Is this price for hitch/brake controller too high? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Is this price for hitch/brake controller too high?

I agree completely Brian that it must be hard for an animal to keep its footing in a moving trailer, but the part that gets me is the "you only need a proportional controller when hauling livestock". What, you don't want smooth braking and proportional stops otherwise?

What might have made sense is something like "you should always use a proportional controller when hauling precious cargo, but you will get better performance from a proportional controller regardless of what you tow."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-21-2016, 08:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Actually I think the person on the phone was quoting from Curt's web site.

What are you towing?

Heavy-Duty

If you are planning to tow cargo like livestock or construction materials, an inertia-based control is ideal, either the CURT TriFlex or Reflex. Inertia-based controls perform much smoother stops, resulting in less stress on the cargo, trailer and vehicle.
Light-Duty
If you are planning to tow a relatively light trailer, such as a popup camper or pontoon boat, a time-based control will be sufficient. CURT’s time-based controls -- Venturer and Discovery -- are more budget-friendly and perform very well with lightweight loads.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I agree completely Brian that it must be hard for an animal to keep its footing in a moving trailer, but the part that gets me is the "you only need a proportional controller when hauling livestock". What, you don't want smooth braking and proportional stops otherwise?

What might have made sense is something like "you should always use a proportional controller when hauling precious cargo, but you will get better performance from a proportional controller regardless of what you tow."
That would make sense, but it takes understanding to come up with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Actually I think the person on the phone was quoting from Curt's web site.

What are you towing?

Heavy-Duty

If you are planning to tow cargo like livestock or construction materials, an inertia-based control is ideal, either the CURT TriFlex or Reflex. Inertia-based controls perform much smoother stops, resulting in less stress on the cargo, trailer and vehicle.
Light-Duty
If you are planning to tow a relatively light trailer, such as a popup camper or pontoon boat, a time-based control will be sufficient. CURT’s time-based controls -- Venturer and Discovery -- are more budget-friendly and perform very well with lightweight loads.
Good find, Bob.

There are two major problems here:
  1. the assumption by Curt that lightweight trailers are not of value, and the much worse assumption by the person at the hitch shop that only livestock are worthy of smooth braking; and,
  2. the lack of understanding of "relatively" light.

If you are using a four-ton pickup to tow a one-ton trailer that's relatively light and you barely need trailer brakes, but Brenda is towing a trailer much closer to the weight of the tug and so this is a relatively heavy trailer (for that tug) and smooth action by the trailer brake system is important.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #24

Yep. Which is why the generalized info on the Curt website is misleading. The trailer weight is not the only consideration.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
So, the person with "questionable knowledge" also told me that it was much cheaper and easier to install the brake controller at the same time as installing the hitch/wiring. Is this true? If not, I may just get the hitch/wiring to so I can tow my Aliner this year and wait until the spring to install a brake controller to tow my 2017 17B.
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Labor for the controller shouldn't be more than one hour of shop time plus maybe $50 for parts such as 7-pin plug, wire and a few other umder hood items. Of course the brake controller would be extra, which you could provide.

What is the quote for just the Class III hitch?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
So, the person with "questionable knowledge" also told me that it was much cheaper and easier to install the brake controller at the same time as installing the hitch/wiring. Is this true? If not, I may just get the hitch/wiring to so I can tow my Aliner this year and wait until the spring to install a brake controller to tow my 2017 17B.

It is probably easier to install the brake controller when you install the Hitch, because of the need to wire the 7 pin connector when the hitch is installed. By the way, the brake controller will be wired to the #2 blue pin. Since it's a bit easier to do them together, I suppose it would be cheaper. And, since most Aliners don't have brakes (I think it's an option?) there would be no need for a brake controller in the interim.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Both places only gave me quotes for the total job, not just the hitch. The dealer quoted me a price of about $640 just for the hitch. I thought it seemed high, but apparently not??
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
If it were me I would be buying the hitch myself after researching what the best Class III hitch for the Kia is. Would be checking with multiple sources like etrailer and even Kia dealer. The hitch is usually a bolt on item and shouldn't be but an hour labor.

It just seems like the package deals you've been offered aren't necessarily the best value in terms of components being used so I would break it down after some more research.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:15 AM   #30

I'm thinking if there is any way you can swing it, it'll be less expensive to have the hitch and a decent brake controller installed by the shop Reace uses.