It's official - Tow is On The Way - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Its too bad you can't/aren't able to show off the rig in Osoyoos, it would be a highlight for many I'm sure. Including me.
I know, we really wanted to be there Bruce so we could see a ton of Escapes in one place. But, we are going to get nice 5 week vacation picking her up. The dates just didn't line up. We've already marked down the Osoyoos Rally for 2016.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
You might consider getting an actual topper for the truck, as that will enable you to carry even more stuff. Plus it's nice when you don't have the trailer and want to camp for a night, you can sleep in the back with a small mattress. I've camped many nights with my pickup and topper, going places where no man could go with a trailer (though a woman maybe could).
I got a fiberglass tonneau cover for my tow. I wanted to keep more of the pickup look plus a shell makes the rig look so darn big. It was manufactured by ARE, is molded the same as the hood, and painted to match the truck. This one has one of the heavier locks that I have seen but if anyone wants in, they will just have to make a little more racket. Also had the box sprayed with Line-x to keep cargo from sliding around. The truck bed spray and the tonneau inner cover lining matched so it makes for a pretty neat looking cargo area. Tonneau cover was $1500 and the bed spray was $500. The truck paint and the wheels match the ones on the trailer. Now I am toying with the idea of having matching trim on the truck like Alf did with his. I wonder if ETI did that for him. Loren

Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I wouldn't want a cap (topper) on a pickup unless the sides opened up as big hatches, or the entire contents were in slide-outs. Without one of those, it would be like having a van with the side doors welded shut.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
This is a photo of my current truck. My first shell did not have side hatches. I would never go back. I cannot stress how useful and convienient the bed of the truck becomes. An important feature is a T handle so you can open with one hand.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Let's see if this works
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8129.jpg (153.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8130.jpg (169.3 KB, 36 views)
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Let's see if this works
As a work truck, that looks like a great arrangement.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 17b
I had a similar deal, except I built two long drawers under a piece of plywood that covered the entire bed of the truck. The drawers went the entire length, so lots of storage, and you could sleep on the piece of plywood (with mattress). It was easy to reach things through the side windows as everything was a bit elevated. I would never have a truck w/o a topper on it and a similar arrangement. It was good for about anything. Not saying you should do that, but I like to get away without hauling much and it was perfect for a few nights way out in the backcountry.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Let's see if this works
Nice shell... but I'm more impressed by the three falcons that it is set up to carry! I've seen lots of dog boxes (for sled dog teams), but that's the first bird box.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
For a work truck, I like my van. I have my ladders with me at all times and have hauled 20 foot lumber up there. But the ladders sure hurt my gas mileage. Putting the tonneau cover on the pickup chopped my option for hauling tall things, but it is hard for one vehicle to be perfect for everything. The van is set up for work and the pickup is set up for play. And I hope to use the pickup a lot more than the van in these next years. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Wow! Excellent choice. Can't wait to see it and get the full scoop on mileage, towing, etc. when you get here to Bandera for the rally in April. Congratulations in a big way.

MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote