It's official - Tow is On The Way - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #261
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
That is a pretty amazing cruising range for sure. Don't know if my heart could
Take paying for 30 or 35 gallons of fuel if or when it goes back to $4.00. When I'm on the road I like to stop about every 150 miles and move around a little and check the trailer. I will go 200 but that's about my limit. My kids will run 300, stop for 5 minutes and drive 300 more. When I was their age I didn't own anything that would go that far without repairs. Pictures of the new 19 and new tow hooked up as the modern combination of the Texas Cannonball are much anticipated.
Dave
I couldn't agree more about the regular stops - its just that our stops (except for 3) weren't at gas stations. We stop about every 200 miles or so, usually at a rest area. Stretch the legs, go to the restroom, walk the dog a bit, have a drink, then back on the road. We set the cruise at the speed limit but we plan to tow about 5 mph slower. This strategy made the 2300 mile trip in 5 days a piece of cake. We've already had a great time and we haven't even picked up Past Tents yet.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #262

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
They wanted to see the paperwork on a trailer that you don't have yet? I guess they want to know why you are coming into Canada and that your story checks out. Several other posters including myself have mentioned that the Sumas crossing is pretty strict. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #263

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
"Have to make sure you aren't tourists" - George Bush
Old 03-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #264

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The Border official at the Sumas crossing was VERY thorough, and also asked to see the paperwork for our trailer. He also asked for the dog's vaccination records, which we made sure we had with us.

Robert
Good grief, the boarder official must have had a bad cup of joe, the 2 times I crossed Gonzo th' Dawg stuck his head out the window to say hello and nary a word was said other than to ask where I was from and the purpose of my trip.

Hmmm, did you really look that suspicious?
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #265

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Texas plates.

Good report Robert. Love to hear how she does towing. Best Western tonight?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #266

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Maybe it was crossing with a load of gear for a trip to Texas and telling the border guard you were only staying overnight...
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #267
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Texas plates.

Good report Robert. Love to hear how she does towing. Best Western tonight?
More like no plate on front except the colored piece of cardboard that says "Leif Johnson Ford" and the temporary paper tag on the back. We have personalized plates but we can't legally attach them until we get the registration documents (sticker) in the mail -- which we won't have until we return to Texas.

We're at the Hampton Inn. I have a ton of HHonors points so it was free.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:07 AM   #268

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Texas plates.

People think we all carry guns.

We'll be making this trek in late September, so I'm interested in your report, too, Robert. Thanks...
Old 03-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #269

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
More like no plate on front except the colored piece of cardboard that says "Leif Johnson Ford" and the temporary paper tag on the back. We have personalized plates but we can't legally attach them until we get the registration documents (sticker) in the mail -- which we won't have until we return to Texas.
Many years ago I rented a van for a week from Houston, and it had nothing but a paper form taped in the rear window... and I still find this strange. Here, when you register the vehicle you get a plate - always. If you're getting a personalized plate, you get a regular plate to use until the personalized one comes. Law enforcement officers shouldn't be surprised by the paper, but for most people a vehicle here without a real license plate looks suspicious.

We were stopped once when driving by a police officer in B.C. (who had someone else pulled over), because we had no front plate. Once he realized we are from Alberta (where only rear plates are used) there was no problem... but not having the expected plates can always attract attention.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:46 AM   #270

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There is a camera at customs that photographs your front plate and probably runs it while you wait your turn to talk to the agent. Might be another that photographs your rear plate.
Anyway, if you screw up the system by not having a plate, you're going to face more questions.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:01 AM   #271

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I was told to take off my sunglasses and memorize my rear tag to give to the officer, the camera is obscured by your trailer, otherwise he has to get off his seat and come out to look, which does not make them happy. Having a temp plate is another red flag. They have to run the permanent plates thru the computer to see if you are on any lists, otherwise you may be suspect.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #272
Site Team

Yeah, I figured there would be a little more scrutiny because of the plates, but to be honest the border was quick and easy. I've had much more difficulty getting through US customs at an airport upon my return home.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #273
Site Team

By the way, we were parked at the IGA yesterday and saw a bunch of border patrol vehicles clustered together with their lights going just to the west of the parking lot. 5 minutes later an ambulance turned down the street, siren on. Now we know why:
Border Patrol agent in Washington state shoots person dead
Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #274

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
We had an interesting experience when crossing into Canada. The agent was very laid back and when we told him we were going to ETI, he smiled and said that his parents had one and really liked it. Very quick!
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #275

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
By the way, we were parked at the IGA yesterday and saw a bunch of border patrol vehicles clustered together with their lights going just to the west of the parking lot. 5 minutes later an ambulance turned down the street, siren on. Now we know why:
Wow,that linked article reminds me of the military phrase, "Halt or we will shoot you"
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #276

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Saw that on the news this morning. My first thought was I hope Robert was long gone when that happened.
Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #277

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Saw that on the news this morning. My first thought was I hope Robert was long gone when that happened.
Mark
I was thinking the same as I read this thread. I see on CBC news the shooting was about 230, could have been about the time Robert was crossing, but of course they shot someone south of Sumas, likely no where close to the highway.

Glad you made it safely Robert, hope you have a wonderful trip home with Past Tents.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #278

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
These last two comments, along with the previous well-wishes, are testimonials of how much folks care about each other on this site. What a remarkable community!

Thanks for the travel updates, Robert. So glad you are lovin' the Eco-Boost and are safe in Chilliwack. Looking forward to more good news. You may even see our baby in its' infancy--went into production Monday.

Guess you'll be sending out photos of the tow and Past Tents soon. Aren't you glad the waiting is over?!!! All the best---
Peace~
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #279

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There is a camera at customs that photographs your front plate and probably runs it while you wait your turn to talk to the agent. Might be another that photographs your rear plate.
Anyway, if you screw up the system by not having a plate, you're going to face more questions.
Kansas only issues one plate and I never gave that a thought. Maybe that's why the extra hassle. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #280

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With that range I'd have to make an excuse to stop for gas, just to use the rest room........
You can stop anywhere…..you are towing your restroom!

A large tank like Robert's would be great for us.

We explore roads less travelled in B.C. and I find myself toping up a half full tank to make sure we can fully explore an area before finding the next fill up.

Also carrying 36 gal of inexpensive (by Canadian standards) fuel home from the USA border is better than just 20.