Is this price for hitch/brake controller too high? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
This place looks full-service 1 hour from Myrnam; great website https://paulstrailers.myrecstore.ca/hitches

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #52

Got a quote from Ernie at Paul's Trailer & Truck: $1025 with a Curt Class III hitch, wiring harness with 7-Pin and 10 gauge charge wire and Tekonsha P3. With Primus IQ: $900. He quoted 3.5 hours of labor at $105/hour-EDIT-which is included in the total price.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Got a quote from Ernie at Paul's Trailer & Truck: $1025 with a Curt Class III hitch, wiring harness with 7-Pin and 10 gauge charge wire and Tekonsha P3. With Primus IQ: $900. He quoted 3.5 hours of labor at $105/hour.

Wow, glad we don't have those prices in San Antonio. All the parts you list above can be had for $325 USD. Add $300 for labor and it's around $625.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Wow, glad we don't have those prices in San Antonio. All the parts you list above can be had for $325 USD. Add $300 for labor and it's around $625.
Sure, but US$625 is CA$800, so the prices are not all that different.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Yeah, I guess not a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
I called the dealership today. The person that answered in the service department said, "I'm just training. I really don't know anything." OK. The second lady had worked for an RV place and actually had a clue. This is what I found out:

All they will install is the hitch. No wiring whatsoever (even though they sell a wiring harness as an accessory). Absolutely no way they'd install a brake controller. So, that means the $640 I was quoted to install the Kia hitch meant the install was about $300! I assumed that included the wiring. No.
It makes no sense for a Kia dealer to not install the Kia-supplied accessory wiring harness, which is a plug-in installation (probably with some digging behind body panels, so it might take some time and effort) - not custom work.

$300 to install just the hitch receiver certainly seems unreasonable.

Quote:
She was able to run the VIN for me and I found out that I DO have the tow package, including the larger tranny cooler. Made me very happy!! I asked if that meant that the wiring was done to the back of the vehicle and she said that they don't do that on these vehicles. She said when the wiring and controller is done on these, no wire is run at all - it's all done "with modules". Sounded like it was all remote, or radio frequency, or something? I was a little confused. Does that mean that the wireless controller that Dave mentioned would be my only/best option??
I am not surprised that a new-car dealership chooses not to do custom wiring and other non-standard installation work. Like most manufacturers, they don't sell an add-on brake controller, so they don't have a standard procedure and price for installing one.

This person might have a clue about wiring for towing, but if she does she doesn't explain it very well.
  • It does appear to be true that the Kia towing package does not include wiring to a connector at the back of the vehicle, since the accessory harness/adapter for the lighting for a trailer includes the 4-pin connector.
  • Kia and the aftermarket suppliers both offer different trailer lighting harness/adapters for the Sorrento, depending of whether or not you have the tow package - get the right one.
  • That harness/adapter obviously is "wiring", so "no wire is run at all" is nonsense.
  • There is an electronic module in that trailer lighting harness/adapter, which takes the separate turn and stop (brake) signals and combines them into the old-fashioned system used by RV trailers.
  • A European vehicle might use an electronic module which connects to the vehicle's communication network and produces the lighting output signals... but they don't run electric brakes. A brake controller needs to be wired to a power source, a switch that goes on when you push the brake pedal, and the connector at the back of the vehicle.

The radio-linked (RF) systems are certainly a valid alternative; I've been suggesting them for years for specific cases. On the other hand, I don't use one, because like most people my situation is inexpensively and effectively handled by a conventional wired-in controller. An RF controller could handle braking requirements without any stress over wiring a brake controller into the tow vehicle; however, it still requires power to the trailer, which still means wiring.

Quote:
Summer may be over before I'm able to tow!!
Someone will install a hitch receiver and plug in the wiring accessory (for just the trailer lights) for a couple hundred dollars or less. This is entirely reasonable to get done in a few days.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #57

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Rossue, I love you!! 😍 I called Ernie and I'm just waiting for a call back to book the job - probably after the long weekend, but that's ok. (Hopefully he calls back.)

Not sure why everyone is hell-bent on selling me a cheaper brake controller. He seems to think I should go with the Primus IQ, but it's my understanding that the P3 is a little more user-friendly in that it actually tells you what's wrong and gives more diagnostic info. Also, it can be mounted 360 degrees where the Primus cannot. At this point, the extra $100 isn't a big deal. Thoughts??

Again, thank you to everyone! You're so much more useful than my brothers and most hitch shops! 😍
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #58

Very glad to help Brenda... and owning the P3 for two years now I would agree it is worth another $100. It is also a smaller unit than most- which may give you more mounting options.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #59

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I've had P3's, 8 years of working flawlessly. Don't know the Primus.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #60

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We just had our work done at TradeMaster near Escape Trailers in Chilliwack. We needed the controller ($95 from Escape) and the 7 pin harness installed. The installation was $350 so about $450 total but I already had the class III hitch. Hope that helps

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote