It's official - Tow is On The Way - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #131

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
BMW did careful studies many years ago which showed that a typical (non-turbo) engine converted fuel to energy driving the car most efficiently at about 3/4 open throttle (and low engine speed), leading to a strategy of getting up to speed relatively quickly - while shifting early to keep the engine speed down - for best economy. Perhaps an EcoBoost engine shows a similar benefit when operated in moderate boost at moderate speed.
Interesting. So maybe it's not that a turbo benefits from getting up to speed quicker, but non-turbo as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRietkerk View Post
Perfect, you save the wear and tear on your new truck and you will be able to deal with any new truck issues while around home. $200 well spent in my view.
Those were my thoughts too.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #132

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
One of the biggest gas-savers comes from pulling away from stop lights more slowly. We have an Eco light and if it is used, the driver will pull away more slowly, thereby saving gas, and will drive more slowly at getting up to speed, saving more gas. I try to use it.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #133

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
One of the biggest gas-savers comes from pulling away from stop lights more slowly. We have an Eco light and if it is used, the driver will pull away more slowly, thereby saving gas, and will drive more slowly at getting up to speed, saving more gas. I try to use it.
Very true, but in most cities you would think everyone is running the quarter mile. Same for the speed limit. Whats that? And I forget where it was out west where there was no speed limit at all. At least with pulling a trailer you have an excuse to take it a little easier on the throttle. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #134
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
......And I forget where it was out west where there was no speed limit at all. At least with pulling a trailer you have an excuse to take it a little easier on the throttle. Loren
I'm not certain when you talk about "WEST." I live in Oregon, right up against the Pacific Ocean. We have very specific MPH on our highways (federal, state, county, city). Just exceed the limits (wherever), I dare you. AND, thanks for contributing to our general fund (laughing here).

Please visit Oregon, enjoy your stay, spend your money. But, we are tree huggers, honest
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #135

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
State Speed Limit Laws
Old 03-07-2015, 02:16 AM   #136
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The only down side to this scenario is the trip up north will enable a good break in period adjustment unattached and towing home a good towing break in adjustment. Now Robert will have 2 brand new toys in his drive way and he can not tow until he puts 1,000 miles of driving on one of them!!
Other than that it is a win/win scenario.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:28 AM   #137

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's old news Pat. The production kinks are working themselves out. The 2015 4x2 2.7L Ecoboost will tow 8200 lbs.
What scares me is when I read not all trucks being able to tow .What would I want a truck for then ? I really don't like engine not being steel either . The body I can live with . I remember in the past problems with spark plugs in aluminum . What if you bought a used truck down the line and no one is clear whether it is really set up for towing . I know for years now trucks need to be camper certified or you can't put a camper on . In the old days you had a truck and put the camper on and away you went . Now all trucks are not the same trans , radiator, brakes , etc .so you need a camper certified to put that camper on .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #138

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I was sitting in the RAV while my wife picked up groceries today and a woman driving a Ford F150 4X4X4 ( it had seats for four, or maybe six ), long box ( or at least not short ) tried to park next to me.
Given the space she had available, she did pretty good, but the rear of the truck was still angled to prevent me from getting out of my spot.
We rolled down our power windows and she said, "I don't drive this truck normally". And, I said, "I don't blame you".
Another shopper assured her she could back out without hitting me, and she found three spots nearby that were clear and she could park.
I have enough trouble parking the RAV in these increasingly narrower parking spots in mall lots. I can't imagine having to drive a truck on a daily basis.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:46 AM   #139

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Sounds just like me, I don't even try to park near other vehicles. I'm one of those trucks parked 10 off in the far corner of the lots, heck I need the exercise. At 21' it doesn't fit lengthwise in a single slot much less width wise, turns like a cruise ship too.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #140

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I drive my F-350 every day for work, and have no issue parking at malls, or wherever. I just back into spots. If too tight, I just head to the periphery to find a spot. Of course, unlike baglo's girl, I have driven a big pickup lots, and have learned how to get around with it.

Heck, I often have a big dump trailer behind it too, while driving around town. I have become very proficient at backing it into a parallel parking spot just big enough to fit.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote