Is this price for hitch/brake controller too high? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Is the KIA OEM hitch receiver adequate for a Weight Distribution Hitch?
The OEM hitch receiver for my RAV4 was not, so I had a Hidden Hitch installed.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

From what I've been able to read, it looks like the "factory" trailer hitch option on the Sorento is actually not installed by the factory, but is a "port installed" option - i.e., the dealer installs it. And, it looks like most of them install a hidden hitch brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #43

Question is still, "is this hitch receiver rated for a WDH?"
Old 06-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
From what I've been able to read, it looks like the "factory" trailer hitch option on the Sorento is actually not installed by the factory, but is a "port installed" option - i.e., the dealer installs it. And, it looks like most of them install a hidden hitch brand.
That's normal: unless the hitch receiver is integrated with the bumper structure - and this one is not - it is a dealer-installed or "port installed" (done by a distributor between the manufacturer and dealer) accessory. My Sienna hitch is dealer-installed, but it is a genuine Toyota accessory.

Of course someone has to make the receiver, and that is very often one of the aftermarket hitch companies. My Sienna's receiver is a Reese (one of the Cequent brands; Hidden Hitch is another Cequent brand), but was never available except from Toyota.

I usually use eTrailer to survey the available hitches for a vehicle because they carry both Curt and all of the Cequent brands; in the case of the 2016 Sorrento the only Cequent hitch shown is the Draw-Tite, and it does not look like the Kia design. The Hidden Hitch 87665 is for the Sorrento, and also looks just like the Curt and Draw-Tite. The Hidden Hitch installation instructions confirm that exactly the same product is sold under three names and part numbers:
  • Draw-Tite 75908
  • Hidden Hitch 87665
  • Reese 44750
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Quote:
Question is still, "is this hitch receiver rated for a WDH?"
The installation instructions for the Cequent (Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite, Reese) aftermarket hitch receiver indicate that it is not rated for weight-distribution use. The standard table of rated capacity is included, but the weight-distributing row shows "NA" instead of weights.

It may be that Cequent (Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite, Reese...) does not provide a weight-distributing rating because they know that Kia does not endorse the use of a weight-distributing hitch - the Sorrento owner's manual does not mention WD one way or the other - but that is only speculation.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Just to go with the info above, we paid $45 to an RV shop to install our Prodigy.
Is the 4Runner pre-wired by Toyota for a brake controller? It looks like it just needs a plug-in adapter for connection of the controller, with no wiring work to do at all. That means for $45 they plugged in a cable and installed the mounting bracket... a lot more work will be needed on the Sorrento.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
It might be worth trying to see if the dealer will work with you on a total installed price - with you buying the Technosha and bringing it to them as part of the install. Our Highlander came with only the flat 4 pin wiring. I found talking directly with the service manager got me the best install price for all the wiring and controller installed. I also stipulated #10 wire for the power/charge wire. He said that that was standard on Toyota factory installs also.

Side note, when I was dealing with the guy who valued trade-ins, he highly recommended having the dealer do the wiring. Granted he works at the dealership, but he said he had seen a lot of corroded and broken trailer wiring that had just been run where ever it was easiest under the vehicle. The dealer ran all the wiring inside the Highlander and made sure all connections were inside also.
Around here, the dealers send this sort of work out to hitch shops. Dealerships are great for following officially endorsed procedures, using genuine OEM parts, and being familiar with the vehicle. On the other hand, they may not be good with custom work.

Certainly the quality of work can be a challenge with anything custom; you need to be very specific with your request, or be able to trust the installer to do it appropriately. If you have a dealer you really trust then I can see going with them.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:34 AM   #48

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
So the saga continues...

I cancelled the appointment today with the place that wanted me to buy the super cheap brake controller.

I called the dealership today. The person that answered in the service department said, "I'm just training. I really don't know anything." OK. The second lady had worked for an RV place and actually had a clue. This is what I found out:

All they will install is the hitch. No wiring whatsoever (even though they sell a wiring harness as an accessory). Absolutely no way they'd install a brake controller. So, that means the $640 I was quoted to install the Kia hitch meant the install was about $300! I assumed that included the wiring. No.

She was able to run the VIN for me and I found out that I DO have the tow package, including the larger tranny cooler. Made me very happy!! I asked if that meant that the wiring was done to the back of the vehicle and she said that they don't do that on these vehicles. She said when the wiring and controller is done on these, no wire is run at all - it's all done "with modules". Sounded like it was all remote, or radio frequency, or something? I was a little confused. Does that mean that the wireless controller that Dave mentioned would be my only/best option??

She did recommend 2 hitch places to me, one of which I spoke with briefly previously. I guess my next step is to call them and try to get some more info.

Summer may be over before I'm able to tow!!

Thanks again for the input!
Brenda
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:59 AM   #49

I think your next step is to consider another dealer selling another brand.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Brenda, I am feeling your pain-how frustrating

Thought about Glenn's comment above and another thought is call a local firm selling horse & utility trailers. Found this 1/2 hour from you- About Bert Duncan Trailer Sales They look full-service and do RV's too.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #51

This place looks full-service 1 hour from Myrnam; great website https://paulstrailers.myrecstore.ca/hitches
Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #52

Got a quote from Ernie at Paul's Trailer & Truck: $1025 with a Curt Class III hitch, wiring harness with 7-Pin and 10 gauge charge wire and Tekonsha P3. With Primus IQ: $900. He quoted 3.5 hours of labor at $105/hour-EDIT-which is included in the total price.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Got a quote from Ernie at Paul's Trailer & Truck: $1025 with a Curt Class III hitch, wiring harness with 7-Pin and 10 gauge charge wire and Tekonsha P3. With Primus IQ: $900. He quoted 3.5 hours of labor at $105/hour.

Wow, glad we don't have those prices in San Antonio. All the parts you list above can be had for $325 USD. Add $300 for labor and it's around $625.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Wow, glad we don't have those prices in San Antonio. All the parts you list above can be had for $325 USD. Add $300 for labor and it's around $625.
Sure, but US$625 is CA$800, so the prices are not all that different.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #55
Site Team

Yeah, I guess not a huge difference.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
I called the dealership today. The person that answered in the service department said, "I'm just training. I really don't know anything." OK. The second lady had worked for an RV place and actually had a clue. This is what I found out:

All they will install is the hitch. No wiring whatsoever (even though they sell a wiring harness as an accessory). Absolutely no way they'd install a brake controller. So, that means the $640 I was quoted to install the Kia hitch meant the install was about $300! I assumed that included the wiring. No.
It makes no sense for a Kia dealer to not install the Kia-supplied accessory wiring harness, which is a plug-in installation (probably with some digging behind body panels, so it might take some time and effort) - not custom work.

$300 to install just the hitch receiver certainly seems unreasonable.

Quote:
She was able to run the VIN for me and I found out that I DO have the tow package, including the larger tranny cooler. Made me very happy!! I asked if that meant that the wiring was done to the back of the vehicle and she said that they don't do that on these vehicles. She said when the wiring and controller is done on these, no wire is run at all - it's all done "with modules". Sounded like it was all remote, or radio frequency, or something? I was a little confused. Does that mean that the wireless controller that Dave mentioned would be my only/best option??
I am not surprised that a new-car dealership chooses not to do custom wiring and other non-standard installation work. Like most manufacturers, they don't sell an add-on brake controller, so they don't have a standard procedure and price for installing one.

This person might have a clue about wiring for towing, but if she does she doesn't explain it very well.
  • It does appear to be true that the Kia towing package does not include wiring to a connector at the back of the vehicle, since the accessory harness/adapter for the lighting for a trailer includes the 4-pin connector.
  • Kia and the aftermarket suppliers both offer different trailer lighting harness/adapters for the Sorrento, depending of whether or not you have the tow package - get the right one.
  • That harness/adapter obviously is "wiring", so "no wire is run at all" is nonsense.
  • There is an electronic module in that trailer lighting harness/adapter, which takes the separate turn and stop (brake) signals and combines them into the old-fashioned system used by RV trailers.
  • A European vehicle might use an electronic module which connects to the vehicle's communication network and produces the lighting output signals... but they don't run electric brakes. A brake controller needs to be wired to a power source, a switch that goes on when you push the brake pedal, and the connector at the back of the vehicle.

The radio-linked (RF) systems are certainly a valid alternative; I've been suggesting them for years for specific cases. On the other hand, I don't use one, because like most people my situation is inexpensively and effectively handled by a conventional wired-in controller. An RF controller could handle braking requirements without any stress over wiring a brake controller into the tow vehicle; however, it still requires power to the trailer, which still means wiring.

Quote:
Summer may be over before I'm able to tow!!
Someone will install a hitch receiver and plug in the wiring accessory (for just the trailer lights) for a couple hundred dollars or less. This is entirely reasonable to get done in a few days.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #57

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Rossue, I love you!! 😍 I called Ernie and I'm just waiting for a call back to book the job - probably after the long weekend, but that's ok. (Hopefully he calls back.)

Not sure why everyone is hell-bent on selling me a cheaper brake controller. He seems to think I should go with the Primus IQ, but it's my understanding that the P3 is a little more user-friendly in that it actually tells you what's wrong and gives more diagnostic info. Also, it can be mounted 360 degrees where the Primus cannot. At this point, the extra $100 isn't a big deal. Thoughts??

Again, thank you to everyone! You're so much more useful than my brothers and most hitch shops! 😍
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #58

Very glad to help Brenda... and owning the P3 for two years now I would agree it is worth another $100. It is also a smaller unit than most- which may give you more mounting options.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #59

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've had P3's, 8 years of working flawlessly. Don't know the Primus.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #60

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We just had our work done at TradeMaster near Escape Trailers in Chilliwack. We needed the controller ($95 from Escape) and the 7 pin harness installed. The installation was $350 so about $450 total but I already had the class III hitch. Hope that helps
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote