It's official - Tow is On The Way - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #241
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
What's your path for traversing the Seattle traffic? Inquiring minds want to know; I have to do it in Sept.
Nothing special other than the time of day. I-90 to the 405 then I-5. We're going to try to hit it at midday and avoid both the morning and afternoon rush hours.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #242
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Going through Seattle pay attention to the express lanes. You want to use them. Most generally they're the far left lanes (or will get you onto them using that lane)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #243

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Nothing special other than the time of day. I-90 to the 405 then I-5. We're going to try to hit it at midday and avoid both the morning and afternoon rush hours.
OK, Thanks.
Last time we came south (from Chilliwack) we hit it right after 3 pm, and that was too late. It was a day after a holiday, so maybe that had an effect.

We were unsuccessful in getting to the mouth of the express lane; it was a race track of lane-changers around us. (And I'm used to LA traffic.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #244

Trailer: not yet
Can you use "express lanes" while towing? In California, nope! What about Washington?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #245

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We did the 90 to 405 to 5 last September as it is about the only way to go coming in from the east. The problem was we got there around 4 in the afternoon. The express lane did move pretty good but then had to move clear over for an exit to 5. We went back on # 3 to Osoyoos and saw some very nice campgrounds along the way. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 PM   #246
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
Can you use "express lanes" while towing? In California, nope! What about Washington?
The answer at this link seems confusing. The WSDOT website apparently says yes, but the WSP says no?

Trailers and motor homes in the carpool lane? | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News | Jam Session

I don't plan to try it anyway while I'm towing. I won't be going fast enough to keep up.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #247

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Is "express lane" getting mixed up with HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane? In most places, the HOV lane is reserved for vehicles with more than a certain number of occupants, and should flow faster because most vehicles are not allowed in it; in contrast, express lanes allow all vehicles, and move faster because they have few interchanges - traffic isn't coming in and out of them. I'm most accustomed to HOV lanes in the Vancouver area (where there are no express lanes) and express lanes in Ontario (which had express - but not HOV - lanes on Highway 401 before I got my driver's license).

Washington State's I-5 and I-90 Express Lanes do not appear to be HOV lanes - they are reversible express lanes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #248

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
You're right Brian... Then again, there is an HOV lane in the reversible Express Lanes.
I stay out of the far left and far right lanes when traveling the freeways.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:57 AM   #249
Site Team

When I mentioned to Robert the express lanes through Seattle, I meant for when he's trying to get to Chilliwack, not for coming back through with the trailer.

If he's in Pendleton right now, by time he gets there... traffic is going to be a bear starting just north of Olympia right through the northend of Seattle. The express lanes will help.

Be patient Robert!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #250

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I'm not used to heavy traffic being from Alaska where 'rush hours' last about 10 minutes. There is something special about the traffic from, Centralia (30 miles south of Olympia) all the way through Seattle and north through Everett. Most times in daylight its bumper to bumper in this 100 mile stretch .... if you are lucky traffic keeps moving although way too tight together. Then it really wraps up when someone does something stupid.

Here is how I get through this area and frequently I'll be almost the only car on the freeway. I travel between 11:00 pm and 1:00 am. Seems rather extreme, yes, except I tend to be a night owl and I keep reminding myself that I wouldn't drive through "Death Valley" at noon on a summer's day either.

My plan while towing will be to travel through congested areas very late at night and when through them grab a free parking spot at a Rest Area until the following morning / afternoon after a good rest.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #251

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I mentioned to Robert the express lanes through Seattle, I meant for when he's trying to get to Chilliwack, not for coming back through with the trailer.

If he's in Pendleton right now, by time he gets there... traffic is going to be a bear starting just north of Olympia right through the northend of Seattle. The express lanes will help.

Be patient Robert!
Or you can just be up at 3:57 a.m. like Donna.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #252

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Fortunately they are crossing the Cascades on I90 and won't have to deal with Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle.
Boeing traffic in Everett ramps up where they'll join I5 around 1:30 in the afternoon, but thins out after Marysville/Arlington.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #253
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Or you can just be up at 3:57 a.m. like Donna.
Ohhh, I was up earlier than that...
Old 03-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #254

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Good evening everyone. We are in Pendleton Oregon tonight and on to Chilliwack tomorrow. The mileage took a 1.5 mpg hit today. The entire day on I84 we were driving directly into a 40 mph headwind. Semis were swaying like fish! The mileage was still respectable though at about 23.9 mpg.

I can smell Canada....
Welcome to Canada!
I will be very interested in your return milage results.
Do you have the 36 gallon fuel tank? Sadly we have a 20 US gallon tank resulting in a short 275M range.
We tow with a not Eco boost AWD Ford Flex which is approx 200 pounds heavier than your TV.
Our fuel consumption drops from 23 down to 14.5 miles to the US gal when towing.
It will be interesting to see if the Eco Boost feature narrows the gap between towing and not towing at highway speeds.
Did you have time to load the juke box before you left?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #255

Trailer: not yet
Quote:
Yep, I'm aware of the Oregon law. We won't need gas in Oregon. I filled up yesterday morning in Roswell NM and just this evening in Ogden I decided to fill up again even though I had a quarter tank left. Won't need gas again for at least 950 miles.

I know that sounds unbelievable but that's what 26 mpg and a 36 gallon fuel tank will do for you.
Looks like he got the big tank.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #256

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With that range I'd have to make an excuse to stop for gas, just to use the rest room........
Old 03-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #257
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
That is a pretty amazing cruising range for sure. Don't know if my heart could
Take paying for 30 or 35 gallons of fuel if or when it goes back to $4.00. When I'm on the road I like to stop about every 150 miles and move around a little and check the trailer. I will go 200 but that's about my limit. My kids will run 300, stop for 5 minutes and drive 300 more. When I was their age I didn't own anything that would go that far without repairs. Pictures of the new 19 and new tow hooked up as the modern combination of the Texas Cannonball are much anticipated.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #258
Site Team

Good evening all! Made it to Chilliwack at about 4 pm. We hit the 405 in the Seattle area about noon and it was a piece of cake. I did the speed limit (it was mostly 60 mph) the entire time and was able to use the cruise control almost the entire time as people flew past me at least 10 mph over the limit. The only issues were the crazies who make multiple lane changes, use no signals, and are a positive danger to themselves and everybody else. Had to tap on the brakes a few times as they cut in front of me, otherwise I didn't even have to touch the brakes. Time of day appears to be key. Noon is fine.

The PITA traffic was when we turned off I5 in Bellingham and headed toward Sumas. Nothing but big dump trucks doing 25-30 in a 50 zone for several miles. We got past that by Nooksack, then it was smooth sailing to Sumas. The Border official at the Sumas crossing was VERY thorough, and also asked to see the paperwork for our trailer. He also asked for the dog's vaccination records, which we made sure we had with us.

Mileage is back up to the 25.5 mpg area. A little wind from Pendleton to Kennewick then it let up and the average went back up. I'm not used to a vehicle that gives me such a granular breakdown of mileage numbers, but it does help to encourage me to squeeze out as much mpg as I can. My hand calculations / log come up with the exact same numbers as the dash does, which means I can trust what the truck is telling me.

I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with the 2.7L Ecoboost after driving it for 2300 miles in all kinds of conditions. Passing is effortless, particularly on a steep mountain grade. I think it will be a fine tow vehicle and can't wait to hook up tomorrow morning and head to our first campsite.

Cheers!

Robert
Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #259

Trailer: Escape 21 pick up on 5/26/15.
Wow, what a range! Congrats on the new tow and the new trailer. I know it's exciting and my day is coming in late May!

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #260
Site Team

Glad you got to Chilliwack safely Robert! I'm equally impressed with my F-150 ecoboost. There's something about that big green bar in the dash that makes you pay attention to the pressure on the right foot!

Exciting times ahead!