It's official - Tow is On The Way - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I think Iowa, Kansas,Nebraska, and South Dakota have the most. i.e. "The Corn Belt"

Old 02-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #72

Trailer: None
In our area ,all 3 grades of gas contain ethanol .You can find 93 octane pure gasoline at a few stations but there are restrictions on its use and the cost is often a $/ gal or more over regular.. The stated ethanol level in gas is < =10% yet when independent tests were done ,they found ethanol levels approaching 20 %. Their report seem to indicate that there is money to make by fudging with the ethanol level and there is little oversight by any authority ,since most states tax gas per gallon .
Their major concern is that the gas pumps are accurate

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #73

Trailer: Escape
The loss in performance when using lower octane fuels during turbo boost is a result of the power control module retarding timing and limiting boost. Higher octane fuels do not contribute more energy but resist igniting the air fuel mix before the optimum piston position during the compression stroke.
Rbryan4, I am not seeking a argument but am trying to relate knowledge and experience.
I wish you well:
May your trucks "check money" light not come on.
May your power control module not enable the limp in mode (especially during towing or hauling).
May you get good service from your low cubic inch displacement engine.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #74

Trailer: None
Ford engineers calculated a 13% loss of horsepower when running regular gas over premiums fuel in the ecoboost engine.. Whether that loss in performance is notable to the average driver ,I have no idea. . I would hate to see this thread turn into the ridiculous types
of threads you see on the Auto forums. We should all be happy that one of our members has a new TV and soon a new Escape
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #75
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think the biggest difference is fuel mileage has less to do with the type of fuel as much as how hard someone is pushing on the accelerator peddle! I get the best fuel mileage in my 2014 Ford F-150 w/ecoboost at 1500 rpm.... no matter the speed or towing/non-towing conditions.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #76

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Driving conditions vary enough that it has been tough to do an accurate comparison, but I've convinced myself for now that my 2013 F150 Ecoboost gets slightly better mileage with the higher octane...without the trailer. With the trailer it does not seem to matter, Usually just a shade under 14 mpg. I'll look for Donna's 1500rpm sweetspot. I sure do like that truck though...
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #77

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You do have to avoid 20% ethanol with the EB's.
Now that I agree with wholeheartedly. Ethanol (the mix here is usually 'up to 15%') is just bad on the engine and fuel system. Less bang for the buck too. Before I started religiously using fuel stabilizer in all my power equipment (chain saws, mowers, etc) I had issues getting them started if they sat for more than a month. The ethanol separates from the gas and gunks up the fuel system. Worse yet, the US taxpayer pays a hefty price subsidizing the growers who raise corn for ethanol. I envy the folks in Oklahoma -- they have a choice of "no ethanol" gas. Here in Texas, no choice.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I am not seeking a argument but am trying to relate knowledge and experience.
Of course you aren't, and I don't take it that way Jubal. You've always been very helpful.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #79

Trailer: Escape
Ethanol free gas

I became tired of repairing or replacing the fuel systems on the 2 and 4 cycle small engines such as lawn mower, wood splitter , chain saw, generator etc. It is cheaper in the long run to buy pure gasoline that is more expensive. Gas that is not blended with alcohol is available in most US and Canada. I was surprised it was available in the town close to us.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Mouse over and click on the state or providence that you live in. It is interesting to note that Alaska does not sell gasoline with ethanol. Most of the operating capital for Alaska state expenditure is from taxing the oil industry.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I became tired of repairing or replacing the fuel systems on the 2 and 4 cycle small engines such as lawn mower, wood splitter , chain saw, generator etc. It is cheaper in the long run to buy pure gasoline that is more expensive. Gas that is not blended with alcohol is available in most US and Canada. I was surprised it was available in the town close to us.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Mouse over and click on the state or providence that you live in. It is interesting to note that Alaska does not sell gasoline with ethanol. Most of the operating capital for Alaska state expenditure is from taxing the oil industry.
One clarifier: many of the "gas stations" listed on their map aren't gas stations at all, but fuel distributors or oil companies -- that don't sell to the general public. There's nothing within a couple hundred miles of us.