Is this a lack of a sway control device issue ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Allan:

We have a 19' pulled with a Nissan XTerra. We purchased the 19 used and it came with a WDH so we used it. My understanding is the WDH should redistribute the tongue weight to keep the tow vehicle level, the same orientation it is without the trailer attached. You mention your TV is level with the WDH in use so I suspect the set up is OK.

We weighted ours on returning from a trip to assure it was "trip loaded". We weighed each axle with the WDH installed, without the WDH, and the TV without trailer. (With axle and hitch distances this is enough to calculate trailer and TV weights and redistribution) I was surprised that I could feel a difference in stability (sway) with and without the WDH. I think the WDH adds enough friction, in the sway direction, to help stability.

We also have a 15' vintage trailer without a WDH. It always swayed a little, wagged it's tail slightly. We've towed it thousands of miles and it was never a real problem but noticeable. After seeing how well the 19' towed, we put a sway control bar on the 15'. It took out the sway and is now more comfortable to tow.

I'd think your 17' should be very stable with a WDH and I'm surprised it's not rock solid. As an experiment you might try driving without the WDH? You may want to redistribute the weight in the trailer before adding additional sway control. But, a sway bar is a possibility.

I'm no expert, but maybe our experience will be of use.

Thanks.
Hugh,
Could you post the results of your weighing?
Don

Old 09-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
Hugh,
Could you post the results of your weighing?
Don
Yes, I'd like to add it to the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" spreadsheet.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
I'm another newbie, especially with use of WDH's. I've been researching them this week, and there is some good info in the Equalizer WDH manual found in "Files/Manuals" - 7th selection down the list. Download it and have a nice read, it should help your understanding.

Don
Nov. 10 @ ETI to maybe order a 17.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Jon, If I remember right, Our 21 weighed in at 4225# which included a tongue weight of 450# on our last vacation. We were carrying 167 lbs not including our personal items, food, and kitchen items. That was distributed as follows: 64# in the front storage box, 46# under the bed, 39# in the passenger dinette bench, and 17# in the drivers dinette bench. We also carried 221# in the truck which helped bring us up to near our max truck and trailer weight.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Are you sure on the 4225? All of the other Escape21's on the spreadsheet are around 1000 lbs lighter. I'll put it in at 4225 unless you tell me different...
Old 09-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This is the WDH bar from mine. Don't know if anything changed since 2008.
"Pro Series" is one of the brand names from Cequent, so there would be equivalents under other Cequent brands such as Reese, Draw-tite, Hidden Hitch, and Tow Ready.

It looks like a generic traditional WD system - aside from the details of how easy the head is to adjust, any common brand would be interchangeable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan3089 View Post
I don't really get the weigh scale thing at all, are you saying I take it to one of the commercial scales on the highway and weigh it in some manner? What am I trying to calculate by doing this ? Can I even do that if it's not a commercial vehicle? Is there a cost for this ? Will this somehow change how I should be using the WD hitch ? I understand it's around (or should be) 300# on the hitch - my max on the Tacoma is 650# hitch weight and there was at max 100# in the box. I'll phone around and see where I can get it done.
These look like entirely reasonable questions to me

I use the government run scales along the highways which are intended for checking commercial vehicles, but only after-hours (when they closed but the scale is left operating) so I'm not in anyone's way. This is one option of several, and is only available in some provinces and states.

There have been a few discussions of the use of scales in this forum - just try using the Search for "scale".

The point of scale use regarding WD - as far as I am concerned - is to see how much load each axle is carrying without the trailer, how much with the trailer but no WD, and how much with the WD. That way you could see what you are doing with the WD and whether the result is necessary or even desirable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
Jon, If I remember right, Our 21 weighed in at 4225# which included a tongue weight of 450# on our last vacation. We were carrying 167 lbs not including our personal items, food, and kitchen items. That was distributed as follows: 64# in the front storage box, 46# under the bed, 39# in the passenger dinette bench, and 17# in the drivers dinette bench. We also carried 221# in the truck which helped bring us up to near our max truck and trailer weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Are you sure on the 4225? All of the other Escape21's on the spreadsheet are around 1000 lbs lighter. I'll put it in at 4225 unless you tell me different...
Hi Jon,
Our weights as loaded for a trip have been consistent with Tom's.
The last weight I gave you - 3600# - was the as delivered weight (full propane, no food, water or stuff). I'll look for my notes and get you a "down the road" average.
Thanks for keeping up the spreadsheet.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #19

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
weights/ WDH

Jon, our 21 also is 4200# going down the road loaded.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Jon, average weights on 19's are about 3800. Average for 21's should probably be at least 4200-4300 lbs. That's loaded.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote