Jeep Grand Cherokee as Tow Vehicle - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Historically, I think Cherokee was born first...
Each variation of the name have been used on more than one generation of unrelated Jeep vehicles, as well as the really old ones in which the Grand Cherokee actually was a fancy version of the Cherokee, both derived from the Wagoneer of the 1960's. The Cherokee Chief shown above is from that 1970's era of related models.

Since 1984, there has been no connection between anything with a Cherokee label and anything with a Grand Cherokee label. The "Grand" is always the bigger and fancier model of the two.

The current Cherokee is Chrysler's big SUV variant of a Fiat platform; the current Grand Cherokee is Chrysler's bigger SUV variant of an unrelated (to the Cherokee or any Fiat) platform shared with Mercedes (the GLE).

For another vehicle which actually is related to the Grand Cherokee, and almost exactly the same vehicle but with a different name badge and a longer body, there's the Dodge Durango. Some forum owners have towed with the Durango, which is very capable with its longer wheelbase (although the rated towing capacity is the same)... but even the Grand Cherokee is toward the large end of the SUV size range.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Love the Durango. That's the rental that we had in PEI that left the air dam below the front bumper in the ditch along the park access road, after hitting a bump.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape19-2016 2nd Gen.; TV: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
Jeep Ecodiesel

We are still quite new to towing our Escape 19 with our Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Ecodiesel. We are enjoying both! The Jeep is comfortable and the 19 pulls easily. So far we have been getting fuel economy in the 17.5 - 19 mpg range. The latter number was on two lane roads without any significant winds. This puts it in the same range as a Sprinter van, which was my original "dream machine" until I came across the Escape line and did some rethinking ($$$) on the subject.

I did replace the ball mount on our Pro hitch with one that would give us a 4" drop. The front of the trailer is still about an inch higher than the back (without a load in the Jeep), which seems to work well.

Happy Campers!
RandS
RandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape19-2016 2nd Gen.; TV: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
Mirrors

Another 2 cents on the JGC: Per suggestions in this group, I chose the Dometic Milenco Grand Aero mirrors. I mount them under the Jeep's mirror as the housing is straighter and I like the extra mirrors to be out of my driving sight line. I did cut off about an inch and half on each bar to bring the Grand Aeros in closer to the Jeep's mirrors. I haven't used them in high wind situations but even when passing semis (or visa versa) they have been quite stable and quiet.
RandS
RandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #45

Trailer: Trailerless
Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHStools View Post
After much research I bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is a great car. It can pull 6200 Lbs and comes with a full size spare. I plan to tow a 17' Escape. What recommendations for the Hitch and sway bars does anyone have when using this as a TV? What experiences do other Grand Cherokee owners have when towing?
I pulled a 1996 Jayco 21ft. TT weighing 4200lbs loaded with my 2005 JGC with a 4.7 V8 with a tow package for 6 years. It only had trouble pulling over the Sierra when it dropped down to second gear at 4000 rpm. I pulled coast to coast. In 2010 I was pulling a new Flagstaff 21ft Micro Lite weighing 3737 lbs. loaded and basically performed the same as pulling the Jayco. In 2016, I purchased new JGC limited with Hemi V8 and tow package. Pulled Flagstaff effortlessly. I give the 8 speed transmission credit for better gas milage than the smaller 4.7 V8. Also pulled coast to coast. Now I’m looking forward to pulling a 17 or 19 Escape (if I ever decide which) and based on conversations with current Escape owners believe I will barely notice I am pulling anything. Although I’ve experieced wind resistence and sway from passing big rigs I believe it had more to do with the boxy design and 8 ft. width of the trailers and had nothing to do with the JGC shorter wheel base. And I’ve seen lots of JGCs pulling larger Airstreams and Lances. I used an ez lift wdh and sway bar with the two trailers. When I got the 2016 I started using the Andersen.( got tried of dealing with grease and it fits in a small box.)
Up2speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Milencos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandS View Post
Another 2 cents on the JGC: Per suggestions in this group, I chose the Dometic Milenco Grand Aero mirrors. I mount them under the Jeep's mirror as the housing is straighter and I like the extra mirrors to be out of my driving sight line. I did cut off about an inch and half on each bar to bring the Grand Aeros in closer to the Jeep's mirrors. I haven't used them in high wind situations but even when passing semis (or visa versa) they have been quite stable and quiet.
RandS
I did the same on my Milencos on the 2018 Highlander. I was in a 60mph crosswind in Nebraska and they stayed right where I mounted them. On the 2012 I mouthed them on the top of the factory mirrors.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #47

Trailer: Trailerless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I did the same on my Milencos on the 2018 Highlander. I was in a 60mph crosswind in Nebraska and they stayed right where I mounted them. On the 2012 I mouthed them on the top of the factory mirrors.
Iowa Dave
I have been using a set of mirrors that use suction cups to fasten to JGC mirrors. Purchased at Camping World and now almost 8 years old and never a problem.
Up2speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:50 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2speed4 View Post
I have been using a set of mirrors that use suction cups to fasten to JGC mirrors. Purchased at Camping World and now almost 8 years old and never a problem.

Except that they block a portion of the mirror they are attached to and they can't be adjusted independently like mirrors that attach to the housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Aero 1.jpg   Grand Aero 2.jpg   Milenco .jpg  
Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 21'
Hitch

If you are looking for a lightly used Anderson sway control hitch, I have one I can sell. I currently have it listed for $250 but am open to offers. New they are about $500 on line. We bought it for our 21' with a 3 liter diesel pickup TV , and found we didn't need it. It's been sitting in the garage for the last 2 years. We used it to tow at most 500 miles.
Marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #50

Trailer: none
We have a 2015 Grande Cherokee we use to pull a 19' Escape. We love it and have had no problems pulling through mountains or across deserts. We have the standard weight distribution hitch from Escape. They set it up and I haven't had to change a thing. Have fun.
Roger Shipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 21
According to my JGC build sheet, it has the rear load leveling suspension, not the Quadra-lift. (There is no shutoff knob). My Jeep users manual carries a WARNING! If the gross trailer weight is 3,500 lbs (1 587 kg) or more, it is mandatory to use a weight-distributing hitch. I really like the safety features of the Fastway E2 with sway control for my Escape 21 when it gets (easily and quickly) loaded past 3500 pounds.

My ETI build sheet carries its own warning for their WDH “Not Compatible with vehicles that have an Air Leveling Suspension System.” (I don’t think my system uses air to level the Jeep’s rear, so maybe that disqualifies the warning from ETI?).

Then, Fastway answers my email regarding this rear load leveling suspension issue saying; “properly setup, this is not an issue. so yes the E2 is compatible with your set up and completely safe.”

Which is it, and can I proceed with having ETI install the Fastway E2 hitch?

Tags
hitch, jeep, sway, towing vehicle