Jeep Grand Cherokee for tow vehicle? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
CMc

Trailer: 2014 Eggcamper
Jeep Grand Cherokee for tow vehicle?

We are planning to order a 21 foot Escape. This will necessitate a different tow vehicle. Garage size is a limiting factor, so a full-size pickup is not in the running. I am wondering if there are folks towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and what their experiences might be. My wife has ruled out a Frontier and a Tacoma for comfort concerns at this point.
Thanks for any advice!
CMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMc View Post
We are planning to order a 21 foot Escape. This will necessitate a different tow vehicle. Garage size is a limiting factor, so a full-size pickup is not in the running. I am wondering if there are folks towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and what their experiences might be. My wife has ruled out a Frontier and a Tacoma for comfort concerns at this point.
Thanks for any advice!
Can't help with the Jeep, but I'd reconsider the Tacoma, at lest one with the newer 3.5L engine. While it pulls the 21 fine, my complaints are too much time at 4000RPM @ 62MPH, and not enough payload for long trips. I love the truck, but will be looking for something a bit bigger.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Craig, I'm sure I'll get blasted by JGC lovers and CR (Consumer Reports) haters for this post, but year after year of poor "predicted reliability" has always stopped us in our tracks every time we've considered any Jeep product. That said, an in-law has enjoyed leasing JGC's because they generally run okay for the duration of a standard lease, and if/when something does go haywire while under lease, it's not money out of his pocket to get it fixed (just the down time). For what it's worth, ETI has always said any tow vehicle rated for 5,000/500 lb towing will handle a 21', though some may perform better than others in challenging situations (like towing over mountain passes). The soon-to-be-released all-new Subaru Ascent is supposed to fall into that 5,000/500 lb towing class. Time will tell if it is up to the task. Best of luck in your search....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My advice would be to listen to your wife ! If you plan on doing a lot of traveling , vehicle comfort is right up there with towing ability IMHO
My neighbor tows a small travel trailer ( 24 or 26 ft) with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and says it works fine

My rule is that whatever CR states then I go in the opposite direction —-QUICKLY !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My advice would be to listen to your wife ! ...
For most of us, that is the smartest option we have!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Just personal opinion based on personal experience, but I believe that while driver seats have gotten more comfortable (10-way power is becoming almost standard), the front passenger seats have gotten less comfortable (some going from power seats to non-power seats, I believe the Honda Odyssey did that recently). For what it's worth, a Honda dealer told us a couple years back that, in an effort to improve fuel efficiency, manufacturer's are trying to decrease weight any way they can - like removing the need for electric motors under the front passenger seat and replacing the spare tire with a can of fix-a-flat. The most comfortable front seats we have found recently, for both driver and passenger, at least for our body shapes and aging/aching bones, is now the Toyota Highlander and the Ford F-150. And that's in a very large part what we now own and drive. But as Donna D always reminds us, YMMV.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I just finished reading a brief news item on CNN that Ford is dropping all but two sedans and all hatchback vehicles in favor of SUVs. Hummmm. Fewer choices for those wanting to tow smaller all-molded towables: Ford's decision to drop sedans and hatchbacks makes sense. Here's why
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I just finished reading a brief news item on CNN that Ford is dropping all but two sedans and all hatchback vehicles in favor of SUVs. Hummmm. Fewer choices for those wanting to tow smaller all-molded towables: Ford's decision to drop sedans and hatchbacks makes sense. Here's why
I think a lot of it is just "branding" and marketing. They will take what is otherwise a station wagon and call it an "SUV". They will take what looks for the world like a hatchback and call it a "crossover". Because that's the verbiage that brings prospective buyers to the showroom. As for Ford's reference to vehicle height, my wife's dream vehicle is something she can just slide into and back out of, not have to climb up to get into, nor climb up to get out of. I agree with her completely, except my "slider" is about 5 inches higher off the ground than her "slider."
Old 05-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I think a lot of it is just "branding" and marketing. They will take what is otherwise a station wagon and call it an "SUV". They will take what looks for the world like a hatchback and call it a "crossover". Because that's the verbiage that brings prospective buyers to the showroom. As for Ford's reference to vehicle height, my wife's dream vehicle is something she can just slide into and back out of, not have to climb up to get into, nor climb up to get out of. I agree with her completely, except my "slider" is about 5 inches higher off the ground than her "slider."
The SLE version of the 2018 Toyota Highlander has a very comfortable, electrically adjustable, passenger seat. The individual climate controls also make the passenger comfortable without having to endure the climactic desires of the driver. No strife, happy wife,
great life, Burma Shave
Iowa Dave
Old 05-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19'
We like our Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has been pulling our 19' just fine.
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Everybody should own a Jeep, once.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Owned two Jeep GC's and towed with both. They towed our boat and trailer well; however, reliability was a problem for both vehicles with problems becoming more frequent and expensive as they increased their age and mileage. None of the vehicles made it to 10 years old which is the minimum we like to keep our vehicles. The Pentastar V6 has plenty of power to tow a 19 or 21 Escape. Nice vehicle but not reliable.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #13

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
jeep

Our first Jeep was a Grand Cherokee with a hemi engine, that was the reason to buy.
After 9x,xxx miles we wanted another but it was not available in 2 wd with the hemi so we bought the Dodge Durango, hemi engine, 2wd and loaded. Needless to say we were impressed with the Jeep to want another but had to go with the Dodge, almost the same. We live at 2500 ft. and the 30 mile road behind our house goes up to 8000 ft. plus. We also travel the mountains a lot so we need the 390# of torque. CR just doesn't like Fiat/Chrysler or so it seems or the old original VW. Not my experience with either.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #14

Mine was a Jeep Grand Cherokee Chief, full time all-wheel-drive ( it was huge ). Bought it used, so all I got was the repair bills. Bought it just before the first 'oil crisis' and, of course, it got six miles to the gallon.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Jack
Thought of you folks the other day, saw a very nice looking 50 Merc, Black, lead sled, pulling
a boler just east of our place last Sunday. Have a great week.
Dave and Rita.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Agree!!
Old 05-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
But while they own that one, they should not own just one vehicle!

But seriously, Chrysler's problem (under its various names) has never been that they make bad vehicles, but that the make inconsistent vehicles. Most of them are fine for many years; a disturbing number (although still a small fraction) of the same models are lemons. It's a bit of a lottery...

One solution is to buy a broken-in and proven used vehicle... but of course the good ones are not the ones most commonly offered for sale.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #18

Two worst vehicles I ever owned were the Jeep and a Fiat. Now they've joined forces.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Two worst vehicles I ever owned were the Jeep and a Fiat. Now they've joined forces.
Fortunately (?) the Grand Cherokee is a child of the Daimler-Chrysler era... sharing a platform with the same vintage (2011-) Mercedes ML/GLE-Class.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #20

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Jeep

I guess I'm very lucky or maybe I take very good care of my things. One jeep GC for
90+ 000 miles with almost no problems even with a new design, now the Durango that only gets oil changes and Nancy's Fiat convert that's 5 years old and also only oil and tire changes. The jeep and Durango have spent most of their life towing nearly 4000# and didn't complain. After the 19 and 21 I'm going to be taking it easy with the 17 so the Dodge will probably last forever. Maybe my 32 ford will get a chance to tow the 17. It's almost in retirement now.
Jack with all my trailer stuff stacked in the garage waiting for July.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote