Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #71

Trailer: not yet
Mike,
I really wasn't wishing troubles on Fran and Dave. Actually, I'm just going to miss them as we'll be visiting the factory this coming Thursday, the 18th. I think they'll be long gone by then. But I'm sure they will be sharing pictures of their new pride and joy.

LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Leonard,

I fully understood you were not wishing Fran and Dave any problems, that thought never entered my mind. It was clear to me you were only making fun...

Thanks,
Mik

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #73

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
With Diesel, It is important to note the relative equality of the MB V6 and the new dual turbo Four.
I'm not sure what is supposed to be equal - the ML's V6 is larger and has both more power and more torque than the GLK's four - all current diesels are turbos. The GLK gasoline V6 and diesel four may have similar output, due to the diesel's turbocharging; that's a pretty common situation. Comparing the Grand Cherokee's gas V8 and turbodiesel V6 is somewhat similar.

In any case, neither Mercedes diesel is the engine on the new Grand Cherokee - Chrysler does't get Mercedes engines any more. The Jeep's 3.0 is similar to the ML's engine in size, configuration, and output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
European towing ratings are based upon the braking capacity of the tow vehicle since they "assume" that the trailer has no brakes.
That seems unlikely to me, since Euro rules require brakes on trailers over a certain weight (so at their rated limits both GLK and ML would be towing trailers with brakes in Europe) and both the Euro limits and Mercedes' likely lower North American limits would typically be too high for safe operation without brakes.

I don't think the lower limits of the Mercedes models, compared to the Jeep, are related to European practices.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #74

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo we owned cost around $200-250 for an oil change (this was the V6 turbo from Mercedes - had Mercedes markings on some of the parts). Loved the torque, disappointed with reliability and maintenance costs (perhaps I got a lemon). I wouldn't purchase another until reliability for the new engines are proven.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #75

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
The 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo we owned cost around $200-250 for an oil change ...
... disappointed with reliability and maintenance costs (perhaps I got a lemon). I wouldn't purchase another until reliability for the new engines are proven.
And that's the Mercedes-Benz OM642 engine, used in Sprinter and Vito vans and a wide variety of Mercedes cars... not some oddball thing for Jeep. It's no wonder that many people are cautious about choosing a turbodiesel!

Some of that cost of maintenance may come with being a Mercedes (and BMW and even VW can be similar), rather than coming from being a diesel.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I had a $2400 oil change with my Jeep CRD Liberty. Using synthetic oil I mistakenly stopped at Jiffy Lube who changed my oil with the synthetic for about $80 whereas dealer was closer to $150. However 4000 miles later back at the dealer I was told the oil pan, made from aluminum was stripped. Cost to replace, $2400 Seem JiffyLube grease monkeys used and adjustable wrench. Several phone calls ands days later JiffyLube put me in a rental and paid the dealer $1900 to fix the oil pan why it was $500 less than my quote I was never told. But I have never been back to JiffyLube.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I went to a similar shop with my Subaru many years ago. Some kid with acne and no skills stripped the nut, couldn't do the oil change and sent me on my way. My dealer was left to fix the problem and do the oil change.
Never again.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #78

Trailer: 17B 2017
Ram 1500 press release,
3.0-liter EcoDiesel towing capacity rated at 9,200 lbs. - In a 2WD, two-door, long bed configuration
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #79
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I have been reading a lot about these new diesels in the Jeep and Ram, it seems they are eco-friendly due to using urea in the exhaust. There is a separate 8 gallon tank which is supposed to last approximately 10,000 miles your oil change interval. When you have the oil serviced they will also fill this tank. Urea is also available at most Flying J truck stops as it have been in use for awhile. I like the 10k oil change interval, my old Jeep CRD had a 5k interval. Due to the turbo setup the synthetic oil got really dirty quick, but the oil changes were quite expensive. With a 10k change it makes it more economical. especially with increased mpg numbers being touted.