Is the E2 Fastway the best way to go? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Is the E2 Fastway the best way to go?

We will be finalising our build sheet for our new 21 this week and have purchased a new to us 2015 Ford F-150 with a 2.7L ecoboost engine as our TV. It comes with a trailer tow package including an integrated brake controller. Their are separate receptacles for both a 7 and 4 pin plug, so we are good to go.

Back to the old cherry though, the weight distribution hitch and sway control. Although the TV includes some sort of sway control management, it is more in the way of reducing the impact if it occurs rather than being preventative.

Clearly some users would go without, however, we feel that it would be safer, especially as we plan longish trips with lots of highway driving as well as up and down lots of steep hills and curves, to get a WDH with some kind of sway control.

Our preference would be to go with the E2 Fastway and get ETI to install it. The convenience of the integration, not having to unhitch the sway bars when backing up are attractive options. However there seem to be a lot of issues with it, especially older models, and the way it has been installed, which doesn't necessarily thrill us. There is an active thread on this on the forum right now. There appear to be some remedies and supposedly the latest version should alleviate it, but some people have mentioned that maybe the installation was at fault, not sure whether this happened on ETI installations rather than elsewhere, or on home installations.

Hence our question, Is an E2 Fastway the best way to go, or are there better options?
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
We have the E2, installed by ETI in July when we picked up our new 21. No issues towing back to Ga. thru Glacier, Yellowstone, and Colorado. We have a new Highlander, and I did not try towing without the bars attached.
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i towed a 17 with a highlander used WDH with the bars ( i don't remember the name but the simple one with bars and chains) never removed when backing up -no issues.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i towed a 17 with a highlander used WDH with the bars ( i don't remember the name but the simple one with bars and chains) never removed when backing up -no issues.

Pro Series?
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH2.jpg  
Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The Pro series worked well for us on the 19 as well. We never unhooked the bars to back up
And I had it jackknifed pretty short a few times and never dropped a bar. It is possible though I’ve been told. The greater worry in that case will be contact between the trailer and the taillight lens. Which is also possible I’m told. I don’t like to crank anything around too tight, I’d rather reset my pattern an give it another go. That said, I’m sure the hitch you’re looking at will do well for you. I’d be especially vigilant the first few days and first few thousand miles with proper torque values, an understanding of how the hitch should look when everything is tight and the wrenches or sockets to “make it so Scotty”. That’s true of any new thing you put on the road including lug nuts and other visible nuts, bolts and screws.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Can't say if it's the best one, but I used it's big brother, the Equal-i-zer, for 7 years. Used it with a GMC 1500, and my F150. Although I didn't HAVE to use one either, I just felt better with it, but to each his own.

Other then the bending brackets that others here talk about it worked fine.

Do think about the weight of the unit, I lugged mine from the shed to the truck each time I needed it. The head that goes in the receiver must be somewhere around 40 or 50 lbs.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
WDH spring bars of any brand are not removed for backing up. It is only the separate bar-and-clamp style friction-based sway control devices (which are not WD systems at all) which may need to be removed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote: (Can't say if it's the best one, but I used it's big brother, the Equal-i-zer, for 7 years. Used it with a GMC 1500, and my F150. Although I didn't HAVE to use one either, I just felt better with it, but to each his own.)

Having used a variety of hitches through the years, my favorite was the Equal-i-zer we had for our huge 36' Cougar High Country. Easy to use and rock solid control.

Debated about which hitch to use for our new (due in November) 21' and decided to go with the E2 Fastway. We will be towing with a Ford F250, so yeah it might be overkill for that truck. But, figured that the extra capability and safety of that hitch setup is worth the added money spent. We tend to error more on the side of safety when towing.

And the hitch will just be another added feature if we ever decide we want to sell.
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post

Clearly some users would go without, however, we feel that it would be safer, especially as we plan longish trips with lots of highway driving as well as up and down lots of steep hills and curves, to get a WDH with some kind of sway control.
We had the same concerns, Chris & Patricia, and ordered a Pro Series WDH (as shown in photo posted by Glenn) plus Sway Control bar. The WDH is a necessity with our Explorer SUV, and we never tow without it. We used the optional Sway Control bar for several thousand miles and experienced no sway. Then we experimented with using just the WDH and no Sway Control bar. We notice NO DIFFERENCE, and have not used the Sway Control bar since. We too, have traveled long distances on the highway, and have never regretted the decision. The 21 tracks very true and No Sway. Just My $.02.....

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes pro series
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2023 21C' Escape
I tend to error on the side of safety. We picked our 2018 19 early may this year and had ETI install the E2 hitch. Our TV is a 1/2 ton Chevy PU and even though the owners manual states that is not necessary for for lighter trailers, I want all the advantages I can get when towing. We pulled the 19 back from BC to Iowa and it was uneventful, even when backing into a camp site. Just got back from Yellowstone and again no issues even on two lane highways. I am very satisfied with the performance of the hitch.
Cyclones forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I was choosing between weight distribution hitches, one of my main criteria would be how much the hitch weighs. I would then have to decide if another hitch was light enough for me to pay a premium, or if I'd stay with my Pro Series ( $350 ).
Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If I was choosing between weight distribution hitches, one of my main criteria would be how much the hitch weighs. I would then have to decide if another hitch was light enough for me to pay a premium, or if I'd stay with my Pro Series ( $350 ).
If you were just going by weight, my Andersen is really hard to beat. Of course, it's around $500.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If you were just going by weight, my Andersen is really hard to beat. Of course, it's around $500.
I think that $350 for the Pro Series weighs less than $500 for the Andersen, at least when it comes out of my wallet!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and a lot less in US$, same price for the Andersen but less for the Pro Series, at least now.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
Quote: (Can't say if it's the best one, but I used it's big brother, the Equal-i-zer, for 7 years. Used it with a GMC 1500, and my F150. Although I didn't HAVE to use one either, I just felt better with it, but to each his own.)

Having used a variety of hitches through the years, my favorite was the Equal-i-zer we had for our huge 36' Cougar High Country. Easy to use and rock solid control.

Debated about which hitch to use for our new (due in November) 21' and decided to go with the E2 Fastway. We will be towing with a Ford F250, so yeah it might be overkill for that truck. But, figured that the extra capability and safety of that hitch setup is worth the added money spent. We tend to error more on the side of safety when towing.

And the hitch will just be another added feature if we ever decide we want to sell.

I, too, have a F250. Took a chance when picking up my 21 with not having any W/D or sway control (gave my old Equalizer to the guy who bought my old trailer). I never experienced sway on my return trip to Texas and I doubt the back of the truck drops much more than an inch when hooking up. But if someone feels more comfortable having a W/D and sway control, by all means do so. I will back your decision 100%.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Very happy with our E2 - installed by ETI

we tow with a mid sized SUV.

makes a HUGE improvement in many ways.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #18

Trailer: Current 2018 Escape 21 / Prior 2006 Casita Spirit Deluxe
We have the E2 installed by ETI in March 2018. Our TV is a 2015 Tundra. We put 5070 miles on our 21 from BC to Texas. We found towing the 21 with this setup a pleasurable experience. I store the WDH head and bars in the storage box on the plywood floor when not installed in the receiver hitch. Our prior trailer was a 17ft Casita pulled with a 2015 4Runner with sway control but no WDH. We definately appreciate the WDH and associated benefits.
kennull is offline   Reply With Quote