Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I didn't know a larger 5.0 was in the making? Where did you read or hear about the new 5.0?

Thanks,
Mike
Maybe gossip posts like this from Tammy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
I guess we will be seeing Vicki next Spring then when the new tandem 5.0 comes out . Lol

Tammy
.....or the fact that Reace has been talking about it since the 2012 Escape Rally. Rumoured to be only a bit longer, but also a bit wider I believe, and capable of being towed by a full sized pickup.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow,
Perhaps a new 21' Escape 5th to match the new Escape 21' trailer. That 2 foot "itis" is catching.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #63

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Jim,

Thank you, this is very exciting! I know the new 5.0 will be very expensive, but it will be hard to say no...

Thanks again,
Mike
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #64

Trailer: 2010 escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob120 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Jeep Grand Cherokee towing a 19’? According to auto show reports, they will apparently include a diesel option this year.
I have had a look at the Grand Cherokee Diesel and have been impressed but it a heavy vehicle with reasonable mileage and available air suspension for self leveling. This one is quite pricey.

Also looking at Mercedes GLK250 with loads of torque and better mileage and less pricey. Does not have air suspension but equalizing hitch goes well. I have had several experiences with this engine in Europe and was very impressed by power and smoothness. This engine will replace the V6 diesel in the Mercedes E class cars and wagon in 2014. The E class wagon has same weight and towing capacity as the GLK for 20 grand less.

Currently towing a loaded 19" with an 99 Mercedes 5L coupe (had it before the trailer). Once I got a hitch modified there were no problems with the unit body and self leveling was standard on that model. I am using a Hensley trapazoid hitch, I can tow at 120 kph no problem and on three lane hills in Virginia mountains have zipped up between two transports with no wind buffeting or other movement on the car--I like the hitch. No movement in strong cross winds or heavy rain storms.

For stability don't let the towing suspension take all of the leveling load. Generally there is too much bounce without some Tension on leveling bars and take some of the concern about load distribution in trailer.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #65

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Also looking at Mercedes GLK250 with loads of torque and better mileage and less pricey.
A recent magazine article compared the Grand Cherokee to the Mercedes ML 350 BlueTEC - that is a closer comparison. The GLK may be a fine match for many Escape trailers, but it is significantly shorter (in wheelbase, the critical dimension for towing) than the ML, and somewhat lighter. The smaller size of the GLK is presumably why it gets the 2.1L 4-cylinder diesel, while the ML gets the 3.0L 6-cylinder; the 2.1 may have "loads of torque", but the 3.0 has substantially more.

Mercedes Canada shows the towing capacity of the GLK at only 1588 kg (3500 lb). I do not want to start a discussion of how some RV dealer can set up a vehicle to tow far beyond its rated capacity - that's always an unproductive debate - but the rating is an indication that the GLK may not be comparable to an ML or Grand Cherokee for towing ability.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #66

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Scuba, like you I too have the 2011 Frontier short bed (6 cyl/4x) and before I decided on a 19' Escape (which we just picked up a few weeks ago) I too had 5.0 on the brain in a big way. After comparing the required distance from the back of the cab to the centerline of the rear axel to what Tammy told me in an email was the minimum, it just wouldn't work. I'll confess to being somewhat cautious (maybe overly so), but decided that the additional cost of a slider or an extender (not to mention the loss of the truck bed) just wasn't worth the risk. But I'm here to tell you, the 19' is a dream to pull and with an Andersen WDH is a snap to hook and un-hook to the TV. I'm a first-timer but after Dave's orientation, Dennis' education on the hook-up & towing (and hours on this Forum), I found it a breeze to operate the 19'. For what it's worth...
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #67

Trailer: 2010 escape 19
With Diesel, It is important to note the relative equality of the MB V6 and the new dual turbo Four.
European towing ratings are based upon the braking capacity of the tow vehicle since they "assume" that the trailer has no brakes. I have had two european vehicles with fluid or air suspension and each end of vehicle is individually controlled and more recently with independent suspensions all round, each corner has a valve mostly now with electronic control like the after market air suspensions sold for american trucks and cars.

Diesel manufactures are all interrelated. Mercedes and Cummins. I believe Audi/VW related to MV in Italy -- they all have a history of durability. Having driven two diesel MB maintenance is not more expensive than with a comparable gasoline engine. European drivers have a almost an equal preference for diesel and gasoline, and not necessarily driven a fuel price differenctial.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #68

Zardoz,

Congratulations on your new 19"! The 19' is a very possible option for us, and thank you for letting me know it tows nicely with the Frontier. Fran and Dave are picking up their 5.0 today and towing it with the Frontier short bed. If it does not work well for them, I certainly am going to consider the 19, it too is a very nice trailer. I am going to Bandon this weekend to view all of the Escapes. I have never seen one in person, am really looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks, and happy travels,
Mike
Old 07-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #69

Trailer: not yet
I think Fran and Dave towed a Scamp 19 with their short bed Frontier. Pictures made it look like they were just aft of axle on the pivot, but I was just looking at their pictures. Since neither the 19 Scamp nor Escape 5.0 has a really heavy pivot weight ,I expect to hear that they're having no problem with their new (to them) 5.0.

Of course if they do have an issue, my long bed Fromtier is waiting for a good deal to show up. :-)
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #70

Lenard,

Very funny, but I think you're right, Fran and Dave most likely will not have a problem, that's my hope!

Take care,
Mike
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #71

Trailer: not yet
Mike,
I really wasn't wishing troubles on Fran and Dave. Actually, I'm just going to miss them as we'll be visiting the factory this coming Thursday, the 18th. I think they'll be long gone by then. But I'm sure they will be sharing pictures of their new pride and joy.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #72

Leonard,

I fully understood you were not wishing Fran and Dave any problems, that thought never entered my mind. It was clear to me you were only making fun...

Thanks,
Mik
Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #73

Quote:
With Diesel, It is important to note the relative equality of the MB V6 and the new dual turbo Four.
I'm not sure what is supposed to be equal - the ML's V6 is larger and has both more power and more torque than the GLK's four - all current diesels are turbos. The GLK gasoline V6 and diesel four may have similar output, due to the diesel's turbocharging; that's a pretty common situation. Comparing the Grand Cherokee's gas V8 and turbodiesel V6 is somewhat similar.

In any case, neither Mercedes diesel is the engine on the new Grand Cherokee - Chrysler does't get Mercedes engines any more. The Jeep's 3.0 is similar to the ML's engine in size, configuration, and output.

Quote:
European towing ratings are based upon the braking capacity of the tow vehicle since they "assume" that the trailer has no brakes.
That seems unlikely to me, since Euro rules require brakes on trailers over a certain weight (so at their rated limits both GLK and ML would be towing trailers with brakes in Europe) and both the Euro limits and Mercedes' likely lower North American limits would typically be too high for safe operation without brakes.

I don't think the lower limits of the Mercedes models, compared to the Jeep, are related to European practices.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #74

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
The 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo we owned cost around $200-250 for an oil change (this was the V6 turbo from Mercedes - had Mercedes markings on some of the parts). Loved the torque, disappointed with reliability and maintenance costs (perhaps I got a lemon). I wouldn't purchase another until reliability for the new engines are proven.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
The 2007 Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo we owned cost around $200-250 for an oil change ...
... disappointed with reliability and maintenance costs (perhaps I got a lemon). I wouldn't purchase another until reliability for the new engines are proven.
And that's the Mercedes-Benz OM642 engine, used in Sprinter and Vito vans and a wide variety of Mercedes cars... not some oddball thing for Jeep. It's no wonder that many people are cautious about choosing a turbodiesel!

Some of that cost of maintenance may come with being a Mercedes (and BMW and even VW can be similar), rather than coming from being a diesel.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #76

I had a $2400 oil change with my Jeep CRD Liberty. Using synthetic oil I mistakenly stopped at Jiffy Lube who changed my oil with the synthetic for about $80 whereas dealer was closer to $150. However 4000 miles later back at the dealer I was told the oil pan, made from aluminum was stripped. Cost to replace, $2400 Seem JiffyLube grease monkeys used and adjustable wrench. Several phone calls ands days later JiffyLube put me in a rental and paid the dealer $1900 to fix the oil pan why it was $500 less than my quote I was never told. But I have never been back to JiffyLube.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I went to a similar shop with my Subaru many years ago. Some kid with acne and no skills stripped the nut, couldn't do the oil change and sent me on my way. My dealer was left to fix the problem and do the oil change.
Never again.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #78

Trailer: 17
Ram 1500 press release,
3.0-liter EcoDiesel towing capacity rated at 9,200 lbs. - In a 2WD, two-door, long bed configuration
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #79

I have been reading a lot about these new diesels in the Jeep and Ram, it seems they are eco-friendly due to using urea in the exhaust. There is a separate 8 gallon tank which is supposed to last approximately 10,000 miles your oil change interval. When you have the oil serviced they will also fill this tank. Urea is also available at most Flying J truck stops as it have been in use for awhile. I like the 10k oil change interval, my old Jeep CRD had a 5k interval. Due to the turbo setup the synthetic oil got really dirty quick, but the oil changes were quite expensive. With a 10k change it makes it more economical. especially with increased mpg numbers being touted.