It’s always som something - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I had one of those too but got rid of it when we got the 19. The pin through the 1 7/8 Ball Head always shifted out of center and I’d have to fight getting the coupler over the ball, especially in the dark, in the rain, with mosquitoes buzzing around. Went to separate stingers for boat, utility trailer and of course Escape. Only have one TV now so I have been giving old stuff away to young guys who will take it.
Dave
Old 05-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
when I had to tow various light trailers with different ball sizes, I had one of those convertible balls, where the stem held two different size balls... they are only good for a few 1000 lbs max...
There are a few brands and styles of interchangeable hitch balls, and some are rated up to 10,000 pounds. Sets which fit the small 3/4" hole typical of a Class 1 or Class 2 ball mount only have 1-7/8" and 2" balls and are typically limited to 5,000 pounds... which would be at least as high as the hitch limit anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I had one of those too but got rid of it when we got the 19. The pin through the 1 7/8 Ball Head always shifted out of center and I’d have to fight getting the coupler over the ball...
Sounds like a good design to avoid. The Convert-A-Ball systems are done this way (a pin through the "equator" of the ball), but the Tow Ready system has a recessed release button on the top for the retaining detent balls, and the Weigh-Safe system adds a hinged shell over a 2" diameter ball to make a 2-5/6" diameter ball.

So there are a few ways to avoid changing balls in a standard ball mount, but each system still has a threaded stud and nut to keep tight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Casita
We had the same thing happen when we went to Sedona. I discovered it a couple days later when we were preparing to leave. The ball nut was falling off loose and we had just came down route 89 out of Flagstaff. I about had a heart attack thinking of what could have happened. I purchased a ball wrench and tightened it as much as I could and haven’t had a problem since but I do check it before I leave.
beetlefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #24

We are fortunate to be able to store our Escape at our residential property. We have a metal storage building. Like many folks I work off of a checklist when heading out and when reviewing the condition of the trailer. One thing I have not done that I am planning to do is to assemble the tools commonly used when I’m working on the Escape. I think a modest work bench and a tool board or dedicated tool box would save time and frustration of rounding up the tools commonly needed. Just have to get a round tuit. From bearing grease to a spare #2 Robertson driver, many things are not used anywhere else, just stored where they’ve always been. Gotta fix that.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
From bearing grease to a spare #2 Robertson driver, many things are not used anywhere else, just stored where they’ve always been. t.
Iowa Dave
Now you've gotta be joking about that Robertson screw driver. Not used anywhere else. Couldn't get through the day without one. Oh right, I keep forgetting that you Americans are late adopters of that fine Canadian invention, the Robertson head screw. To most it's just the "square one".

To me, the only place for spares and the tools needed to work on the Escape is in the trailer. I keep those tools separate from my workshop tools. Even doing mods I don't use the trailer tools as I know that it's easy for them to accidentally end up back in the shop and on the road, if you need them.........

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #26

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Towed from Idaho to Yellowstone. Kept hearing an an unusual thunk. Found out that screw to ball was very loose. As an FYI add this to your checklist. Needs to be torqued w air power gun.
I carry a 1-1/2" wrench for our nut on the ball mount. Last 2,000 mile round trip, did not even need it. Works great when I do.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #27

Late Adopters or Adapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Now you've gotta be joking about that Robertson screw driver. Not used anywhere else. Couldn't get through the day without one. Oh right, I keep forgetting that you Americans are late adopters of that fine Canadian invention, the Robertson head screw. To most it's just the "square one".

To me, the only place for spares and the tools needed to work on the Escape is in the trailer. I keep those tools separate from my workshop tools. Even doing mods I don't use the trailer tools as I know that it's easy for them to accidentally end up back in the shop and on the road, if you need them.........

Ron
I have my road set in the trailer and like you I like to leave it there. My workshop tools are up at the house garage and I have a lot of multiples. Once I get a bench going in the Escape garage I think I’ll be set for working on the trailer. Next project after that is my outdoor cooking, tractor , horticulture, grounds maintenance and trappin’ garage. It’s full too but needs a little organization. I’m not a hoarder, I just have a little inventory control problem.
Robertson’s are good but the head is still not In extremely wide use in this part of the country.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 19', 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have drilled a hole and installed a cotter pin or installed a second nut, seems to work.
Do you have a picture showing exactly where this is located?
Bernard Forestell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Forestell View Post
Bernard, Here's an example of a ball with hole through the threads. It came that way. It's not intended to keep the nut tight, just to keep you from losing the nut if it works its way lose. The lock washer I used was so thick, the hole didn't clear the nut, so I substituted with a heavy gauge single strand wire that I passed through then cut to length and bent back up into the nut's recess. When pulling something as valuable as a travel trailer, I still prefer the one-piece mount with welded-on ball, but that's just me. Dale
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09905.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Forestell View Post
Not sure where but here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0043.jpg   IMG_0044.jpg  
Old 05-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #31

Trailer: 19', 2018
Thanks for this Dale

I'm with you but your solution is a reasonable substitute. Used to own a fifth wheel but picking up a new 19' Escape soon so my ears are tuned to ball hitch issues that I have less experience with. Much obliged.
Bern
Bernard Forestell is offline   Reply With Quote