OD locked out. The only shifting is when the torque converter spins out on the uphills, or passing gear is engaged. I am maintaining 2200-2500 rpm's with 2800-3000 on the hills. NO cruise control when towing!!! Pic. from the Crowsnest pass summit I think? That white lake is ice!!! No place for short pants either.
The trailer is surely there if you look in the new trailer towing mirrors!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030688.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
BBrrr, that looks cold. We are in a heat wave back east.