Is 12 mpg an acceptable number? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
As a future owner, I've been following this thread and doing alot of research on the subject of fuel economy while towing. The biggest misconception I've found is that people think a smaller TV with higher non-towing mpg means more fuel efficient towing -- and it's often just the opposite. Many smaller vehicles have to work much harder to tow, and the mileage is reduced by as much as 50%.

IMHO the 3 best I've found so far, for balancing fuel economy with towing capacity, are the Ford F-150 with the Eco Boost V6, the Chevy Silverado V8, and the Dodge Durango. The latter is EPA rated at 25 mpg highway, non-towing. Many owners on the other rv forums report only a 3 or 4 mpg drop on this vehicle when towing. Of course, driving habits, wind and hills make a big difference, as many of you have reported.

But, the assumption that a big truck means poor mileage when towing is clearly wrong in many cases. When I placed the order for our 17B, I fully intended to tow it with our Lincoln MKX SUV. Now, I'm leaning more and more toward a mid to full size pickup, with greater towing capacity, and that will not have to work so hard to tow at a comfortable speed, or struggle and rev high to get up hills.

PS - and an honorable mention to the great Toyota 4-Runner, the last mid-size full body-on-frame SUV left in North America.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 AM   #102

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It's true that a bigger tug may get better fuel economy while towing. If your tug is dedicated to towing, that's important; if your tug is driven 90% of the time without a trailer, your total fuel consumption depends much more on the non-towing fuel consumption.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:31 AM   #103
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's true that a bigger tug may get better fuel economy while towing. If your tug is dedicated to towing, that's important; if your tug is driven 90% of the time without a trailer, your total fuel consumption depends much more on the non-towing fuel consumption.
Yeah that's true. Towing mileage isn't that important of you tow infrequently. In our case though, the MKX gets about 23 hwy. A full size truck can now easily match that. I'd be willing to bet that when towing, the MKX does much worse than the truck would. For us it seems the move to an F150 would be a win-win.

Or maybe I just want a truck?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #104

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscovell View Post
If anyone is in the market for a new vehicle, I highly recommend the new Ram 1500 with the V-6 eco-diesel. We have a crew cab short bed, 4x4, 8 speed auto. With no trailer and driving on the highway we get 25 - 26mpg (Florida to Chilliwack). We just picked up our new 5.0 TA ( limited mileage at this point) and when towing it drops to 19 - 21 mpg. I would avoid the 'rambox & air suspension' option if you opt for the 5.0 as it creates interference issues with a 5th wheel hitch. As we head back to Florida, we will get more accurate mileage figures and will update.
Bob,
I saw one of your rare posts regarding the recent rally, and I was hoping you could give us all an update on your new Ram concerning towing mileage, and your impressions in general.
Thanks, Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #105

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I saw Bob this weekend and his EcoDiesel is still making him happy. I'm sure that number may have increased as he has something like 15 k miles by now and the motor is "broken in" so to speak. I have a similar Dodge Ram but opted for the 5.7 Hemi with the 8 speed and 3:21 rear. Where both the Eco and my truck have same transmission, the diesel has a 3:55 rear and the v-8 has the 3:21 or 3:92 rear choice.

Although my unit is not broken in as Bob's, for comparison I averaged 18-19 mpg unhitched and 14-16 mpg towing in the "Tow Mode". This is an approximate 25%-50% increase over my previous Ram with same engine but the older 5 speed and 3:55 rear which averaged 12 mpg towing or not.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #106

Trailer: former owner-2014 5.0 TA #4 TV-Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Bob,
I saw one of your rare posts regarding the recent rally, and I was hoping you could give us all an update on your new Ram concerning towing mileage, and your impressions in general.
Thanks, Bill
Sue & I have been traveling down the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We have very sporadic wireless connections, so this response is a little late. We now have 17,666 miles on the truck (6 Months). My initial mileage on the highway without the trailer has stayed the same (25-26). Mileage with the trailer has varied, I do get 19-20 on the highway, but on hilly terrain it drops to 17-18. My initial warning on the Rambox option proved to be wrong, have not had any issues even with sharp turns. We really like this truck, it is very smooth riding and quiet. As Jim mentioned, the 8 speed transmission is terrific. In the hills it almost thinks for you, especially on steep down hill runs.
rscovell is offline   Reply With Quote