Is AWD/4WD Really a Requirement as a Tow Vehicle? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Kind of like those big combines on the farm. They will just about go through anything, but if you get one stuck you have a very major problem. Usually a very large wrecker and a lot of $$$$$. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
For what it is worth we have a fwd Highlander. But one of the few regrets I have is that it is not awd. We have always been able to do what we need to do, but there are a couple of times when it would have been easier with AWD. Mostly when there is loose gravel or in frozen conditions.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
4 WD is better for getting into situations that are difficult to get out of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
in general (not towing), 4x4 is for getting you unstuck. if you get stuck in 4x4, then you're really really stuck.
While these are two versions of a classic adage, there is a problem with it. Trying to get somewhere in 2WD when there isn't enough traction can result in spinning the tires and digging in (or losing control). Sometimes it makes more sense to engage 4WD and avoid spinning in the first place. Details depend, as always, on the details of the vehicle and 4WD system.

With a traction control system (which all recent vehicles have) there is normally a instrument panel indication (typically a yellow lit symbol) that the system is having to take action. That's a good cue that traction is marginal and action should be taken before there is a real problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #44

Trailer: none
We will for sure be getting a 4WD tow vehicle since we live in the mountains above 5,000 ft. so get snow and ice in winter. However, the main reason is our driveway situation. Trying to haul a trailer uphill around this sharp bend can be a challenge!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2348.jpg  
Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 F250
The best answer... “IT DEPENDS”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
We live in the mountains of Vermont and drive in the snow and mud so in our case yes it is a must. My truck is my daily driver. I also have needed to use low range and/or 4wd to get the camper parked a few times due to either steep or slippery approaches. If you do not foresee these type of driving situations then no you do not need 4wd/AWD to pull a trailer. So I guess my answer is IT DEPENDS. There is certainly a penalty in MPG to haul around the extra drive shafts etc.
I have pulled a small tag-a-long with a Honda Pilot AWD and an F150 4x4. I am now pulling a 5.0TA with an F250 4x2. They all worked well for me givien where I go, where I live and what I use the vehicle for at home.

What ever your thoughts it is worth noting that 4x4 and AWD will improve you acceleration, but it will do nothing to improve deceleration. For example: they will helpe you up the snow covered hill -(if not too deep); they do not improve stopping distance or control in a skid on ice.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
From the time I could buy a truck I always bought 4X4's, Later in life (I am 71) I realized that the only times I used the 4X4, and they were few was when I put myself in a place that I needed it. I stopped the added expense of a 4X4 used more good sense and did not attempt to do things I only did because I had a 4X4. Buy it if you want it but you don't need it at least in the east.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #47

Trailer: 2002 Casita SD 17'
Our Ridgeline is AWD, as was the Pilot before it. They both have engaged the AWD several times. Really nice to have and we will recoup most of the AWD premium at resale time. If that 1 mpg penalty is going to break the bank, I need to stop camping.

I've seen so many post suggesting it a waste of money to pay for something that is only used a few times. Yet I still pay the various insurance policies and the house still has not had any issue where the insurance was needed. And my life insurance hasn't: paid a dime! And that is a good thing
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:56 PM   #48

Trailer: Dutchmen denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
In our world, it certainly IS a requirement. We wouldn't be able to get home without it. All our cars and trucks are AWD/4x4 vehicles. The technology is so good now, I don't see why not. Our F-150 was actually too soft of a ride, and I stiffened it up with new shocks, Hellwig helper springs, and a Hellwig anti-sway bar. My wife's CRV ( granted NOT a TV ) is AWD, doesn't have a stiff ride, is easy to get in and out of, and gets 30MPG. I don't buy many of the negatives you stated, especially with the newer vehicles.

I've needed 4x4/AWD ability in the strangest of places, on-road.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

And, I really don't like having to call a tow truck.
Buddy I suggest you speak for yourself. I would take a two-wheel drive truck for towing my RV any day over a 4x4. Two-wheel drives are all around better for towing especially long distance and 4x4 is only for when you aren't thinking and put yourself into a bad situation. Not only do you lose towing capacity and payload but it's also more complicated stuff to fix. If you have a locking rear differential 99% of what you get into who you'll be able to get out of. There's generally more wear and tear and there's more brakes and tires to be replaced on all wheel drive and 4x4s. If you know what you're doing you will probably never need 4x4 when towing your RV again the stipulation being that you know what you are doing.. ..... .
SeanAButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:59 PM   #49

Why don't you look up what happens when you change one tire on an all-wheel drive system... .... I'll go ahead and tell you you have to buy all new tires all around. If only a time or two you thought to yourself you might have possibly needed it..... You really didn't.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
We will for sure be getting a 4WD tow vehicle since we live in the mountains above 5,000 ft. so get snow and ice in winter. However, the main reason is our driveway situation. Trying to haul a trailer uphill around this sharp bend can be a challenge!
I don't see anything in that picture that a two-wheel drive with a limited slip differential couldn't handle just fine
Old 12-12-2023, 06:02 PM   #51

Why don't you go ahead and change one of your tires on that all wheel drive system and see how much it really cost to own...... They cost more to maintain than they are worth. Should have just kept the pilot it's the same damn thing
Old 12-12-2023, 06:09 PM   #52

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
If you’ve searched around the forum, you know I say you don’t need 4WD. If you want it, fine, but it’s not necessary in almost all situations.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:20 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have all wheel drive vehicles, I have had them for about 40 years and will continue to own
and tow with them. I can afford to fix them which is rarely needed, I can afford the extra fuel that the vehicle may burn, I like the security they give me and I don’t care about others opinions on my equipment choices nor do I criticize their choices. Live and let live.

Pull an ice planer on wet pond ice so a thousand people can enjoy speed skating races and you’ll know what thanks and respect are and what four wheel drive can do. Probably doesn’t happen in every state In the union but it was my life every winter for several years as well as plowing drifts out of cemetery roads so people could pay their final respects or plow out roads to housing so the police, fire and ambulances can respond. Pull someone out of a snow drift who is stuck out in the country in the gathering darkness. Then you’ll truly understand the value of four wheel drive. Love them manual lockouts and granny low.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-12-2023, 07:22 PM   #54

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAButler View Post
Buddy I suggest you speak for yourself. I would take a two-wheel drive truck for towing my RV any day over a 4x4. Two-wheel drives are all around better for towing especially long distance and 4x4 is only for when you aren't thinking and put yourself into a bad situation. Not only do you lose towing capacity and payload but it's also more complicated stuff to fix. If you have a locking rear differential 99% of what you get into who you'll be able to get out of. There's generally more wear and tear and there's more brakes and tires to be replaced on all wheel drive and 4x4s. If you know what you're doing you will probably never need 4x4 when towing your RV again the stipulation being that you know what you are doing.. ..... .
So you joined the Escape forum just to revive a 5+yr old thread so you could get your extremely important opinion out for all to see? I'm guessing you didn't even realize you're arguing with a members post from nearly 6yrs ago.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 07:26 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I wonder how often it snows and freezes in Florida? or how many mountainous fire roads there are?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 10:03 PM   #56

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
So you joined the Escape forum just to revive a 5+yr old thread so you could get your extremely important opinion out for all to see? I'm guessing you didn't even realize you're arguing with a members post from nearly 6yrs ago.
And on top of that, Thiggins who he is replying to, has not been on this forum since January of 2019, almost 5 years ago.

Seems like a lot of the forums I look at are experiencing a revival of old threads by people who just want to insert their opinion on something that is years old and long past. Not sure how they even find the threads sometimes.

Charles
Old 12-13-2023, 12:50 AM   #57

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Wondering what part of “In our world, it certainly IS a requirement” is anything but speaking for himself.

The only 2 wheel drive vehicle we have purchased in the past 35 years was a Honda S2000 and it lived in the garage during the winter. We live on a steep road up a ridge that gets sufficient snowfall to cause sphincter clenching to any 2 wheel drive drivers no matter what their level of social media stated driving expertise.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 05:06 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I’m sorry to say that often a forum newbie shows up with single digit post numbers and starts posting snarky comments like a know-it-all, seemingly thinking that any other person posting is trying to force their opinion down other people’s throats. I refer to his first sentence. The person this newbie quotes did no such thing, he only discussed his personal needs, likely based on his location. I, too, live in Florida and find locking differential adequate for my needs. But I do NOT camp or tow in cold weather. If I still lived in New England where there is snow and ice on the roads, sometimes unexpectedly, you can bet your backside I would have AWD or 4WD vehicles. Although I welcome most anyone who joins the EOF (or FGRV), I would suggest you be nice or go elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
I would also note that this individual indicates he owns a stickie. One has to wonder why he thinks his “opinion” that 2WD with locking differential is superior when he owns an “inferior” trailer is cause to question (See, I can be snarky and rude too!).
Old 12-13-2023, 06:26 AM   #59

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Wondering what part of “In our world, it certainly IS a requirement” is anything but speaking for himself.

The only 2 wheel drive vehicle we have purchased in the past 35 years was a Honda S2000 and it lived in the garage during the winter. We live on a steep road up a ridge that gets sufficient snowfall to cause sphincter clenching to any 2 wheel drive drivers no matter what their level of social media stated driving expertise.
I owned a 2007 Honda S2000 White with Red/Black Interior. Sold it after 47K miles and have regretted ever since. It was a blast to drive.

I was once pulled over doing 146 MPH and the State Patrolman spent an hour with me on the side of the road talking about all the details of the car. He was very impressed and let me drive away without a ticket or taking me to jail for that speed.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 08:03 AM   #60

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Apparent "trolling" behaviour is not usually welcome or tolerated here.