It's All About GVWR... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
It's All About GVWR...

After the “Big Easy” post, I had a few PM requests for further weight info. I explained to all that we would be going through the scales again, but with the trailer “loaded”. Well we have, so I offer the following:

Fresh Water Tank (Full: 30 gal.)
Grey Tank: 10 gal. (1/3 Full)
Black Tank: 10 gal. (1/3 Full)

Note: The GWT & BWT sit ahead of the axles & the FWT, behind.
We also had a total of 45 kg in the Titan box... golf clubs, drinking water supply, etc.

After this second weigh in, the inspectors were good enough to go over all the weights with me (including the trailer dry weights that I posted earlier). Please ignore all the previous, here they are again:

Titan:
GVWR: 3,266 kg
Weighed:
FrontAxle: 1,450 kg
Rear Axle: 1,170 kg

Trailer:
GVWR: 2,500 kg

Titan & Trailer:
Weighed: (Trailer “Dry”)
Front Axle: 1,440 kg
Rear Axle: 1,510 kg
Trailer Axle: 1,510 kg
Pin Weight: 340 kg

Weighed: (Trailer “Loaded”)
Front Axle: 1,450 kg
Rear Axle: 1,630 kg
Trailer Axle: 1,780 kg
Pin Weight: 415 kg

What does this all mean, if I understood the inspectors correctly... Well the trailer is fine with nearly 305 kg (670 lbs) to spare. However, the Titan only has 186 kg (410 lbs) to spare. So, what about the pin capacity of the Titan at approx. 619 kg or it’s towing capacity of 4,127 kg? Well according to them that won’t buy a “beer & a hot dog”. Apparently, what Transport Canada only looks for is if the “train” complies with the GVWR of both, and which, according to them, probably is the same in the States?

They really don’t care (tongue in cheek... recognizing the danger), if one’s burns out the motor or trannie in their TV going through the mountains... it’s the GVWR that will be addressed if checked. One other point came up... if one gets into an accident and their insurance company can prove that one exceeded the GVWR rating... kiss the insurance coverage “good-bye”.

I’ll share our initial “burn in” experience with the “Big Easy” as soon as I got a bit more time...

Hope this helps...

Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
For those of us that can't read metric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
After the “Big Easy” post, I had a few PM requests for further weight info. I explained to all that we would be going through the scales again, but with the trailer “loaded”. Well we have, so I offer the following:

Fresh Water Tank (Full: 30 gal.)
Grey Tank: 10 gal. (1/3 Full)
Black Tank: 10 gal. (1/3 Full)

Note: The GWT & BWT sit ahead of the axles & the FWT, behind.
We also had a total of 45 kg (99 lb) in the Titan box... golf clubs, drinking water supply, etc.

After this second weigh in, the inspectors were good enough to go over all the weights with me (including the trailer dry weights that I posted earlier). Please ignore all the previous, here they are again:

Titan:
GVWR: 3,266 kg (7200 lbs)
Weighed:
FrontAxle: 1,450 kg (3197 lbs)
Rear Axle: 1,170 kg (2579 lbs)

Trailer:
GVWR: 2,500 kg (5511 lbs)

Titan & Trailer:
Weighed: (Trailer “Dry”)
Front Axle: 1,440 kg (3175 lbs)
Rear Axle: 1,510 kg (3329 lbs)
Trailer Axle: 1,510 kg (3329 lbs)
Pin Weight: 340 kg (750 lbs)

Weighed: (Trailer “Loaded”)
Front Axle: 1,450 kg (3197 lbs)
Rear Axle: 1,630 kg (3594 lbs)
Trailer Axle: 1,780 kg (3924 lbs)
Pin Weight: 415 kg (914 lbs)

What does this all mean, if I understood the inspectors correctly... Well the trailer is fine with nearly 305 kg (670 lbs) to spare. However, the Titan only has 186 kg (410 lbs) to spare. So, what about the pin capacity of the Titan at approx. 619 kg (1365 lb) or it’s towing capacity of 4,127 kg (9098 lbs)? Well according to them that won’t buy a “beer & a hot dog”. Apparently, what Transport Canada only looks for is if the “train” complies with the GVWR of both, and which, according to them, probably is the same in the States?

They really don’t care (tongue in cheek... recognizing the danger), if one’s burns out the motor or trannie in their TV going through the mountains... it’s the GVWR that will be addressed if checked. One other point came up... if one gets into an accident and their insurance company can prove that one exceeded the GVWR rating... kiss the insurance coverage “good-bye”.

I’ll share our initial “burn in” experience with the “Big Easy” as soon as I got a bit more time...

Hope this helps...

Larry
Appreciate the weights Larry. Never thought about the insurance angle.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: padlin... Thanks for the conversions. I still use pounds and ounces even though the numbers are smaller in Metric!!! Looks like I got some cipherin' to do!!!
Hi: Stargeezer... Thanks for the measurements... Guess I'll have to like "Lite hot dogs and Ultra Lite Beer"!!!
Either way there's gonna be "WAR" in the camp if I got's to go get a "Whopper" for a truck. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Great information for those waiting for their 5.0TA. Larry didn't mention propane, food, clothing, cookware, electronics, camp gear, chairs, and future modifications that add weight. Most will not travel with 30 gallons of fresh and 1/3 in the septic tanks so that would save weight. We are leaving tomorrow for a month in Minnesota and I am sure I am heavier than a weekend trip.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape
Larry, thank you for making the effort to provide real world information. I wish Escape would weight and document each finished trailer as many manufacturers do here in N. Indiana. The GVWR info would be invaluable to new Escape TT owners.
Great interpretation from the Transport Canada inspectors. Wish we had the same service.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I regret not weighing our 19 as a finished trailer dry weight, meaning before we put any of our crap in it. Having this number would greatly help is loading and making sure we are not hauling too much stuff. It wasn't a option with the 19 as we picked it up on our way out for a 10 day trip. When I pick up the 21 it will be in the winter so I will just be heading home, so I plan to weigh it on the way home for a solid base weight to work with.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Gvwr

Thanks for this detailed information.

Right now I'm going to be towing with a Silverado 2500, with a towing pkg. I'd like to downsize to a 1500.

We've been towing a heavy stick built 5th wheel for 15 years. I'm looking forward to towing a lighter unit.

I donated our current 21' 5th wheel to the local homeless society, for them to use. They get some housing, I get a tax receipt, and I don't have to sell it.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
2014 19' with lots of options (See: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...14-a-3146.html)
Full propane and fresh water tanks, empty holding tanks
Food and clothes for a typical trip
3000 pound axles (instead of standard 2500)

2005 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4WD V8
Fiberglass shell, full gas, 2 people, misc gear

The truck manual does not list the GCWR so I have calculated it.

The forum does not play nicely with tables so I have attached an image of a spreadsheet.
Attached Thumbnails
19CATweights.jpg  
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote